Offline SOTA issues, what's your issues?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Time Lord, Mar 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Will Castle Atos be able to be entered "Offline?"

It's on my overland map, yet no way to enter.

I sometimes play offline when heavy weather storms are around and when those storms interupt internet service. It's a very different world and a very different Shroud of the Avatar gaming experience.

((I also think our offline play is a very marketable feature for those that don't have internet "yet". Our game is a game that can be downloaded from any local internet cafe' here in S/E Asia and then played from homes which may not have a connection.))

Just asking if anyone knows about Castle Atos offline.

and one more thing, "How about getting some X2 or X3 Exp there?"
    and another thing... "Sell me some pay to win stuff offline OK?" :D:thumbs up:
    ~Time Lord~

Last edited: Mar 12, 2022
  2. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

The offline is great! Only thing missing is my POT :D

I agree that we need Castle Atos offline.

Cordelayne and Time Lord like this.
  3. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I think there's monitization opportunities there our game hasn't taken advantage of :(
    Things are added to the coto store there, but all those things are not geared for promoting offline sales, because they are not offline specific, where pay to win items of many types could do well.

P2W items offline endear the customer to wish to play more, as then they have invested interests in playing the game, and thus promoting the online game from the offline over-achievement confidence.
    Offline ability to modify or treat each town like your own POT would similarly stimulate coto sales.

I also think earning coto through hunting offline is way too easy and should be greatly reduced in offline play for the purposes of monitization.
    ~TL~

Adam Crow and Cordelayne like this.
  4. CatDude

CatDude Avatar

Yes, it functions fully in offline mode.

I concur.

And Chapter 2 story needs to continue offline as well.

Yes, the offline XP needs to be ramped up, at least 2X, optimally 3X, because you can't form parties to farm CP's or get mentoring bonuses.

This I disagree with. I would rather have all recipes be discoverable or purchasable or have better supply bundle drop rates. Better that players craft their own super weapons to complete quests than P2W acquiring them.

I don't think we need to have the ability to modify towns per se, rather we need access to the largest lots and the ability to put any kind of deco on them, included devotionals, so we don't have to run all over Novia for specific blessings.

Arnack and Paladin Michael like this.
  5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

These two, are because there's no Catnip income for development in offline play. "It's just a totally free game without company incentives for development of it".

No one is forced to P2W if that's not what they want to do, thus selling Obsidian potions of X2 or X3 or even X4 Exp would not be something manditory to buy, and there's more deco opportunities when towns can be modified offline. "Selling Deco through COTO makes all the world possible"

We can't expect our developers to work for nothing in return.

I know how you feel
    [​IMG]
    "But it's not" :D~TL~
    Or it shouldn't be ;)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
    Adam Crow likes this.
  6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

It's not able to be entered on my download of the game.
    So you are saying that your Castle Atos is able to be entered?
    Maybe check again. I did and it's not working for me~TL~o_O

7. Mikal Raine

Mikal Raine Bug Hunter

Castle Atos is setup as a player owned town and can not be entered in Offline. That being said, I agree 100% we need Castle Atos in offline mode. That is the only place to get Barrel Flotsam.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. CatDude

CatDude Avatar

A fair argument.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. CatDude

CatDude Avatar

I entered Castle Atos last night in Offline mode, even trained a Blade skill up 25 levels.

Mikal Raine, Adam Crow and Time Lord like this.
  10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I wonder what the difference is o_O It's there on the overland map, but no (ENTER) apears.
    @Duke Gréagóir @Mikal Raine Can either of you enter Castle Atos offline?

Another thing...
    Does everyone here get more COTO from hunting offline when compaired to online?
    There's few hours that don't go by I don't get some COTO from loot there.

We don't get many reviews of our offline game here in our forums.

[​IMG]~TL~

Adam Crow likes this.
  11. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I mean realistically those cotos should probably be dropping like gold in offline mode. I think one of the devs needs to make some runs through and adjust some stuff. Offline mode should at the very least make it very fun, but it should probably just drop a ridiculous amount of items and rewards to keep everyone interested. And also entice people to play online.

12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

It doesn't matter online or offline if we have to pay people to play our game. If diamonds were free, no one would want to pay for them.

Our since of how business works seems way off base when we are not monitizing for future development.

"When setting up a lemonade stand, it's not to give away free lemonade".

It sometimes seems like an intentional plan to become free UO
    [​IMG]
    De-monitization is a clear sign of going out of business :(
    ~TL~

13. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I don’t personally see any issues with offline loot drops. They are completely fine.

Mikal Raine likes this.
  14. CatDude

CatDude Avatar

That is true. I use the "E" key to enter Castle Atos.

15. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Use the E Key! :D Thanks @CatDude !
    Worked like a charm!

Are you saying it's the same amount of COTO for both on and offline, or that more COTO offline are somehow a good thing?
    @Anpu I've made 72 COTO in the last 4 hours of offline play, is that normal? Am I just an over achiever or what? o_O~TL~

16. Vaentorian

Vaentorian Localization Team

@Time Lord I believe part of the reasoning for increased COTO drops offline is that without the player-to-player sales you get in online mode, it will be much harder for players to collect a worthwhile amount.

I take your point about needing options to make money from offline players as well as online, but personally if I felt any significant game content was locked behind a paywall it would give me a more negative view of the game. There's a need for balance between players who have the disposable income to pay for optional extras, and those who don't mind putting in a bit of extra grind for the same or similar results, bearing in mind that too much grind also gives a negative impression.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

While I apreciate what you're saying, our current business plan is losing in gaining players and also losing in gaining development funding through what I see as a totally bad philosophy of how to get people to have interest in playing our game.

You did a accurate job of describing this failing SOTA business philosophy. People do not need COTO to play our game and they should be inticed through envy or the elure of what is being offered in our COTO store. Giving away profits as reward for playing a game that was meant to make money for it's development does not make money, no matter how hopeful the thought of free stuff for a free world for playing in our game wishes it made profits. That philosophy increased, would only make us more broke faster than we are currently decresing our development funding while adhearing to it.

If any non-paying player wishes, they can currently buy COTO from many player's venders for in-game gold. This runs counter productive to the idea that potatoes and carots should sell for only 1gp at the NPC venders. Agriculture profits increase the need or greed for more buying more land deeds from our COTO store, while hunting for COTO or finding COTO in loot only decreases our game's more successful of all our micro transactions, "Obisdian Potions". Our game does not need to give away COTO for playing, they need to be for paying. If we want them to hunt for COTO, then promote buying COTO from player venders, because it does no more harm to our funding, than does giving them away in loot.

Once again I say, "If diamonds were free, no one would want to pay for them" and "when working at a lemonade stand, don't give away profits, make them pay for what you are selling".

Everyone wants to be the good guy that gives things away, which has lead our game to like those who do, while putting our game out of business.

Our game is not increasing it's funding, it's decreasing and on this trajectory, we will become as fundless as any "UO for Free Shard".

There's nothing that can divert the coming emptiness, unless we change our business model.

Offline can be profiable for funding instead of being a free non-profit!

Doing the same things and expecting different results is maddness.

Something(s) must change!
    ~TL~

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
  18. Mikal Raine

Mikal Raine Bug Hunter

Trying to get funding for the game in offline mode would be a waste of time unless they did some other rewriting of the code. In offline you can go in to the save file and change pretty much anything you want. Want 10K cotos? Find the line of code with your coto value and change it. Want your avatar to be level 200? Find your adv xp and change it. I see Offline Mode more akin to the Test Center in UO. It is a place you can go and test things before you try them on the Live Server.

Alley Oop and Anpu like this.
  19. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Im a little confused about something here, how do you know how much funding the game receives? Did I miss something somewhere?

20. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

FACT: Not all players are computer programers and not all computer programers are hackers.
    So if the reason we shouldn't offer items that are esclusive for offline play is due to some players may hack our program(?), then the same can be said for our online game.

Yet further into that even possibly being a reason not to offer items for offline play, "then the same holds true now with all items offered in our COTO shop" and thus no items at all should be offered in offline play? Is that what you are leading to?

FACT:))?): I'm not going to say that you don't listen to Catnip live streams, I'm just going to suggest you have a selective memory or you need to stop smoking that stuff because it's effected your short term memory.

80% programer paychecks ring any bells?

FACT: Chris is a very honest person who saved our game and I believe him in everything he ever has to say. Yes our game will continue to be played and playable, but some on our development staff now do not make full paychecks or as much as programers would normally make as they once did here programing for SOTA.

FACT: Our online COTO Store has a restricted amount of things it offers when compared with what it offers our players offline. That's not an opinion, that's a fact, and since our COTO Store offers everything offline, then it's very possible for our COTO Store to offer our offline players things that it will never offer our online players...

"thus monitization of offline is just something we have yet to currently take advantage of in order to afford more SOTA game development".
    [​IMG]~TL~:cool::thumbs up:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.