Offline SOTA issues, what's your issues?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Time Lord, Mar 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I vote no to ruining offline mode with micro transactions.

Chris never said that the money they receive is decreasing.

2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Hot News Flash:
    • #1: We already monitize offline play with the same stuff we sell online.
    • #2: Chris said some programers have been cut to 80% paychecks, and I don't think that's because our game is making more money for development.
    Those are the facts, unless you think we're making more money so we should pay less to our developers.
    ~TL~

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

They are not monetizing offline with offline purchases and it should stay that way.
    I think you need to re-watch that stream and pay close attention to the timelines. Those pay cuts were far in the past when they (Portalarium) had a much larger staff.

And those are facts.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You don't need to "hack our program" to add crowns to your offline avatar. The save-game file is text format, you only need to open it in a text editor (i.e. wordpad) and add the number of crowns you need. I didn't even bother to implement editing crowns in CotA because you can simply give yourself as much gold as you need then buy the crowns from a crown vendor.

5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

COTO are there, thus they are spent there.
    Much larger staff, much more money than we now have. It's not difficult to add math to that.
    That's a Hack, unintended exploit.

Believe what you want to believe, because what you have there is a belief without support or outcome for your beliefs.

I think they should sell X2 Exp potions in the offline store and you do not because you like to hack that part of our game.

OK, I get that from your point of view, you like hacking that part of our game as others do who have posted their common practice here, but I don't intend to hack or exploiting any part of our game.

That's up to you if you do, but I shouldn't be doing such things because I have a set of ethics that prevent me from seeing any good coming from that activity.

How does one role play when hacking or exploiting our program? Do you use a medieval sort of accent to place in the program code or what o_O?

So how much do you think you and others have exploited from our game now tampering with the program?
    [​IMG]

Have you made an instruction video on it, or is this something we need to place in the wiki?

6. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

As was stated earlier in the thread, Castle Atos is a POT, and therefore is not in the offline version of the game. I will bring this up with Chris, however the adding Castle Atos in offline is most likely not feasible

We are moving toward changing Castle Atos into a Full POT so Dev deco and Dev run events can be held there. This will put Castle Atos (solidly) into the position of not being accessible as the POT tech will not function correctly offline.

Please note that offline game play is not currently being developed. [This will most likely not change going forward]
    Editing of the save game file [offline game] is permissible and should not be considered hacking (though it is a bit of cheating :p). The save game file is in clear text, but we do not (and will not) provide documentation on it, the community is welcome to document it on the Wiki though. Please keep in mind that some of the structures in the save game file have changed over the years, but without active offline development there is little risk of additional changes.

7. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

It should be noted that Offline mode has NPCs that sell COTOs for 20gp each. To my knowledge there's no way to spend COTOs purchased from Catnip in offline mode.

8. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

correct :)

Coswald_Dirthmire and Anpu like this.
  9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Then where are those COTO that we claim there from our accounts from?

I know they are not from any other activity of mine other than my having purchased them.

Are you saying they just apeared there in the amount they do, by magic all due to my sparkling personallity?

You do know there is a coto store there, don't you o_O and coto equal buying power from it.

Castle Atos is in the offline game and can be entered through pressing the "E" key.
    ~TL~

10. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

they retroactively added cotos to pledges when they added cotos.

11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

My pleadge wasn't that high, I purchased more and those are what is there.

I'm begining to get the picture that I am one of few who has any knowledge of offline SOTA o_O "That's disturbing", yet also points to the need to monitize and enhance our offline play, seeing how we spent so much for it to even be there.

(Make sure you know what you're talking about before your lips move and remember that you're still my friends and I'm still your friend, who's checking out the state and monitizing possibilities in our offline game) :):):):):)

~TL~:D it's very disturbing, but ironaclly funny at the same time, because I'm no SOTO Wiz Kid, I only heavily funded and invested in our game, which includes offline.

12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I'm also no programing tech, but since both a developer and a well known GM are not seeing what I as a regular player am seeing, "maybe there's something in that special peograming that isn't allowing you to see what normal offline sota actually looks like to the consumer?"

I don't think anyone is lying here, we are seeing or experiencing different things.
    Or we're speaking a different language in so much as what certain words mean or differing perspectives from programers to the non-programer.

This is very immersion breaking :D~TL~:thumbs up:

13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I've earned a total of 293 COTO ow from about 5 hours of playtime offline.
    I think that's an unreasonable sum to have earned in such a short time.

I have also noticed that our offline game doesn't exactly match up with our online world. I've seen a few trees a bit above the ground and things like that.
    Things like that are of little consequence, but finding that out did surprize me. I always thought online and offline were a mirror off the same program with no differences.
    ~TL~

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It's intended that you are supposed to collect crowns at a much faster rate offline.

Duke Gréagóir and Anpu like this.
  15. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Time Lord. I hate to break this to you that any COTOS you have in offline is from earning them. At one point we could claim our pledge COTOS, but no longer.

I played last Offline August 2021. I have claimed all my COTOS from my pledge before then. Since them I have subscribed for a few months for Online. I checked my offline game rewards and no more COTOS are in there. Any purchased or subscription COTOS don't filter down to offline.

Sorry to be bearer of bad news. Ravalox says how it is on offline currently. No more plans to update (besides new adventure areas that are in online). That's it.

Anpu and Time Lord like this.
  16. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Why, that's "one" of the big questions here. Why the free COTO, why the free game, why no gain is sought there?
    Let me put this in a different way, if you were to begin an entirely new game offline and claimed rewards from your account, you would be flooded with things for your POTs and all other items. If you purchased a POT or other COTO, then those COTO would appear.

(Subject to suspect) If you bought a POT or direct purches COTO, those or translated amount would be there in update. Anything in your purchase history, meaning that if you have it in your account history direct purchased, then it will be updated, as it did (?) with mine.

When begining my game, I began with millions of COTO there, not from just my pledge, but from many of the purchases I've made in COTO. That was not so long as almost a year ago. Since that time I have purchased more COTO & POTs and when I claimed rewards again, without ever having begun a new offline game, I recieved more COTO and even more POT things.

====================================================================================================

My contention is that we have invested value and rewards in offline sota, that directly relate to having purchased or invested in our game. Someone who did not invest as much in our game, does not get the same amount as someone who did. That, I am calling, offline sota having already been monitized, because it is tied to our account's worth.

As our good friend @Duke Gréagóir rightly points out, there are no additional COTO from "subscription" and possibly direct purchased COTO as he did not say whether he had direct purchased any new COTO or not. I'm sure he will let us know if he did.

What I suspect here, is that just as when direct purchasing of COTO, there is a receipt associated with that purchase which is reflected in our account's history. What I suspect, is that whatever that account reflects, is then translated into COTO, yet not from subscriptions.

I also as our @Duke Gréagóir have a subscription, yet those rewards and their reward things are/were not there.

====================================================================================================

I think we should "RE-MONITIZE" (?)

I think we should have things for purchase in offline sota which are exclusively for offline, such as X2Exp obsidian potions and whatever else new that could possibly fall into a Pay to Win catagory.

I think our subscriptions should be linked. Possibly reflecting the amount of accumulated COTO gained from subscription could be reflected in our accounts through our purchase history.

Currently purchse history does not reflect COTO purchased through subscription.

• I'm unsure if that purchase history "currently" updates and reflects offline when direct purchsing COTO
    • I'm unsure if that practice has been changed to not recover or update reflecting direct purchased COTO

I can only report that in my case, the amount of direct purchased COTO & POTs which reflect in my account history have updated and translate into added COTO when re-claiming offline rewards while in th same game, without begining a new one.

We should monitize and seek to monitize with each development step we take or thing our game makes.

I disagree with anything and any direction that would lead our game to be a UO for Free Shard, which sells subscriptions or donations.

Offline SOTA is no different and should be "further" monitized with exclusive items. To do so would cost almost nothing, as the mechanics of offering offline exclusive items is already in place, yet our subscriptions are not.

[​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
  17. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

The last time I bought COTOs was 2021-08-04 at 16:50:54. So I have claimed all of my purchased COTOs before today and before my last saved game.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Offline is a great playground to test things out in a consequence-free way for online decision making. Leave it be.

Anpu and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  19. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

My own last purchase was:

10750 Gold Crowns of the Obsidians (digital)
    2022-02-13 23:22:57 $80

I wish I could say that these were included with my update, but I can't say for sure, as I hadn't logged into my offline game for an unknown amount of time.

Being a gazillionaire there, proper accounting is not something I really pay much attention to. It's only due to a combination of the rainy season, the threat of EMP or Nuke internet disruption that caused me to check up on my offline game's status. Then I got the idea to ask for X2Exp and using Castle Atos offline and it's now blossomed into this confruntation with allot of others who haven't fully checked out the status & in's & outs of our offline game.

Quibbling about each detail of whatever the status of our game's development cash sent this thread into far different directions, so I changed the thread's title.

Yet with all there has been here in the thread, it's caused me to continue going deeper into playing offline to find out what more can be learned. Our costly to have developed offline game seems now regarded as an inconsequential part of our game... a total write off, free to hack, free to exploit yet mostly shunned part of our game.

As a player who loves to make money in and for and through the development of our game, I see our offline game as open territory for monitary development improvement, even though the player wind seems blowing against any form of further monitizing any part of our game.

If diamonds were free, no one would want to buy them.
    Finding new ways to monitize our game is a quest.
    [​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~

20. CatDude

CatDude Avatar

My Pleasure.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.