A Guide to the Rise Expansion and the New Buffs Therein

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Coswald_Dirthmire, Apr 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I'll look for you next time we're goin, Ulric.

FBohler likes this.
  2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

My question would be: Why do we have to rely on forum posts in order to both KNOW ABOUT and HOW TO DO IT posts here on the forum.
    Why is this information not IN-GAME somewhere ???
    Grrrr... Things like this are the reason people join the game and then QUIT !

Torrell, kaeshiva and FBohler like this.
  3. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Many people enjoy figuring out the various puzzles in the game.

Coswald_Dirthmire and Alley Oop like this.
  4. Virsago2099

Virsago2099 Avatar

I don't think people are quitting cause there are hidden buffs in the game. These buffs are not necessary to play and do well and have fun. It's just a nice hidden little thing for people who have already been playing a while. Not knowing about this, or not having access to it, isn't going to make or break anyone's experience.

Anpu likes this.
  5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I'm sure they do, @Anpu - but a much greater number find the tedium to be excessive and un-necessary .

FBohler likes this.
  6. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Virsago2099 If a player doesn't know about a buff, then of course they wouldn't quit because of it (since they are, like you said, UNAWARE of it) Good grief.

Kindly re-read my post here...

My primary complaint (in my comment that you quoted above ) is that all information regarding player quests should be accessible INGAME somewhere... And not here on the forum that many/most of our new players don't read.

Torrell likes this.
  7. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I'm not sure I would classify that as a puzzle. There's no context or clue, just enemies, a chicken, dummies and vanishing floors.

Torrell, FrostII and Anpu like this.
  8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

This should now, hopefully be working correctly now, per Patch 1525
    The Rise: Fixed the puzzle room for the stack buffs.

Just letting you know (I don't know anything about this).

FBohler likes this.
  9. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Thanks, Anpu - NOW we can go try and figure it out.

What's frustrating about Shroud "puzzles" vs. other games -
    In other games, if you aren't doing it right, and nothing happens - you assume the problem is you, that there is some secret you're not getting, or clue you haven't understood, and keep trying. In Shroud, if you aren't doing it right, and nothing happens - you assume it is broken. Because most of the time, that ends up being the case, and no amount of effort/attempts/etc. is going to get a broken thing to not be broken. Some of us have just been burned by this too many times. I don't mean this to sound complainy-its just kinda a thing we have come to accept and we wont waste our time until its established that it is working as intended or at least working at all.

I'm actually a person who LIKES to figure out puzzles, but unless I'm oblivious to some sort of note or clue or somesuch - there's nothing to "solve" here, the not-harming-the-chicken thing I guess is sorta intuitive, especially if you know its a taming buff (although if you didn't and you were truly exploring, it would be super super easy to miss that its even possible to open a door there and simply carry on, wondering briefly why was there a chicken?)

But as for the rest, who knows? We're going to go down there and just brute force try various things because that's all you can do in the absence of any information whatsoever. Some sort of flavor text, trigger, popup, dial0gue from the elves, something would be useful here.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
  10. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

The puzzle seems to be solved! I will just add the information missing from the main post now for folks that want quick spoilers, then go back later and update the whole thing as a cohesive guide.

The taming buff opens as described above, kill everything except the chicken. The Stacked Protector buff, the top door of the bottom-most pair, is open when you fall down to that level and will stay open as long as no elves on the bottom floor are killed. As soon as an elf on the bottom floor is killed, the Stacked Protector door closes and the Stacked Magician door, the bottom-most door, opens.

Thank you to Gwendolyn Obscuro for helping parse this out. Enjoy!

11. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Thanks for the info, Cos!

Now it seems we can get the blessings consistently!

FrostII and Coswald_Dirthmire like this.
  12. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

This is great Coswald - thanks for clarifying this for us - this indeed is good news!

FrostII and Coswald_Dirthmire like this.
  13. Lucky1221

Lucky1221 Avatar

For new players reading this thread:

The Stacked Magician Buff is on the floor just below the floor with the chicken.

My experience: if you wait too long on the Stacked Magician Buff's floor to loot the last corpse, it will disappear and you will not drop to the floor below (the info before my post wasn't explicitly clear or complete about which buff is available on the last two floors).

FrostII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.