So, NFTs? Yea or nay?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oplek, Jan 22, 2022.

?

NFTs?

1. Yea

5 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. Nay

51 vote(s)
    82.3%
  3. Eh

6 vote(s)
    9.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Guess we'll have to wait to hear what Chris says on Friday's stream. Either way it doesn't look positive for Shroud no matter how you look at it.

Dinsoo and Mapper like this.
  2. Enfo

Enfo Avatar

I think it will be fine as long as there is plenty of open communication.

As for the new game, looks like binance is already in the running for partnership.

How they decide to mint and what they mint for NFTs will be an important decision for me. If it's just aesthetics and decorations that's one thing. Game forming convenient land/lots/equipment is another.

Shroud also has Winston and Rav and whomever. Maybe they will get more say in development.

3. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I guess you can add me to the "concerned" list too.
    No disrespect intended to Richard and Starr, but I think the game has really started to blossom under the new ownership and I've been pleased with the direction of things. I'm not seeing how them making a new game (and diverting resources from Shroud to help it) is in any way good for "us."

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It seems to me that @Ravalox is taking over SotA.

CICI likes this.
  5. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

LB is late to the party as there are already several large outfits that have stripped most of the marks of their cash, he really needed to jump in 6 months ago if he wanted that easy money. Looking at the absolute trash fire of scams and ponzi schemes that the NFT space is today, you're making your intentions pretty clear if you start promoting them.

Enfo likes this.
  6. dayero

dayero Avatar

Oh boy, reading the article about that new game hurt. It's beyond embarassing. It doesnt take much reading between the lines to see that they have absolutely nothing to show for as of now and no idea how to make this work. Oh and btw land sales start next month.

Enfo likes this.
  7. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

I'm not a fan of NFT myself (i don't really know much about it actually) but i think what they mention in those articles is the technology of NFT being used to create the game (which they also mention that aspect will be invisible to the player). Its really just the system under the hood from my understanding... And that is actually interesting. I saw many crypto games which really do look like some shares trading site and doesn't really look like a game fail. But they know that and mention they want to make a fun game before everything. I guess we will see when more details come out!

Anyhow it give some ads for SOTA meanwhile! That can't hurt! :)

And just wanted to mention that there is no NFT in THIS game... Y'all have to remember you are talking about another game... Whatever they do over there is not happening here. Here the game still go on like it always did so far.
    You can be concerned about that other game success, but really won't change anything here.

8. CICI

CICI Avatar

SOTA had real money trading on the forums for years =)

9. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

At best, traditional RMT doesn't hurt a game, but when the devs get a cut of every NFT transaction, they suddenly have a huge incentive to compromise the gameplay in order to encourage NFT trading. Add in all of the garbage F2P mechanics and you have a product that likely can't legally be referred to as a game in some European jurisdictions.

Oyster, FBohler, kaeshiva and 3 others like this.
  10. Enfo

Enfo Avatar

One side of me Hope's you are correct there, because they can see the burn quickly and either make adjustments or abandon the project.

The other side of me hopes they delay it and show a solid foundation before asking for investments, to show they truly care.

Time will tell.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

The team famous for "Steam broke the patch", "Amazon turned off the server" and " WoW bought all the advertising" admitting they made a mistake, I guess stranger things have happened.

Enfo likes this.
  12. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Chris never stated WoW bought all the advertising.

13. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Hate to break it to you @Alleine Dragonfyre , but NFTs are being used to scam aritsts:
    https://www.reuters.com/article/usa...t-plagued-by-mind-blowing-fraud-idUSKBN2JS0YJ

Really this is a solution in search of a problem. As it stands here, @Chris has been so anti-RMT he's gutted large parts of the in-game economy to try and prevent it.

There are only two reasons to use NFTs: either to facilitate moving items between games or to facilitate RMT in outside stores in a semi-safe way. The former has huge issues with game design and the latter (which is what I suspect they are really wanting) can be completely facilitated by having a RMT trading system built into your site without the need for NFTs (which you then take a small percentage of).

Anpu, Oyster and Cordelayne like this.
  14. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I agree, I think @Chris and the team (with current resources) have gotten the game finally headed in the right direction, but am also concerned that his attention is being diverted to this new endeavor and away from Shroud.

On the NFT front, given the history, respectfully, there is no way I would support this new LB endeavor.

smack, Rada Torment, kaeshiva and 3 others like this.
  15. Oyster

Oyster Avatar

This news saddens me for Shroud. I came back after 2+ yrs being away from shroud about 3 months ago and fell more in love than when I played before. NFTs and RMT seem really similar to me. I'm going to research NFTs and follow this New Project I wish them all the best. I just hope in the end Shroud does not lose.

16. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Thanks for that confident comment @Enfo :D:thumbs up:

I don't truly know what to say about this yet... But... :D

I do have something I'd like to add here for all those in all those very long forums threads who argued against me, that I was somehow wrong about the falling funding levels here in Shroud of the Avatar.

So without further adue here it is :D!

[​IMG]

We must develop unique or fail, because we can't expect that the same ways we have been following will somehow achive different results o_O...
    compete where we can compete from what "we have already built".

There is every reason to be conserned, which brings me back to my comments in all those threads about our need to develop new ways to better monitize what we (Shroud of the Avatar) have to offer and most importantly... "to use those Shroud of the Avatar development assets we all invested so heavily in to have, and use those assets to become the unique game we were meant to be".

and so... I am again going to point up into our sky at all our wonderful planets, to use them as an example of something we invested loads of development cash into, along with litterally countless, hours, days and weeks of player's time watching them to get their timings just right, as just such an under-used and missdirected asset.

We sank lots and lots of development into them, only to be currently using only 2 of them, the Sun and the Moon to effect our gaming skills. Each of our planets should be attached to each skill tree and cause their skill tree to have more or less power, depending if they are visible in the sky or not, just as the Sun and Moon do.
    [​IMG]

No other game has this in their gameplay and it was once touted as one of Shroud of the Avatar's most unique features, "in countless interviews with Richard Garriott", being one of the topics that was always mentioned, along with another under utilized yet well touted SOTA asset, our agriculture. Both of these subjects took up as much as 30% of interview time when selling SOTA before our game had even released R1.

Unless we use what we have, to become the unique game we should be and were advertized to be, then we will continue to loose against other opponents, especially those that will be drawing from our Ultima Fan Base. We set ourselves apart from them now, or become trampled by them later, we become the unique game we were touted to be now, or the assets we invested so much $ and time in become useless, because our game will be seen as competition by any and all games "Richard and our team" will further offer their talents into.

• Astrology
    • Agriculture
    These need to be utilized to their fullest extent before anyone sticks a fork into Shroud of the Avatar and eats it's lunch when competing for our Ultima Fan Base.

Start with link the skill trees to the planets, an asset worth more than our seedinvest assets at this point, or we become a very "bland" competitor for what is to come from "our team's" next new Ultima game.

Develop us unique or we fail... or I guess at this point, "continue to fail" due to under-utilized, yet highly touted yet well developed availible assets.

o_O and again o_O
    I told you so :D!
    ~Time Lord~:thumbs up:

Enfo, Oyster and DavidDC like this.
  17. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Now for a quote from the amazing Carl Sagan, "Trips to Mars won't pay for themselves even if you conduct some high school science projects during the ride. NFTs might buy you a ride if you get enough suckers, I mean gamers to buy in."

FBohler likes this.
  18. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

If I didn't care, I wouldn't have posted. I think you are making a bad decision and I think you are letting a lot of people down here by doing this. It really doesn't matter what I think anyway, right? It doesn't matter what thousands of people who felt betrayed think, right? All I have to say to you @Chris is, good luck. I hope it all works out. Thanks for trying.

FBohler likes this.
  19. Jackrabbit

Jackrabbit Avatar

FBohler and Greyfox like this.
  20. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

I have had to clean up some inflammatory posts for trolling and miss-information or not on topic for this poll. Please keep this thread on topic so we can continue to have a good discussion.

.dao., jrs99, Cordelayne and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.