Could Catnip Sell SotA to the Players And/Or Open Source the Code?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wilfred, Apr 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

You should come back to online. That is sota, we miss you.

craftymethod and Time Lord like this.
  2. abovenyquist

abovenyquist Avatar

I'm not even remotely enthused about Richard's new game, and I don't see much enthusiasm for it elsewhere either.

I have tremendous respect for the man; I coordinated bringing him and Starr Long to Georgia Tech as a guest speaker, and I was fortunate to do a panel with him on the Apple 2 at Dragoncon in 2019, and I can trace being a professor now to playing Akalabeth and I was 10 years old and looking at the BASIC source code. That was a formative moment for me.

But yeah -- not enthused for the new game. If a game actually materializes, sure, I'll try it, but I'm not going to put any money into it before it actually exists.

Floors, Wilfred, FBohler and 4 others like this.
  3. Enfo

Enfo Avatar

Chris can say 100 times that work on this new project is temporary. Who will believe him?

4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Thanks my grand friend Adam :) I still have an avalanche of things I need getting back to online, but they will have to wait because there's some deep ideas coming from my offline investigation investment.

I was thinking that the training area of our game needs to be moved offline, but now I'm thinking it just needs it's own seperation made from our current way of entering the world. Almost each and everytime a game reviewer comes to our game, they are not evaluating or commenting on our game, what they are experiencing and commenting on is our entro because it takes so long to get through, which the reviewer then uses as the proof of their review and thus end their investigation with that.

I think we need to seperate our training entry through a new option. This would make "Play Online" an option where a player is, "just as UO was" dropped into the game with no training what so ever. "Start on Map or Start in Training", two seperate options, providing two totally seperate feelings of our game. (see the Wired Mag story below to know what that was like if you didn't get a chance to have exp that).
    I understand this, but even UO wasn't catching fire until the "Wired Magazine Story" of May 1998:
    https://www.wired.com/1998/05/ultima/
    Just after that great story was published, UO was swamped by 100s of thousands of players wanting to try this new, "graphically bland" game which still had the graphic looks of Ultima VII.

Whatever this new venture is, it's nothing more "or less" than another addition to an extremely long list of game's we've loved which are all in the spirit of Ultima, which is a never ending adventure.
    I do very much hope Chris does much more work on this new venture, all the while looking for new ways of contouring our SOTA to better complement both, casting a much larger net to more satisfy a much broader adience.

The interview ending that started the most successfull Ultima game of them all:

"You've killed the reporter from Wired, you moron!"
    Roadkill. A fitting end, it would seem, for a journey through Britannia these days. Now, what about those Eight Virtues?

We need to embrace this new game and adapt our game's role to it, because it's a part of our Ultima family.
    ~Time Lord~

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
  5. sdbaynham

sdbaynham Avatar

I will buy Catnip & SOTA for $10,000 cash. IP, Code, Assets, Unity files, Licenses. I will take on its liabilities and place no additional nonstandard restrictions on the sale. I am a software engineer. The bugs will be fixed. The chapters will be finished. I have had no connection to this community for 5 years so there will be no strange political consequences. I am an ideal buyer. PM me.

FBohler and Time Lord like this.
  6. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

Shroud of the Avatar is not for sale. Thank you for the inquiries though. :)

Since the game is not up for sale, I'm going to close out this thread here. Development continues as stated on the stream(s) and will continue with no end in sight. To address the initial unanswered question; releasing the SotA source code (even partially) would not be a likely direction we would take, if we ever were to consider a different direction.

As this addresses the thread topic, I'm locking the thread now. Thank you for being supportive, and look forward to seeing you all in game soon!

Duke Gréagóir, Wilfred, Xee and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.