1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Pets : Deeper mechanism

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Morgathys, May 11, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morgathys

Morgathys Avatar

I would like to see a deeper mechanism around the pets. Currently, all the pets are the same and there is no interest to pick one pet or another from the same type.

I would like to suggest to add RNG on pets like a -10% to +10% on their stats such hp, atk speed, dmg, armor, resist, etc. Also, a randomized hue to get common to rare colors on pets.

That will be an interesting to have a dedication on pets, creating value and gameplay.
    Breeding could be nice too and maybe an income by adding a component exclusively in the coto store to breed pets together.

Time Lord, ngavarta and FBohler like this.
  2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

First, let's clarify what you mean by "all the pets are the same" .
    Any/All pets "power" or "level" is determined by the many skills in the Taming tree and their levels, as well as what both the Tamer and Pet are wearing for gear.
    So not all pets are the same between different tamers for sure, and the difference is often VAST .

IMO, the LAST thing we need in SotA is more RNG !
    It's one of the primary reasons players come and then leave.
    NO MORE RNG, please......

kaeshiva and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  3. Morgathys

Morgathys Avatar

RNG is the key of replayability in video games, I dont think removing RNG is a responsible decision for a game design..
    As all games have RNG, I dont believe this is the reason why people leave, its absurd and also funny.

However, improving pets system with different output can only bring things more interesting, even if sota's database will not like it :D

Time Lord and FBohler like this.
  4. Vaentorian

Vaentorian Localization Team

OP could confirm this but I read that sentence as "there is no variation between instances of a particular type of tamed pet" - meaning the pet's intrinsic stats, not any bonuses conferred by the owner/equipment; "all the pets are the same...from the same type" is not saying that every pet/owner/gear combo is the same.

To put it another way, every razorback necklace is the same as every other razorback necklace, if you have a dozen of them it makes no difference which one you use. Hence the request for variation in each pet's intrinsic stats, similar to UO mobs.

Personally I'm not sure it's necessary, I already find taming to be pretty hard work in this game and wouldn't fancy hunting for "good" examples of each kind of pet. The changes earlier this year which made some pet types more tanky, others more aimed at DPS/specials etc, are probably a better direction to continue with for more variety in tameables.

Performance has been an issue in this game as long as I can remember, so I'm wary of anything which might cause additional problems in that area ;)

5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

that's what chris tried to do with the big cat roars. they weren't working when first put in, but that bug is [Fix Needs Testing] now.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=131209
    • The lion roar should now properly mesmerize nearby hostile opponents
    • The lioness should now grant nearby friendly players a life attunement buff
    • The tiger roar now grants nearby friendly pets a bonus to critical hit chance
    • Jaguars now have a unique roar that grants some limited magic resistance to those nearby
    • Black Panthers now have a unique roar that grants a modest dexterity bonus to those nearby
    • Snow Tigers now have a unique roar that reduces the fire resistance of enemies that hear it!
    • Sabertooth Tigers' ... roar grants party members additional strength!
    • Snow Leopards' ... roar that increases crit damage vs enemies that hear it

6. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

The cat roars is best heard by other tamed pets. so @Chris get the multiple pets coding going! We need to have UO's pet slots (5) so our Cat and 2ns pet summoned Croc/Bear/Wolf can play and hunt together!

Tamers demand this! Add a 2nd necklace slot for only pets so we can have two out! :D

FBohler and Time Lord like this.
  7. Duke Gréagóir

in case you did not see my excitement by all of the exclamation points!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FBohler and Time Lord like this.
  8. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

If we nerf them by half, sure :p

9. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

I did plan to add skill to pet eventually, but pet currently are too strong. If i ever add skills, there would need to be a compromise and do some little nerf left and right, especially in the healing part and the massive critical hits pet do. Its a cost yes, but to have nice and different pet i think its worth it.

10. Duke Gréagóir

Ok. Right after you 1/2 nerf fire/sun spec combo mages too. Hehe. :p

Cordelayne and FBohler like this.
  11. Duke Gréagóir

Please just leave pets as they are then. :)

FBohler likes this.
  12. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@DavidDC Nerfing is a bad thing...
    Don't take away what we've worked our butts off for...
    Just leave it as is.... It works fine, no adjustments needed.
    IMO

Cordelayne and FBohler like this.
  13. ngavarta

ngavarta Avatar

Great idea.

Say if you got a "good breed" of pet, will it able to mate and potentially have a better (or worse) offspring,
    with the inheritance of look or ability (depends on its partner).

Erm, further more, cross breed to create some hybrid creatures XD ...

14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Maybe nerf the tamer in some way when a buffed pet has been deployed... Just fishing in ideas...
    ~TL~

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Be careful about what you wish for.

[edit] In other words, wish for changes and get fat nerfs.

Last edited: May 14, 2022
    FBohler likes this.
  16. Duke Gréagóir

I am not a fan of nerfing tamers once again.

FBohler, Time Lord and FrostII like this.
  17. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I totally agree, the nerfing of anything is never a good idea. Introducing more challenge for what we have is always better :)
    As far as introducing more to taming, maybe there are ways to cause certain areas to allow more pet abilities.
    *Your pet feels very good in this area*
    Thus surroundings could cause the pet to have more abilities and thus be balanced through the content of that instance?
    Just spit-balling ideas :D~TL~:thumbs up:

18. Chiasma

Chiasma Bug Hunter

Skill balance exists in many game when Dev tries to fix broken thing or adding new features. I don't mind nerfing any skill school as most players always change their skill to the most powerful one, just like me dropping life specialization after many years.

I also love more skill balance as changes make the game more fun and players need to spend time finding the next best skill combo.

19. Duke Gréagóir

Or players move on due to the NERF changes, yet again....

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Fire/light armor spec is more powerful for a fire mage I think. Sun adds the bonus crit % with enlightenment, but for fire only the initial hit can crit, none of the dot damage. So sun spec is not as useful for fire as you would think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.