1. This forum is for bug reporting of current Live Game Server issues ONLY.
    Be sure to follow the format below, it will help us out greatly in responding. If you do not, your report may not be entered into the system.

Read BEFORE submitting your first bug: Reporting Bugs… QA 101 Document
    • Search for your bug in all likely categories before posting in order to avoid duplicate reports.
    • Be sure to provide details of what the issue is and how to re-produce it, but keep your bug report factual.
    • Only report oneissue per thread, additional issues may be ignored.
    • Do not add, include or modify the thread moderator tags in the title of the thread. (indicators in the [])
    • Reply to an existing thread if you have additional information for the reported bug.
      Do not use this forum for commentary, your post will be deleted and you may be moderated, suspended or banned if the activity continues.
    • There is no need to submit crash logs. Crash data we require is automatically logged.
    NOTE: Important information including your location and system specs are automatically put into your clipboard when using /bug in the game (DO NOT add additional system specs unless requested). When starting your post, just use <CTRL>-V to insert the data and fill in the entries with no data.

Please include Screenshots if possible. Images can be saved on our SotA Discord Server here

If the clipboard does not work, use and fill in this Bug Report Template:
    1. Title:
    2. Reproducible?
    3. Blocker?
    4. Details:
    5. Steps to Reproduce:
    6. User Specs: (RAM, CPU, GPU and Operating System only)
    Dismiss Notice

[Submitted 70644] If Tarian is in combat, speaking to him will cause dialogue exit

Discussion in 'Quests, Conversations & NPCs' started by Anpu, Jul 6, 2022.

1. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

07/06/2022 21:13
    Title: If Tarian in Tenebris Harbor has a Staff equipped, speaking to him will cause dialogue exit
    Reproduction Rate: 10/10
    Blocker?
    Details: There's an animation used with Tarian, that he will occasionally equip a staff. If at any time Tarian has that staff equipped, if the player speaks to them, the dialogue window will immediately close. This is 100% repeatable, for me.
    Steps to Reproduce: Go to the location stated below. Wait until Tarian has a staff equipped. Speak to them. The dialogue window will immediately close.
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60GHz (8) System RAM: 16303
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 GPU RAM: 8079
    SotA.Win.64.1556.Date.07.04.22
    Area: Novia_R6_Forest02_01
    Area Display Name: Tenebris Harbor
    Loc: (-86.5, 31.8, -125.5)
    Debug: Tm92aWFfUjZfRm9yZXN0MDJfMDF8fCgtODYuNTA0LCAzMS43NjUsIC0xMjUuNDU3KXwoMCwgLTAuNzAyLCAwLCAtMC43MTIpfDc1OC41MjkyfDI1Ljg1Mzk1fDMuNzU2MTk=

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i tried three seperate times to talk to him with his staff out (waiting each time for him to put it away and bring it out again) and each time he put it away and talked to me.

...then i tried turning on conversation close-ups, waited 'til he had his staff out, and tried to talk to him. dialog closed! this fails IF he has his staff out (or has only just put it away a second or two ago) AND conversation close-ups is on.

this may be appropriate, though. he has his staff out when he's in combat, as indicated by his dialog at those times starting with "(fighting)". i would not be surprised if @Sannio says conversation close-ups are disabled when the target is in combat.

Anpu likes this.
  3. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Crap thanks, I completely forgot I have Enable Conversation Close-Ups checked.

4. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Thanks for the report! Issue #70644

Anpu likes this.
  5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

The conversation with him will still break (ONLY if you have Enable Conversation Close-Ups checked), But I *hopefully think* I know why: NPC's are set with a schedule(?) that will cycle through various animations. I don't know the exact specific name of each of the animations but he uses, but they are the Drunk, Drink, and Pray which work fine, but he then does a fourth animation, Fighting? In speaking to him when he is playing or played this animation it says this: Tarian: (fighting) Your fate is sealed! And then the dialogue window immediately closes (only if you have Enable Conversation Close-Ups checked).

That fourth animation is what I think is actually causing this? Can you remove that? Could possibly be Shakes Fists, or something else.

If you need further information, observation on this just let me know.

07/08/2022 20:44
    Title:
    Reproduction Rate:
    Blocker?
    Details:
    Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60GHz (8) System RAM: 16303
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 GPU RAM: 8079
    SotA.Win.64.1557.Date.07.08.22
    Area: Novia_R6_Forest02_01
    Area Display Name: Tenebris Harbor
    Loc: (-86.3, 31.8, -124.4)
    Debug: Tm92aWFfUjZfRm9yZXN0MDJfMDF8fCgtODYuMjUsIDMxLjc2NSwgLTEyNC40MzYpfCgwLCAtMC44NTQsIDAsIDAuNTIxKXw2MTcuNjUwMXwyNC43MjQ2OXwzLjE1NTQ4Mw==

6. Alley Oop

he fights when he's in combat. that happens when he gets aggro on something, i think. i noticed it happens more often if i leave the front door open; he's getting line of sight on enemies.

maybe a faction change?

Anpu likes this.
  7. Sannio

I'm not forcing any emotes on Tarian that tells him to pull out his staff/weapon. He's doing that on his own. The weapon is innate to his spellcaster prefab type, but what I did was override his personal weapon with a "no weapon" setting. It's weird if the problem is his weapon, but hopefully having an empty hand will solve his issue.

Anpu likes this.
  8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

It’s possibly that, or he is suddenly is going into combat? I can’t think of anything around him that would cause them to go into combat. Could there be some odd faction setting on him?

9. Sannio

He did seem like he was going into combat for a moment, but there's nothing nearby that would cause that. More importantly, he is set with our "Friendly to All" faction that means he's a non-combatant. It's a mystery.

Anpu likes this.
  10. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Could the NPC schedule script that Tarian uses, could there be some animation that can be called, that when played, could put them into combat mode?

11. Sannio

Tarian doesn't use what we call a schedule. He's got his core AI behavior and a waypoint path with emotes on each point. The emotes on the waypoints are ShakeFist, Drink, Drunk, and Pray--nothing related to drawing a weapon.. Technically he also has emotes that can be triggered when he's idle, but since he's attached to a path they should never activate.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
    Anpu likes this.
  12. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

He also does the Drunk animation. What is calling that? Or that is also on the waypoints? Just hoping that might help. :/

13. Sannio

Oops, I accidentally deleted "Drink" and "Drunk" from his waypoint emotes list. Added them in my previous post .

Anpu likes this.
  14. Alley Oop

confirmed this is still happening in 1558. not having a staff has no effect, now he just randomly puts both his fists up for empty-handed combat.

Anpu likes this.
  15. Sannio

Reopened issue #70644

Anpu likes this.