1. This forum is for bug reporting of current Live Game Server issues ONLY.
    Be sure to follow the format below, it will help us out greatly in responding. If you do not, your report may not be entered into the system.

Read BEFORE submitting your first bug: Reporting Bugs… QA 101 Document
    • Search for your bug in all likely categories before posting in order to avoid duplicate reports.
    • Be sure to provide details of what the issue is and how to re-produce it, but keep your bug report factual.
    • Only report oneissue per thread, additional issues may be ignored.
    • Do not add, include or modify the thread moderator tags in the title of the thread. (indicators in the [])
    • Reply to an existing thread if you have additional information for the reported bug.
      Do not use this forum for commentary, your post will be deleted and you may be moderated, suspended or banned if the activity continues.
    • There is no need to submit crash logs. Crash data we require is automatically logged.
    NOTE: Important information including your location and system specs are automatically put into your clipboard when using /bug in the game (DO NOT add additional system specs unless requested). When starting your post, just use <CTRL>-V to insert the data and fill in the entries with no data.

Please include Screenshots if possible. Images can be saved on our SotA Discord Server here

If the clipboard does not work, use and fill in this Bug Report Template:
    1. Title:
    2. Reproducible?
    3. Blocker?
    4. Details:
    5. Steps to Reproduce:
    6. User Specs: (RAM, CPU, GPU and Operating System only)
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Fixed 70668] Basic Combat quests missing in early part of Battle of Solace Bridge

Discussion in '*** Bug Report Archive (After R75) ***' started by Anpu, Jul 17, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

07/17/2022 13:59
    Title: Basic Combat quests missing in early part of Battle of Solace Bridge
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker?
    Details: At around this point (location stated below), a new player can now spot, and target the first hostile creature in Battle of Solace Bridge. No specific quest or help text is present at this point, telling the player to press the z key (default) to enter combat and ready their bow. A new player at this point, may or may not know how to enter combat.

Around this point could be a simple "Use the z key to enter combat mode" quest given to the player, and then clears when the player does press the z key. Of note, this should be specifically a quest, not a hint, as hints can be turned off.

You did actually put a series of combat related basic combat quests in this scene, but they happen WAY later in the progression of the scene (at specifically) the Solace Bridge. Some of these possibly should be given much sooner.
    Steps to Reproduce: Create a new character, progress toward the first hostile Awoken Zombie in the scene. Observe no quests given on how to ready your weapon, by pressing the z key.
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60GHz (8) System RAM: 16303
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 GPU RAM: 8079
    SotA.Win.64.1558.Date.07.11.22
    Area: SolaceBridge_Starter/WithTutorial
    Area Display Name: Battle of Solace Bridge
    Loc: (-166.6, 83.0, 76.4)
    Debug: U29sYWNlQnJpZGdlX1N0YXJ0ZXJ8V2l0aFR1dG9yaWFsfCgtMTY2LjU3LCA4My4wNDYsIDc2LjM2Nyl8KDAsIDAuODcsIDAsIDAuNDkzKXwxMTUuNDI4OHwzNy44NTU1NHwxMC41NTI4NQ==

I think this was what you were looking for @Ravalox

2. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

Yes, exactly, thanks @Anpu

Anpu likes this.
  3. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Thanks for the suggestion! Added as issue #70668, however, it's a two-part problem.

The first part is that we can't give the player every tip he needs to know in the first couple of seconds. The quests/tips have to come one after another. Since things like camera usage and movement must come first, that means that other important information has to come later in the scene.

The second part relates to the "system message" tips that appear in the center of your screen. They appear, stick around for a few seconds, then go away. If you have more than one system message to read, they will queue up and politely wait for the previous one to stop displaying before they appear in your UI. Because we don't lock the player in place while these tips appear, a long waiting queue can sometimes make a tip show up notably later than when it was triggered. This means we need to spread out the tips and there situations to have a little "breathing room" so they don't queue up right at the start as a big block of text.

I could go in and see if I can move a few things around to maybe have the combat come earlier, but that will certainly mean something earlier will now come later. I could also consider moving that first undead enemy to later in the scene, but not having any combat early in the scene could have some players think the game is boring and quit. Constructing the first scene in a game is quite the mental challenge! But I'll see what I can do. :)

vulcanjedi and Anpu like this.
  4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

In actuality going through the scene slowly, all the basic quests and system messages are finished by around when the point I located above. I feel There’s more than enough “breathing room” from the location above point to when we get the next quest to go to the burning building. There’s quite a large gap there to just possibly display a “Press z to go into combat mode” and possibly some others.

I do totally get the breathing space too. You don’t want to completely overwhelm a completely new user to the game.

Just some observations of mine that might hopefully help some.

5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Seen fixed in build 1564. A task now appears telling you to ready your bow is given, before you engage the first zombie in the scene. And detailed chat text. :thumbs up:

07/28/2022 10:56
    Title:
    Reproduction Rate:
    Blocker?
    Details:
    Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60GHz (8) System RAM: 16303
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 GPU RAM: 8079
    SotA.Win.64.1564.Date.07.27.22
    Area: SolaceBridge_Starter/WithTutorial
    Area Display Name: Battle of Solace Bridge
    Loc: (-128.7, 77.3, 83.1)
    Debug: U29sYWNlQnJpZGdlX1N0YXJ0ZXJ8V2l0aFR1dG9yaWFsfCgtMTI4LjczNiwgNzcuMzA3LCA4My4wNzQpfCgwLCAwLjQyMSwgMCwgMC45MDcpfDQwOC4zOTkyfDIyLjc4ODl8MTAuMzA2Nw==

Sannio likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.