1. This forum is for bug reporting of current Live Game Server issues ONLY.
    Be sure to follow the format below, it will help us out greatly in responding. If you do not, your report may not be entered into the system.

Read BEFORE submitting your first bug: Reporting Bugsā€¦ QA 101 Document
    • Search for your bug in all likely categories before posting in order to avoid duplicate reports.
    • Be sure to provide details of what the issue is and how to re-produce it, but keep your bug report factual.
    • Only report oneissue per thread, additional issues may be ignored.
    • Do not add, include or modify the thread moderator tags in the title of the thread. (indicators in the [])
    • Reply to an existing thread if you have additional information for the reported bug.
      Do not use this forum for commentary, your post will be deleted and you may be moderated, suspended or banned if the activity continues.
    • There is no need to submit crash logs. Crash data we require is automatically logged.
    NOTE: Important information including your location and system specs are automatically put into your clipboard when using /bug in the game (DO NOT add additional system specs unless requested). When starting your post, just use <CTRL>-V to insert the data and fill in the entries with no data.

Please include Screenshots if possible. Images can be saved on our SotA Discord Server here

If the clipboard does not work, use and fill in this Bug Report Template:
    1. Title:
    2. Reproducible?
    3. Blocker?
    4. Details:
    5. Steps to Reproduce:
    6. User Specs: (RAM, CPU, GPU and Operating System only)
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Resolved] Crash to desktop right after getting in the game.

Discussion in '*** Bug Report Archive (After R75) ***' started by Mingo, Aug 8, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

--Added 8 g RAM, now have 16 g. Same EXACT Unity popup message and shut down. I enjoyed plalying this game for three years until this.

2. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Might not be relevant, but what do the technical comrades think of the possibility that windows did something naughty?

Just a day or two before he posted here, windows 10 pushed an update that pertained to DX12.

3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

well, yes. that was my point.

the game itself did not change: no patches since it was last working for him. the game itself did not get corrupted: reinstall would have fixed it. therefore the culprit is either OTHER software on his computer or a hardware failure. he's in a better position to diagnose his own machine than anyone on this side of the screen.

4. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

@Alley Oop I'm not terribly technical, and it's possible that the OP isn't, either. Is there a particular method of "repair/reinstall" for win10 that would be the least intrusive of his files but still reinstall DX12 files?

I've tried to research Microsoft's website, but it seems like repairing DX12 can only be done by repair/reinstall :oops:

5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

that would be an @Echondas question.

6. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

thanks guys. I hesitate to reinstall Windows 10.....and I"m not even sure what DX12 files are. I DID remove/reinstall SOTA after getting the additional RAM (and yes computer shows 16g RAM now) and I still get the Unity error popup page.

7. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

DirectX is a background software that enables visual media like video and 3d programs. It's possible that DirectX is having a fight with Unity because of s problem with DirectX, or maybe a background program is interfering with DirectX.

It's my understanding that windows is now using windows update to deal with DirectX, and that means that you should try updating first.

Below is a guide for trying to fix DirectX through the normal means (update, utilities, etc.).

https://windowsreport.com/reinstall-directx-12/

I hope this helps. I'm not very technical, so I might be giving useless advice, but I hope it works for you.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
  8. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

By the way, if all of these ideas fail, windows now has several options for repair/uninstall that don't require deleting all of your documents and programs.

You'll need a USB drive, and you'll want to back up your files just in case - so two USBs might be prudent.

Then you can try the windows restore options from least intrusive to most.

But this is a conversation for if the other things don't work.

9. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Can try doing a system file check:
    - open an elevated (admin) command prompt Windows Key + Q, type cmd, right click and pick run as administrator
    - sfc /scannow

Anpu likes this.
  10. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

--Echondas, this looks encouraging. Following your directions I got message "windows resource protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them" and a log file to see details. going to try and reinstall/run sota again now.... a few long minutes later, edited this post...
    --first I tried starting game
    --then I did the sota repair thing
    --then I deleted and reloaded sota
    Still getting the same Unity popup with error message after getting into game then game crashes to desktop.

11. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Did you try rebooting after running the system file check? If not, try that, and then run it again - see if it comes up clean.
    What antivirus are you using? Maybe try temporarily disabling real time protection/scanning?
    Are you up-to-date with Windows Updates?
    Have you tried running the Windows Memory Diagnostics? Win+Q, type windows memory diagnostic, click it.

Jason_M likes this.
  12. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Is this still happening?
    That seem like a system hardware on a end of life, either hard drive, or memory or even a heating problem for some reasons.

Here some solutions:

Heat: Check temperature of CPU and graphic card. This must be checked as soon as game crashed. The CPU temp should be seen in bios if you can't see it in windows, if still high after rebooting and look at bios (over 60 degrees celcius) the fan/not enough or old dryed thermal paste could be the problem. GPU temp can be seen when you press ctrl+alt+del and get into the task manager, then performance tab, and you click on the GPU in the list on the left of the window, temp should show there and shouldn't be over 60 degrees either.
    Memory: Since you bought new memory, you can try removing old one and just keep the new one (make sure they are at the emplacement of the first one). And try to load the game with this. First bracket memory integrity could be bad.
    Harddrive: Scandsk your harddrive. If there is any bad sector error, change it asap or make a backup of your disk before everything goes.

Hope your problem get fixed! If you still have problem we can find more solutions.

Anpu and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  13. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

Well well, 8 Oct 22 I reloaded the game. whatever you guys did, I no longer get that Unity error and I can play the game again.

Jason_M, Sannio and DavidDC like this.
  14. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Seems like the roll back did a little good.

We're thrilled to have you back :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.