When is the real fix?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sweety_D, Oct 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sweety_D

Sweety_D Avatar

I have been away for a couple weeks. Here is my story.

I played SOTA a couple years ago for about a year. During that year I spent a lot of money. I took a year break and came back about a month ago. I bought a new house, put all my items inside and spent countless days and hours getting it all set up. Today I log in after traveling internationally and everything is gone. I mean, I have my items, it's in my bank. But it's all reset.

I've just learned about the 106 disaster today, and I assume this is the reason why all my hard work was lost. So I just lose all that work? Not to mention the crazy amount of time I put into grinding XP for a new build I want to try.

So, whats the fix for this? When do we get this made right? I'm confused because I can't find a dev post about how this will be fixed.

FBohler likes this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Awe I'm sorry that happened to you. That must be really frustrating. So far I don't know if or what the fix will be. If I can help anyway let me know. Sending best wishes to you.

FBohler likes this.
  3. Hootergal

Hootergal Avatar

I subscribe to the game and I made a new avatar and even finished my avatar quest so I had both my row and village homes set up and of course this was my main. So when I finally got logged into my character select this one has completely vanished, most definitely like the Invisible cloak. Of course I made a report and I will still subscribe even if I have to start from scratch. I am in a good guild and have friends that will remember me, rip Synful Hooters.

majoria70 likes this.
  4. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

As far as I'm aware, XP earnings shouldn't be lost. All your XP should be in your pool, with only the minor chore to level up the skills again by using them, not a big deal in most cases.
    If you lost XP (i.e. came back with a lower Adventurer Level or Producer Level), you can then contact devs, they should be able to easily restore your XP.

Now the sad part: all deco work is very likely to be lost forever. You'll need to redo everything from scratch as of now. I believe, from what I've read, that this was the epicenter of the database corruption.

You may have lost relevant items as well, we have no word from the devs whether they're planning to restore items or not.

Some people say devs are planning further actions to mitigate the losses, but that's pretty much speculation right now, or devs may be giving privileged info to some select players.

necronut likes this.
  5. necronut

necronut Avatar

Looks like you know what I know. So we go that goin' for us. Which is nice.

6. Sweety_D

Sweety_D Avatar

Thank you for the information. This quote right here is the reason I may quite for good. I understand mistakes happen. It sucks, we are all human. I get it .

However, what I do not understand is the lack of communication. I have not seen anyone take responsibility from a leadership standpoint. And don't tell me they are busy and focused on the fix. It takes 5 minutes to post something. Even if they tell us they are not sure how to compensate us, or even that they will never compensate us, that's fine. But at least say something. The silence is what bothers me. It feels like they are just hoping people just kind of forget what happened.

I know if I leave the game no one cares, and I don't make a dent in their pocket book. But I have my principles just as much as they do. So I will wait a few more days for a meaning communication. After that, I will probably uninstall and not make another payment to them.

FBohler likes this.
  7. vulcanjedi

vulcanjedi Bug Hunter

Are you on the SOTA Discord? There has been a lot of communication there about what was going on and it was only yesterday that the game was back. We are expecting a livestream soon where they will give more details.
    vj

8. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

The fact that they literally ignored the issues on the official website makes me feel the same way. If you want to know what's going on, that is, if you have a clue that something is wrong in the first place, you need to delve into QA Subforums and Discord in hopes of some fragments of info to figure what the hell is happening - first hand from the dev's mouth.

Phrase of the month:

"The community is great and it'll self regulate"

Cordelayne likes this.
  9. Sweety_D

Sweety_D Avatar

I am not. I feel like this was a big enough problem that I should not have to dig to find some basic information.

Agree 100% with this.

I'm not looking for compensation, though it would be nice. I am looking for communication. Communication is free.

Carpe Noctem Diem and FBohler like this.
  10. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Compensation is free as well.
    Better RNG (both crafting and loot), higher resource yield, etc...

11. necronut

necronut Avatar

In the "Announcements" forum, one of the first ones you see, on the official website, on Oct 2nd, there was this: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/r106-outage-recovery-update.172569/

which received an update the same day, and again on Monday. Of interest, was this bit:

"takes into consideration the time lost, time on potions that was lost, etc."

And then shortly after:
    "There will also be a postmortem Livestream on Friday where we will be able to relate the what, how, and processes we applied to recover in addition to improvements in both process and infrastructure we will be implementing to prevent this level of catastrophic failure from occurring again."

As for this bit: "The details of the items will be published as we get close to publishing the Live server, ensuring accuracy." They're probably still figuring that out, and will tell us more during the stream, but I'm guessing.

Then, Friday, when the game was live again, there was this post: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/play-release-106.172550/

On Friday at 10:59pm. Letting everyone know: "Release 106 is NOW open."

I've seen discussion of the lack of communication and it's in discord and the back of the fridge, and the 19th hole at the Twilight Zone golf course... but I found it at: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php

And while I do use the discord, 100% of the information I needed was right there.

12. Sweety_D

Sweety_D Avatar

Thank you. Though, I saw all of this, so let me be more clear. I am complaining about lack of communication from senior leadership about what will happen AFTER the game is back on line. This is a big enough mistake that the CEO of the company should have already put out a statement. Even if the statement is generic and not detailed. It would at least let us know they are doing something. This lack of leadership and accountability, to me is unacceptable.

FBohler and necronut like this.
  13. necronut

necronut Avatar

Not that big of a mistake. Just a database error. Longest downtime in mmo history is Fallen Earth so far, at 3 years.

Is it a mistake nonetheless? Yes. Not gonna act like it's nothing... but it is most certainly not a big deal. But, if you go over that post on the announcements forum, and the post I put up you just replied to, it is explained that there will be a dev stream on Friday going into more detail.

So far though, the important information is posted in one place. And the extra information will be discussed on the twice mentioned dev stream.

Not a catastrophe. Just a minor inconvenience.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  14. Sweety_D

Sweety_D Avatar

Let's agree to disagree. To me it's a monumental mistake. Massive. Real world money was lost. Yet, it's still a forgivable mistake. I've said many times, I am not upset about the mistake. I am stating my opinion, you are stating your opinion. Neither of us are right or wrong so I am not sure this conversation is going to be productive for much longer. I maintain they are doing a terrible job of communicating. You seem to think it's adequate. Fair enough. I disagree.

Beaumaris and FBohler like this.
  15. necronut

necronut Avatar

I'll agree with that.

16. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

if you put the house up only a month ago you are out of luck with getting it restored as complete you will have to rebuild unfortunately. If it was pre a month ago you would have been fine. that said all items should be in bank. They can restore the lot to owner once they confirm the logs it sounded like.

No real world money is lost anything you bought in store or crowns will be restored. now if you did RMT for home or stuff than your on your own as that is not supported or secure so hopefully the people you bought from will honor.

the only really stuff lost is time and any sales / purchases between from player to player and crafted stuff. which can be gotten again. all gold and cotos and xp should be correct short of anything sold/bought in that one month period. so not all that bad.

it is though unfortunate that all this did happen, but hey for 8 years of no roll backs or major downtime I think we can swallow this and thank them for getting things back up as quick as they could :)

Sean Silverfoot and Time Lord like this.
  17. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

18. Fiero Steele

Fiero Steele Avatar

And of course those POT TF water lots coming soon should make everyone happy ;)

Barugon likes this.
  19. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Oh Xee, I wish I was as optimistic as you as a crafter.
    RNG is really wonky, this sounds to me like "you lost your jackpot winning lottery ticket, but you can keep trying and it's possible to win again".

I don't believe I'm getting that fabled perfect 5MW xbow again, ever. Only one fail, all the options I was going for and in the exact order I was going for. High dura and the best possible set of bonuses for my build. Gone for good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.