1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Ridable Boats...yes again

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Belladonna Rose, Oct 24, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

Once upon a time in Highvale Outskirts there used to be a boat you could ride at the Fisherman shack. You could hop on and ride around the lake. It was on a designated path and you jumped on or off...similar to minecarts per say. Alas i went to get a picture of it today and its not there. It was removed from the scene. Not sure when or why but that isnt important.
    The mechanics are there for it....many have seen it. I dont know why this could not be put in again as a POT item. Many have the lakes in the center of their towns or bays that could easily account for the usage. Put the boat on a range for how far out it can go and it just follows a circular path. Doesnt have to be a huge boat...a small one would work so the navmesh doesnt take up alot of space. Maybe have it do 20-50meter range or larger....not sure how far that is in game. LOL. But alot of folks would love to buy this item and use it. It can be used for many things.

Thanks

2. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

It woudl add a bit of realism, too. After all it´s easier to understand how I could row a boat over a river with my stuff, than swim in full armour and maximum encumberance load over the river without only swimming down...

Belladonna Rose likes this.
  3. Toular

Toular Avatar

It was removed? Anyone know when? I ran a new character through the outskirts in offline not too long ago ( maybe June?) and I'm pretty sure it was still there.

Paladin Michael likes this.
  4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

This Idea is Approved By
    The New Britannia Bass Boat Association
    ~
    Time Lord~

5. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

I didn't know what neglect was until I met boating in this game.

Barugon likes this.
  6. ioSelect

ioSelect Avatar

Good idea, by the way, in case someone hasn't seen it yet; there is a really fantastic ridable airship in Blood Bay.

CrandalltheFoole likes this.
  7. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Years ago, unfortunately ...The same thing I wondered, why the Ardoris Gondoliere never got back ...

Never got feedback why - asked for bringing it back (both, Highvale boat and Ardoris Gondoliere).

It was great and a fast way not to swim the whole sea to get to other spots around.

Still works in offline mode? So it just could be a bug in online mode?

@Ravalox or @Sannio - any idea or feedback to bring it back to the game? :)

Would be great!

8. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

I was at the coast recently and the ship to "Blood Bay" offered 3 different locations to go to. At which is the airship?

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Awe but we can always hope. I mean we did get mounts with few Devs still working on the game. That was amazing that happened. ;)

10. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

How so? A boat is practically a fixed object that itself does not have any movements of it´s parts while the horse is a living creature that moves by moving it´s legs.

A boat is practically a board of wood that can only travel across the flat structure defined as water.

11. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

The same way as on land. On land we have a lot of ways to stop the player from leaving the scene, from invisible walls (you can´t jump from the floating island in Storm Island into the void, I tried) to forests that is not single trees but like a painting into which you can´t run into (e.g. in Soltown south of the graveyard) to unclimbable rocks.

On sea the boats would simply be small boats, identical to the rowboats used for shortrange teleportation at docks - not seaworthy to go on the ocean. Colour the water a bit differently and have an invisble wall where the incoming waves from "ocean water" (=border of the scene) push your small boat back to the peaceful coastal waters.

Ocean going vessels could be limited in their movements by reefs, shallows, sandbanks and being restricted to land only on natural harbours or harbour cities.

Sea combat is like land combat if you think like the romans.

12. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

We need large ships like My Duke galleon to sail!!

13. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

Absolutely. One single galleon, e.g. a historical spanish one of the 16th century, needed an average crew of 90-100 people to sail (excluding the soldiers onboard). Would probably take all the players online to man one galleon :D

I just dream of small rowboats that can be rowed and steered by one person in calm, coastal waters.

14. Duke Gréagóir

In pirates of the Caribbean online it took one captain at least. That is all we need. :D

additional gunners are welcome too!

15. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

The Captain alone is only sufficient as crew if you intend to go down with your ship.

Be at least as realistic as "Treasure Island". You need a 1) ship´s boy for fetching things, scrubbing the deck and to aid the 2) one-legged smutje / ship´s cook in the galley. You need a 3) captain (yourself) to give general orders and who can double as navigator reading maps, compass, sextant, a 5) steersman, at least one able 6)seaman and one ordinary 7,8,9)seaman for every mast of the ship to raise and lower the sails, a ships 10) carpenter for repairs and as in Moby **** to make coffins, ships 11) tailor to constantly repair and sew new sails, ships 12) ropemaker to repair and replace ropes, and a gun team of around five 13-17) to operate a single ship cannon.

16. Duke Gréagóir

No thank you. Just one person is needed. Cannot guarantee others will be on. This is not like waiting In Ultima online for the champion spawn to start.

17. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Sea Going Ships, Lake Fishing Boats
    (and their possible different functions)

I don't ever see our ships traveling together, yet possibly teleported to a single privet instance working much the same as a teleporter, yet only to that single instance of open water. A single sea privet instance where random things can happen and special things can be fished for, such as differing treasures.

Then... if that single instance is successful, we could then create different "sea instance zones" with different qualities.

Ships and Boats, I'd like a difference between them and their uses. Our small boats could do as mobile platforms for POT or NPC Town fishing the same as a horse.

Just a few ideas :)~Time Lord~

ConjurerDragon likes this.
  18. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

That boat wasn't a true vehicle. It was an "elevator" on a horizontal looping path. It was removed because players exploiting it for fishing purposes.

Time Lord and Anpu like this.
  19. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

Exploiting it? If the boat was a horizontal elevator - wouldn´t a mining car be a better comparison, as it´s horizontal already? - what difference does it make for fishing? Only that it caused a change in position without walking avoiding the "fished too often in the same spot"-penalty? Or did it give any other advantages?

If the original boat could be exploited by someone fishing from it - why not require the passenger to sit (or create a new emote "row, row, row the boat" that requires to sit) - which would prevent any fishy business? :rolleyes:

Time Lord and Paladin Michael like this.
  20. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

That's the reason? Sad.
    How could someone exploit it with fishing?

Any possibility to prevent it and have the boat back?
    It was so helpful for the scene and made it more interesting.

Time Lord and ConjurerDragon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.