1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Fleeing Mechanic

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Traveller13, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

A long, long time ago, a game had a fleeing mechanic. How about a fleeing mechanic for SotA?

A player will be considered having fled a battle when all opposing mobs have leashed. The avatar's honor and valor, at the least, take hits.

A fleeing mob will sheath it's weapon, turn around, and run directly away from the avatar. It runs until it hits its leash distance. At that time, if flagged as fleeing, it will de-spawn rather than leash. The avatar will be allowed one, perhaps two, seconds of auto-attack and one glyph-based attack on a fleeing mob. Charged attacks or spells that are cast more than one or two seconds after the mob flees will result in a hit to the avatar's honor and valor based on the type of mob. Attacking fleeing animals will result in a hit, for example.

In both of the above cases, this is the equivalent to having left the combat window of that long ago game.

Mob fleeing chance is based on intelligence/ nature of mob. For example, spiders, corpions, zombies, skeletons and crocodiles never flee. Mammals may flee. Humans, elves and kobolds have a chance t flee based on power and odds. Bosses never flee unless it is story line driven.

2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Say whaaa ???
    Not sure I understand what you're aiming for here, @Traveller13 ...

FBohler likes this.
  3. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Doens't sound like a fun gameplay mechanic.

Anpu likes this.
  4. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

Actually we should already have that. What else is the taming skill "Obedience" for?

So any living creature is supposed to have some sort of self-preservation and not mindlessly fight until death.

We should see e.g. Wolves running from Bears before being killed and Bears retreating from Wolfpacks before being overwhelmed. Instead I notice lots of fights to the death and animal corpses when animals spawn in sight of each other.

5. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I think you missed the whole point of the OP, I recommend you carefully re-read it.

OP has nothing to do with pets avoiding fights when low in health, quite the opposite: punishing players for avoiding combat or attacking leashing mobs.

6. Seggallion

Seggallion Avatar

I feel like we have something close to your first sentence. Mobs will hit their leash and turn around. The second part is the part that is missing. I am all for more uses for the virtue system. I don't think the devs are, though.

7. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

This sounds like the virtue mechanic in Ultima IV The Quest of the Avatar.

8. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

This method is not feasible, as Barugon states; leashing tends to occur for various reasons. Leashing can occur during normal (and common) engagement including kiting and other strategies that cause the fight to shift farther away from the mob's spawn point. Most all games use the same leashing mechanic whereas once the mob reaches the end of the leash distance the return to spawn is invoked. During this period (in SotA) the mob cannot be engaged, therefore once leashing is invoked, players would have no choice in being impacted by a negative virtue hit.

We do look for places to leverage the virtue as we add new content or re-visit existing content when fixing issues or adding flourishes. Attaching virtue choices to battles is not something easily implemented with reliable results, though the decision to engage in battle can certainly impact virtue in certain circumstances.

Anpu, FBohler and Barugon like this.