1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Global Item Search

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Templarius, Feb 18, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

If the player has the item on vendor they should only see where the item is located on their own vendor, not the global vendors and their should be a gold cost for doing a search that scales up in cost if repeated within 72 hours. So if a player wants to monopolize on an item by searching repeatedly to buy out vendors they have to pay to do it. It would also act as a gold sink which the game needs.

2. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

Bump to remind the devs that a Vendor Search system is still the most important improvement needed in SotA.

Devs, please add a nice Vendor Search system to SotA, Thank you! :)

3. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

Coming from a singleplayer point of view I disklike the thought of having an internet-like instant access to knowing what vendors sell what at what price.

I can understand that it might be great for people who play the game more like a version of an economical simulation but it would discourage exploration as players would cease to visit towns to check for prices there and beeline to the cheapest source, cutting off all local merchants from their customers. That´s how craftsmen in towns die in the real life when a huge supermarket that sells everything opens outside the town.

A player actually living in the world of SotA would have no idea about that. To get those infos you would either need lots of contacts or magic. I could live with a version of search that guilds would provide. After all guilds are supposed to be connected and thus could provice the info to their guild members in their chapter houses.

But a player standing in the middle of the wilderness, wondering where to get a certain item or material cheap, simply whipping up his Britannia wide search program that hands out the cheapest seller or highest buyer - that kills immersion in the world. Then rather use NPC´s when asked about rumous not only to say that fishing is best in these two towns (of which I never heard and have no idead where they are located) but occasionally - e.g. like in the game Pirates! - "I have heard that cotton is bought at a premium by X in Y..."

Anpu likes this.
  4. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

What is a great idea is a npc vendor by Brittany on the overland map that provides a global npc search would
    Work.

FBohler likes this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hello @ConjureDragon As someone who rallied for global vendor search before we got the current system I have to say it is much better to have the current system than no system. I now use it all the time. If anyone out there doesn't know how to use it here are some tips. So before I enter a town I point my cursor at the name of the town. At that time it will show what's in the town. Again using the example look where it says vendor. If no number is below vendor there are no vendors in that particular town. If it says something like Vendor and below it it says x24 there are vendors selling items. After entering the town I then open the window selector in the upper right hand of my screen and go down to vendor listings and click on that and then slowly it loads all that is for sale in that zone. You can also filter a particular item too and then click on 'get directions' to find that it has put a mark on your compass to follow to the vendor.

Now I don't say this system is better than what some of us had in mind but truly with the very few Devs we have to work on the game it is very impressive. I know that some players and their vendors do miss out on visitors to buy from their vendors but I don't think atm it can be helped.

There are ways to get the word out. One is to click /t and post an advertisement. I sometimes do this before logging off since I have a music vendor which I try to update with new songs when I find them and at Christmas time I bring out the Christmas songs for sale for a short time. I have saved my ad to windows notepad on my desktop so I can easily use it without retyping every time. And I guess the other thing is word of mouth.

We struggle on some things in this game because it is a broken up world imo. There is no help for that so we find work arounds and those are some of the challenges we face but it does add interest sometimes and irritation at other times. Luckily we got the trade channel and universe chat because when all else fails to reveal itself I say it's time to ask for some help or advise. We have a lot of game here and knowledge about the ins and outs of what to do and how to do it are very lacking sometimes. But there are ways to do it and I think it pays off in the end because this game has evolved and is still evolving luckily. We have a game and we have a very few Devs who still care and are working on things to keep bettering the game. But they are few but alas an impressive few. :)

TigerBlue and Wilfred like this.
  6. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

I tried to use that list a few minutes ago, but as far as I see it only lists what the local vendors are offereing for sale, but not what they are searching to buy?

What does /t mean? I did not find /t on the list on p. 9 of the manual, nor on the Quick Reference Card...
    Just tried it and it sends "to traders". However it still appears in the universal chat window. Is for traders simply to better see trading requests in the flow of universal chat?
    And with "traders" are only those meant who trade in huge stockpiles or simple customers, too?

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

When you enter into a town with vendors then you click on vendor listing. It takes a minute to load usually. then you will see all that is for sale in that particular town well on player vendors that is. If your compass has disappeared the default if you have not changed it is click on m (for me it is this). If you want to see player names and you aren't anymore then you press the n key to see them or not see them. These are toggles.

So we have chat windows and we have the opportunity to have more than one. I personally have 4 chat windows pulled out to not miss information. Then you resize them by dragging the borders of each in or out. You then go to the 1st gear (on the left) located in each chat window you have pulled out from the original chat window by grabbing the tab area and dragging it away to put on your screen where you want it. Then select what you want to see in that window by checking or unchecking boxes.

In each chat window you have out you have to manually place your cursor in each. One should say Universe chat which is typed in its window /u. Then one can say trade window by placing your cursor in that chat window and typing /t. In my other two windows one will tell me combat info and miscellaneous and then I have a window that will let me see my whispers from player, guild chat, or zone chat, or I change it sometimes and type /l to do local chat with someone standing next to me.

At times if I am chatting with one or more persons I will borrow another window and whisper to one or the other person to keep my chats to them separated. Then I will change it back to which ever chat I had it before. Always I have to manually put my cursor in the window I want to type in though.

Let me know if you want me to send you a book I typed up in game to explain perhaps better. Let me know if this is not clear. I am really happy to help. I can usually jump in game as well if I'm awake that is lol. Take good care.

8. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

I just looked at the private vendor listing in Novia Market. It took more than two minutes to finish loading (o.k. it is a major market town) and what do I see - no, not offers but advertising...

Items such as Small Bags offered intentionally at extraorbitant prices (99.999, 999.999 or even 10.000.000) to not be bought but act as an advertising line in the sense of:
    "My real store is right two towns away in XY..."

The vendor list really ought to be only for items to sell and not delay loading the real items for sale by adding dozens of advertising lines that are not meant for sale.

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

You can check right at home. We try to offer fair prices. We also used to offer a vendor for our residents to use to sell off of but some recent remodeling has gotten in the way.

FBohler likes this.
  10. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

Another example of annoying advertising:

[​IMG]

The player uses colour-changing letters to have a neon-ad that everyone coming down from Castle Brittany to the Port can´t not notice.

That to dislike is perhaps just me, however the worse part is that the store on the lot does not offer anything. Nothing at all.
    Nothing? Well - it DOES have 3 items listed that do show up in the "Vendor listings in zone", too:

[​IMG]

3 items - for 99.999.999 each - that are not even meant for sale but only use the item slot as a line for advertising for their buy orders that are renewed daily. Yet - there aren´t any.

Even a local / zonewide vendor item list takes some time to load and show. Items that are not even meant for sale, but are only there for advertising (that normally should be paid space in that zonewidelisting that did not exist a while ago) clog up the space of items and prolong the load times.

IMHO we need some sort of "best practices" that ingame ads of players need to follow or be disabled.

e.g. in the case here I would say:
    As long as the store does not offer anything to sell or to buy - the player should shut down the neon-ad in the middle of scenic Brittany, or if he is not online for a longer time it should be shut down. It´s Brittany and not Neo-Tokyo.

The 3 items that are not for sale but only ads should be deleted - or paid for to appear in the zonevendorlisting. I would prefer deletion so that in the item list only items are listed.

Isabel Ayin likes this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

My recommendation is to not use that vendor.

12. oplek

oplek Avatar

Item names should be scrubbed (to default) or hidden when posted on a vendor.

ConjurerDragon likes this.
  13. Duke Gréagóir

UO’s global item on a vendor search is sooooo nice!!! :)

we need it here.

Barugon and FrostII like this.
  14. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Amen brother, Amen

Barugon and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yeah, that's what many of us wanted.

FrostII and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  16. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

Did a little cleanup of posts not adding to the conversation ...

And to answer this directly, we do have rules for anything a player creates or posts in game, on the forums, etc. The rules are all sourced from the TOS. Granted the TOS is about to get re-organized and adjusted slightly for 2023, but none of our rules can ever cover everything.

Anpu likes this.
  17. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Not me. I would never, under any circumstance, want to see an Auction House like listing in this game, that shows all items in the game on sale, and the price. The only thing that does, is allow a few players to completely control the price of items in the game, and shut out everyone else.

Currently what we DO have is fine, and still requires some effort on the player's part to "look around" and find a good price. I'm ok with that.

Alley Oop likes this.
  18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yeah, there were concerns about visible prices in a global search. I was okay with just listing the items and their locations. The problem I have with it being localized to towns is that if you're looking for something rare (white unicorn hair for example) you will spend many hours going from town to town, waiting for the list to load each time. That is not fun. It's better than what we had but it's still just a massive waste of time trying to find something.

FrostII and Anpu like this.
  19. Duke Gréagóir

Showing all of the items, prices, and locations means I stop paying $$,$$$,$$$ for an item I could of paid $,$$$ for. aka not getting ripped off. I am tired of getting ripped off in SotA.

I don't see how anyone could control that by What having the lowest prices? I guess high prices = good, low prices = bad? So, in that mind set $7.00 eggs is good and $0.99 eggs is bad. Yikes! I favor the $0.99 eggs. Same quality as $7.00 eggs, less greed.

FrostII likes this.
  20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yeah, the mindset seems to be simply to take advantage of people as much as possible. I never could understand that mindset, especially in an RPG.

I sell imbued jewels on my vendor for a reasonable price. One player buys all my fishing jewels and then resells them on their vendor at a much higher price.