1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

POT Taxes Going to Mayor/Governor

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Seggallion, Jan 21, 2023.

1. Seggallion

Seggallion Avatar

I still can't grasp the logic behind lot taxes from POTs not going to the mayor. Maybe you don't want rich land baron's running around the game with the kind of money to control other players. If that is it, you can give a portion of the taxes to the mayor and/or make lot tax revenue only spendable on items for the town. I would think the point in buying a POT is for the tax money to purchase in-game items.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Consider it O&M. Now if they give tax money to players, then they could open a whole new play loop with actual O&M expenses-- NPC building upkeep, guards, etc. Maybe the player could work in money laundering, bribes and kickbacks like in real life.

I went with tax free deeds because I want to play a game and not have a second job. Same reason I turned down a player a few years back when he wanted to put me on contract for spider silk. I'll sell my excess but I'm not going to grind 20K silk a month for X gold pieces- whatever the specifics were.

CrandalltheFoole and Barugon like this.
  3. Lained

Lained Avatar

Taxes are a gold sink that existed prior to player owned towns.
    The point of a POT is the freedom to make of it what you will, go ahead and implement a tax if that's what you want to do.

Sean Silverfoot, jrs99, Anpu and 2 others like this.
  4. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

probably not a good idea to give governors incentive to boot people with taxfree deeds.

5. Seggallion

Seggallion Avatar

Then have the game pay the mayor the equivalent of the taxes for each tax free deed. It can be like a subsidized deed with the money coming from the state (game) and not the player. That evens everything out. It is a virtual good so no one is out anything.

Isabel Ayin likes this.
  6. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

Well, the state is. Usually only a share of the taxes stays in the community. More goes to the region and more to the state. So if we see the fee of the public vendors as sales tax and the lots tax as ground tax then no Goverour (not Mayor - after all a zone can be larger than just 1 town) shoudl receive the whole amount but the taxes split between POT for improving the zone, regional government (e.g. Paladis or Longfall) to maintain local infrastructure and militia and the state.

7. Isabel Ayin

Isabel Ayin Avatar

This might be a good idea.
    Before, I wondered where the taxes we paid went and if the governors received them.
    I'm Governor now and I know we don't get them, but it would be great to get a share of the taxes to help maintain and grow the POT.
    I am very happy with my POT but I also think that we should receive something more in exchange for its price, especially considering that almost all of us governors invest more resources to increase the size and benefits of our cities.

You just have to see this: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...er-owned-town-upgrade-via-cotos-guide.171711/ to know the investment involved.

Implementing a system whereby governors would receive taxes from taxed plots or the equivalent of free plots (or perhaps the equivalent in COTOs) would be a great help to us, and an incentive for more players to acquire a POT and the game get more economic resources for its development.

8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

My own personal opinion, as well as a Governor, I would not be in favor of such a system. The current tax on deeds, is(?) a designed gold sink. Totally fine with that, and then you have the option of a tax free deed for your lots, with COTO's.

Any Governor however can currently always place a chest named, for example, Donation Box within their town, and the residents, or friends can always donate, if they choose to do so. From my understanding, that has worked very well with a few player owned towns to help support an upgrade in the towns size.

9. Lained

Lained Avatar

Another way to do it is put purchase orders for the amount you want to tax using cheap items/paper notes on a vendor.

jrs99 likes this.
  10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Also as a co-owner POT owner I am not here to collect taxes or be different than anyone else. What we spent for our town went into game development. I think we should move on and work on things that will help the game. For example give the cooking tree some skills like other crafting trees have such as efficiency, speed, etc. Add in more quests throughout the game. Also sellable bags of goods need to be an in game item also. Let us also dye them too. Everyone has their wishes. It has always been present in this game. Lots of quality of life things need to be worked on. Rewarding players for owning a pot does not need to be one of them. For us we spent that RL money in 2014 and have gotten many hours of enjoyment from owning the pot but would we do it again? I am not sure. Any residents who comes to our town are there by choice not to pay us to be there. We don't need to impose anything upon them but good will to enjoy the game. Also :

7-We need frozen water to be fishable again.
    a-In early days you could fish in the frozen lakes. That was removed. To make up for this Snowy biomes got 2 measly fishing holes not even close to the frozen lake hidden away. These 2 holes can be fished in for very little. It is not a good enough solution. Please add frozen lake fishing again. Just bite the bullet ;)

CrandalltheFoole, Ancev and jrs99 like this.
  11. Isabel Ayin

Isabel Ayin Avatar

It is not that the governors impose anything, but that part of the fees that are already imposed by the game go to the governors for the improvement of the city, so it is not a new obligation for anyone. And I imagine that if something like that were implemented, it could also implement a "Do not receive taxes" option or something similar for those who do not want to receive them.

The options of the public chest for the players to leave things and the sale of notes as a donation concept are there but that depends on the will of each one and I am more inclined to take something that already exists and that would not harm the pocket of nobody, like taxes (or the equivalent of plots free), since this is an obligation that whoever has it, has it regardless of where the gold paid for them ends up.

12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Automated gold acquisition has always been something we don't allow here in sota.
    Making unattended, no effort gold machines in our game is a no no ;)~Time Lord~

Winfield, Lained, Anpu and 1 other person like this.
  13. Isabel Ayin

Isabel Ayin Avatar

Understood, the proposal is not accepted, do not point your bow at me, please :D

Time Lord and Anpu like this.
  14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Long long ago... there was once a wish to make an exception to that rule:

All mayor collected taxes were not able to be used accept for town improvements, "and that those improvements would be temporary and in need of those taxes for upkeep of those improvements.

That general idea was to reward those POTs that were active. A player could tell whether it was a live or ghost town POT through indication of what temp improvements the POT had.

The idea of "non-profit" was the theme as I recall that early sota idea. I remember it because it was quite debated here in the forums.

~TL~

15. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

Lot taxes are a gold sink (intended to drain gold from the game economy to prevent inflation). Shifting the gold from players to the Governor of a POT would defeat that purpose, so adding a game system/mechanic that did this is not something we would do (it also causes an issue with tax free deeds).

Governors have the ability to make agreements with the players who move into their towns. based on rules they setup for everyone in their town. It would not be against the TOS for a Governor to ask for lot rent, however... an astute player would choose to move into a town that does not have this requirement, so I suspect that any governor that chose to establish a tax for living in their town would not get very many residents.

Seggallion, Anpu, Time Lord and 4 others like this.
  16. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

One thing we must say SotA got 100% righ is controlling inflation... prices seem to be consistent or just slightly changing throughout the years.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Indeed, very surprizing and very true!
    ~TL~

FBohler likes this.
  18. Pifester

Pifester Bug Hunter

Lock the tax gold into a town decoration/upgrade category only. Have something similar to the crown store - the Town Store. Purchases go towards specific town improvements. NPC additions/NPC Structure additions/a plot that is special "ie everyone is friended" governors and stewards have co-owner permissions on that lot/ special deco-town improvements - lighting, pavers, unique deco, etc - but locked to the town.

Make there some reason for players to ...USE... a taxed lot. as it stands currently, a lot of players just use tax-free lots. I know that's what I do, even tho the cost/expense over time makes no sense to justify the cost of converting a taxed to tax free. I do it cause I am lazy.

If there was something my town could gain from taxed lots, even if it is only eye candy, I would probably break out a bunch of taxed deeds and start working on it. It doesn't have to be much, taxed row lot gives xxx credit, up to taxed castle lot gives xxx,xxx who knows.

FBohler and ConjurerDragon like this.
  19. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

When, or after what time of having it, would having upgraded a taxed lot to tax free have become worthwhile?

20. Pifester

Pifester Bug Hunter

I would have to look on my computer at home (on vacation rt now) But I remember it being in excess of 10 years. Monthly tax rate vs coto cost to upgrade