Some questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ConjurerDragon, Jan 21, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

On the system requirements page
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=19
    the requirements say that a broadband internet connection is needed, but not for offline-play.

As gameplay as far as I understood is now multiplayer for everyone in the starting areas and towns, has that requirement changed and the site should be updated?

In the minimum requirements a "Nvidia 960" is listed. I´m unable to find this using Google - is the "Nvidia Geforce GTX 960" meant?

In his thread about errors Anpu posted an error log that contained info about some shaders not working on his
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080:

What shaders are not working there, is that a general problem of this card and which card would fully support the shaders needed by SotA?

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Offline is a separate mode. When you load the game, the initial menu has Play Online at the top and then Play Offline right underneath it. Offline does not require an internet connection (unless you want to download any rewards your account has) and there are no other players in offline mode, just NPCs.
    I'm not entirely sure what they meant here but, just for reference, I can play SotA on a laptop with a Ryzen 5 3500U processor that has an integrated Vega 8 GPU. I have to use the "fastest" setting and I only get ~15-20 FPS but it's playable. This laptop has 12 gigabytes of RAM which I consider the absolute minimum.

BTW, I only use Linux.

3. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

That is as it was and what "offline" ought to mean. However according to another poster who quoted Anpu that has partially changed:

from Anpu´s list of changes for returning players:

So, as far as I understand that, it means that even someone checking "offline play" will be in Multiplayer in the outskirts and towns and would that not require an internet connection?

I´m currently still using the integrated GPU, too:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics (12) System RAM: 15742
    GPU: AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics GPU RAM: 4430
    which uses the AMD Radeon RX Vega 7, too.

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

That's still talking about online mode. You can elect to play in Private online mode but there are certain scenes that force Open mode no matter what you have selected here:

[​IMG]

FBohler and majoria70 like this.
  5. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

You're confusing offline play with private online play.
    Even in a private instance, it's still online, but the scene isn't visited by other players.

6. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

7. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

Because one used to be able to be in private mode online at all times. He wants the benefits of online mode, but does not wish to interact with other players directly, which private mode allowed previously.

They are not discussing offline mode. Offline mode does not afford one the benefits of being online.

Anpu and ConjurerDragon like this.
  8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Exactly.

@ConjurerDragon
    The reason that they decided to force Open mode for certain scenes is because new players were coming in expecting to see other players and were seeing none. I personally would rather play in Private mode most of the time but I was one of the many players that supported this change for the long term health of the game.

Anpu likes this.
  9. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

technically to get the game you need internet, and I would guess that to get any updates / bug fixes you need internet... so offline would be offline only after download / updates I would think. There is also online but private which is pretty much like offline but with world changing as far as towns and the likes of players... but private now in some places is forced multi, where offline is still offline.

As to video card yes the would be a GTX card. there is no other model listed with that number.

the 1080GTX I use to have had no issues. the errors it mentioned are only in the logs and not seen in game. There is a debugger that picks up some errors, as well there are log files that have other errors. I believe the 1080's play better than that of the newer RTX cards which have some other bug with unity which hopefully once new engine goes live fixes that long standing one.

As to an i5 processor itself with a decent video card it can play the game. I can't say beyond that on any other specs short of one of my i5 laptops Asus Tuf seems to play it fine. not on max settings or anything but plays smooth enough.

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You also need an Internet connection if you want to download any rewards.
    As an aside, the dev team can visit you in your private instance. Had that happen a couple of times.

11. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

oh I know devs can visit private , that is how some of the macro bots got caught thinking they were safe :)

Ravalox and Barugon like this.
  12. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

You're still confusing offline with private instance online.

Offline = single player
    Private Instance = online single player
    Open Instance = online multiplayer

As per my last message, Private instance is an online scene that you play alone, i.e. single player. Therefore, no Avatars jumping around. But still online!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.