[SOTA-71396] Crafting QOL: Double durability of molds

Discussion in 'Queued for Review/Processing' started by Anpu, Jan 31, 2023.

1. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

ALL molds in the game currently have a default of 100 Durability, and can be used exactly 100 times, before being destroyed and cannot be repaired. In general, like making ingots, players are making a LOT more than 100 ingots at a time. This current durability limit, causes us to just have to carry more molds, and in general, is just annoying.

I think a durability of 200 Durability for molds (and the price for the double durability mold would also be doubled) would be an expectable limit.

Also, another interesting alternate idea to address this*, would be a new player crafted mold item. These then could be crafted and sold on player vendors (as this would now be a desirable item that people would want). This item could be crafted from 2 npc purchased molds, and then some additional gold/resource sink to make them into say, a 200 durability mold. This idea would then impact the player economy in more than likely a good way (a highly desirable item).

The current 100 durability molds however, might be set to that 100 limit for "reasons". Not quite sure on that.

Also curious what other people think about this as well. AND YES, I know we ALL want an indestructible mold, but that then would entirely and completely defeat the gold sink these items are intended for. THAT I do not see ever happening. Also I feel a 200 durability limit is *acceptable*. Possibly 300?

Thank you for your consideration.

*This idea was actually Belladonna Rose's idea in Discord today. Just giving credit, where credit is due. :)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  2. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

As long as the gold cost (sink) scales with the amount, I don't see a good reason not to have multiple level. 100, 250, 500, 1000. This would make things a little easier for the "professional" crafters while keeping the cost down for the occasional crafter.

Maybe one trade-off for getting this QOL adjustment could be to stop selling tool repair kits. At least for me, they're not worth the time to do the repairs. That may not be a common opinion though.

3. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Of note, molds cannot be repaired, and are a one time gold sink item, until destroyed. NPC vendors do also buy the destroyed ones back at a cost of 5 gold.

Wilfred likes this.
  4. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

Oh, right.

Always feel free ignoring anything stupid I might say. :)

Anpu likes this.
  5. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

I have to admit that I don't really see enough value in this to make it worth doing. If the problem this is trying to solve is the the faff of having to deal with multiple ingot molds, doesn't the requirement of having to craft a mold before using it add even more annoyance than that? Or having to find a source on a player vendor?

I always enjoy ways for new players to make gold, and it sounds like making these molds and selling them (if they have access to a commission free vendor that is) could be one of those, but that surely isn't the case? How many of them could you possibly sell, since nobody crafting in large volume would pay the premium for them over the cheaper option of the 100 durability molds? It's not really a help to hold 30 molds rather than 60. And larger crafters buy ingot molds in batches of 500 or maybe 1000 at a time. An entire player vendor could only stock 200 molds at once.

I know there are people that would enjoy having higher durability molds, and if they're happy to pay for the premium then perhaps selling the 200 durability mold (as an example) at 2.5x or 3x the cost of a 100 durability mold straight from the NPC? It seems like that would be useful to many more people than adding either a crafting step or a trip to a market town, though I still wonder if there's enough people crafting in that >100 but <500 ingot range or so where it seems like it would make any difference. Having an even greater number of tiers as Shawn has suggested seems like it could somewhat solve that problem though.

Vaentorian, FrostII and Anpu like this.
  6. Gress

Gress Avatar

mb just add stuck 4 to one fresh?)
    and good if u can stuck it to one item like 30k molds
    last time ill but from vendor max as possible for one time... and mad how long and many trunks i need to use just to clear my inventory ^_^

7. pr0gress

pr0gress Avatar

ups wrong acc ^_^
    but my opinion 100 in mold is ok, just make it stuck with same #/100
    and little bit mad on 100skill u dont get 100 u got 90 as i remeber ;)

8. simon1974

simon1974 Bug Hunter

we need prosperity molds

Margaritte, Wilfred, FBohler and 2 others like this.
  9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

This ^^^
    IMO what we have is good enough.... :)

10. Vaentorian

Vaentorian Localization Team

Since the broken molds are automatically swapped out when ingredients are added to the table, I find the annoyance factor much lower than having to repair/replace tools regularly. Any solution for that would interest me much more and be more likely to unplug my wallet.

Wilfred, Anpu and that_shawn_guy like this.
  11. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

This has been good feed back from the community! Another good reason to keep these as discussion topics. As for adding double durability molds to the game, isn't something that would actually impact or improve the game, or player experience.

Consider this request closed. I actually agree, the current functioning system in the game is working fine. Sometimes the ideas we have, do not really have a meaningful impact on gameplay.

12. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

I have been saving all my broken molds for years, hoping that the devs would add something cool to do with them.
    Something like turning in 100 broken molds for a mold with 10,000 durability, and a unique title.
    (Subsequent turns ins give the unique mold, but not the title of course.)

Smelter NPC: "Are you willing to devote yourself to reach the pinacle of your craft? Bring me 100 broken ingot molds as a testament to your devotion, and you shall be rewarded."

Smelter NPC response on turn in: "Congratulations most excellent smelter. You have proved yourself dilligent. Please accept these rewards from the crafters union as a testament to your devotion."
    You have received the title: Illustrious Smelter
    You have received an item: Masterforged Ingot Mold (Item description: Forged in the intense heat of a lava flow from the remains of 100 broken ingot molds, this ingot mold has extreme durability. Can also be used as a decoration.)

----------

13. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

The MASTER OF MOLDS. You can now tame fungus creatures...

CrandalltheFoole and Anpu like this.
  14. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

SOTA-71396

Wilfred likes this.