Can’t Move Fighting Certain Foes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by williamleara, Feb 6, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. williamleara

williamleara Avatar

There are a few guys I fight, e.g. Obsidian Trolls, some of the Cabalists, where I lose control of my character.

For example, I am stuck and can’t move, or I can move a little, but all the direction keys are scrambled. So, what happens is that I’m basically frozen, and the bad guy just pummels me to death.

I assume this is by design, and not a bug?

If so, how do you deal with this situation? Some skill or strategy? It’s no fun to be frozen and not able to defend yourself, run away, or fight back.

FBohler likes this.
  2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

On your character bar, creatures can place debuffs, shown as an icon on the character bar, on you that can do various things. Troll creatures can for example, place a stun or knockdown on you. You can counter this debuff by using the Knights Grace skill or Purify skill. Creatures placing debuff on you is the game’s design.

Beaumaris and FrostII like this.
  3. vulcanjedi

vulcanjedi Bug Hunter

There are roots, stuns and confusion from enemies that effect your movement. Confusion means you need to press a different direction key. The others can slow you down or prevent you moving. Smelling salts can remove some effects. Some skills make it harder for enemies to disrupt your movement. Someone can probably chime in with some more details.
    vj

Beaumaris likes this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

When the troll jumps that means he is going to do a stomp attack, which will knock your character down for a bit and then you will be confused (directionally challenged). To avoid that, jump when you see the troll jump. You're affected by the stomp attack only if you're connected to the ground when it happens.

Also, if you use the right mouse button for mouse-look then the turn left and turn right keys will act as strafe left and strafe right while holding down the right mouse button. This works whether your confused or not.

You can get out of a stun or root by jumping a lot. Also, smelling salts will remove stun, confusion or mesmerize and you can add them to your utility bar or combat bar.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
    Sentinel2 likes this.
  5. williamleara

williamleara Avatar

Thanks all for the education! I have the Hard Headed skill at 90, but it's not helping. I'll try Purify and Smelling Salts!

FBohler and Beaumaris like this.
  6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

[​IMG]
    This skill only provides a chance to help resist stuns. It is NOT 100% resistance. At my 102 level it is only a 25.5% chance to help me resist stuns.

[​IMG]
    Not quite sure where you think this item removes stuns?

Beaumaris likes this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Because I tested it.

[edit] Admittedly, it was a long time ago. I never use smelling salts for stun now as I'm pretty stun resistant and jumping works pretty good.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
  8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I would not expect smelling salts, so in any way effect the knocked down or stunned effect, using smelling salts. It *should* remove the confused effect:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The window of opportunity to actually see if smelling salts DO or possibly may remove that is so incredibly small, it would almost be impossible to test.

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Six seconds is still plenty long enough to test it though. ;)

10. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

That's still not enough time to prevent human error when testing. More than likely what happened, is the stun effect expired AS you were consuming the smelling salts. Giving the "appearance" it removed the stun. But I have not actually tested this myself.

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Looking at that debuff icon, it appears that the total duration of the stun was around 10 seconds. That's plenty of time to get an accurate test. If you use a smelling salt and the icon vanishes well before the timeout then that pretty much seals it. 10 seconds is a long time.

12. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

If it cleared the Swipe’s +1 Stun effect yes.

13. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

I'm pretty sure smelling salts does work even though it shouldnt based on it's tooltip

14. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Yes, SotA is the game where mobs have fun stunning you!

15. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Among other things... like the horrific debuff fire elemental creatures can place on you.... D: (which cannot be removed at all, to my knowledge).

FBohler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.