For Those that Dream About Non-Combat Gathering

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Lazlo, Nov 16, 2022.

1. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

This week I played SotA for the first time in a pretty long time, and I messed around with a lot of things that weren't exactly new, but were new to me.

The other day I came across some posts here about non-combat gathering, which is something that some people have always aspired to. I can't say I really understand that, since at this point you can just instantly flatten anything outside of high-level zones, but I thought it would be a fun challenge to try my hand at non-combat gathering.

This was my best attempt. I'm not sure if this will actually be helpful to anyone, but it was pretty fun to make, and mildly entertaining. It's a short video and I placed a little bit of commentary throughout. Not a single combat skill was used.

FrostII, Time Lord and Adam Crow like this.
  2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

You actually can gather peaceful in overland Stag encounters. And also in the Dog encounter, except the dogs are hostile, but they have only like 4 hit points.

Adam Crow likes this.
  3. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

The problem is once the dogs are killed the herders come attacking and suddenly I realized that I qualify as a rustler...

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Did you also kill the animals in there?

5. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

One other thing that's worth mentioning, the first hit on each ore node gives you more materials than the meticulous chances. Gold and silver both have a chance at 2 or 3 ore on the first attempt. Iron and Copper also work that way, and have an additional chance for granite, tin, tungsten and nickel. All meticulous attempts only give 1 additional ore, no matter the node type.

So if you're after granite, tin, nickel, or tungsten the method in the video is actually more effective at gathering those.

FrostII, Time Lord and Lazlo like this.
  6. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I was pretty surprised at how profitable it ended up being, especially considering that you can easily just do the same thing but kill stuff or use meticulous when worth it. The biggest trick is putting together a good route that keeps you busy with minimal dead time. Elysium/Twins worked pretty well.

Time Lord and Adam Crow like this.
  7. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I bet Tanglemire/Tarturus would be good for a speed setup too. You get double the xp, but would need a higher mining skill to make it work I think.

Lazlo likes this.
  8. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

I had to - there was no way to use a rope to create a lasso, catch them and drive the whole herd to Abilene or Dodge City for auction.

FrostII likes this.
  9. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

This is really starting to grow on me. One hidden advantage of non-lethal gathering is that you finish with a completely clean inventory. It's kinda nice being able to just dump everything into 1 box instead of sorting through a bunch of random pots and pans nonsense.

Time Lord and Adam Crow like this.
  10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

don't stop me now by queen
    Irene Cara - What A Feeling
    the theme song of mighty mouse
    Michael Jackson - Beat It
    Joe Tex - I Gotcha
    Comfort Eagle - Cake
    Beck - Loser

I'm certian there's others to increase efficiency or add to the player's desired ambient sota zen level.
    Lazlo the SOTA Zen Master :D~TL~:thumbs up:

Lazlo likes this.
  11. Xithar

Xithar Avatar

Fun video
    When I talked with some people about none combat gathering both here and in other games they usually wanted to play peaceful characters who don't fight at all expect of emergencies - like most people in real life. I'm a bit unsure if a Tier 5 mine which you may only enter in the middle of a Tier 5 area is a good demonstration for that since their adventure level would be not far above 1 with very low hp. Either the encounter maps or some of the Tier 1 maps might be much better for that kind of player, if something attacks there they may most often run away from it - again, like most people would do in real life.

If we are talking about adv level 100+ players just train your taming skill and buy one of the highest tier pets. It's still faster when you help them in fights but it's very possible to do the upper level of Etceter mine and the ground level of Elysium without fighting yourself.

Last edited: May 23, 2023
  12. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

this was an interesting topic so wanted to mess with it a bit. i think an alternative here is use of mesmerizing skills. dazzling rays, moon beams, & mesmerizing melody. my dazzling rays skill is 110 and i was able to mine a full elysium loop without as much as flicking a mob. just dazzled em and mined. i also had air shield on in case an arrow flew my way but in general i was grazed only a couple of times. moon beams is less convenient due to having to target and mez melody takes resinging. the nice thing about mez melody is that it stays on and any new mobs walking into it will get mezzed, though it has a much lower chance to mez. keep in mind if any damage comes to a mezzed mob it will remove the mez. of course, this takes adventure XP to reach this so there is a bit of a chicken/egg issue here. so if the goal is to be able to mine with zero adventure XP then this wont work. but if you want to get some adventure XP and build up to a skill that will then allow you to mine without issue, dazzling rays may be your solution :)

here is what my dazzling rays looks like (it was very effective):

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2023
    Margaritte, Anpu and ConjurerDragon like this.
  13. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

followed up Elysium with a trip to Etceter Crag Mines. first two levels were easy to mine with dazzling rays. level 3 was a bit of a challenge due to the mob concentration.

Margaritte likes this.