What Ever Happened to Ultima?

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by argoul, May 11, 2023.

1. argoul

argoul Avatar

Howdy all, I'm another one of those old dudes who recently went down the rabbit hole of asking "I wonder what ever happened with the Ultima series and Richard Garriott?" only to discover SOTA. Briefly, my favorite DOS games were the Ultima series (I up through V). I missed out on the rest of the series only to pick up Ascension around the turn of the century. I must be one of the very few who actually liked Ascension (given all the bad GOG reviews nowadays) because I really loved the game and beat it multiple times.

Regarding SOTA, despite reading all the negative press about the game, I tried it out and I'm having a blast! I love the "laid back" old school approach to RPGs. It could be my faulty memory, but it feels like how I remember Ascension, but with so much more to do. The community has been so friendly and I get a sense that this may have to do with the maturity level of the players. I love my kids, but it's nice not having hordes of 8 year olds cursing every two words in the chat.

In any case, I'm 16 hours in, still learning the ropes, and still working on setting up the "perfect" key maps for my controller. It looks like I'll be doing some rounds in the Soltown catacombs, so feel free to join me as I level up--avatar is my forum name, Argoul.

To the SOTA devs, thanks for an awesome game and I'm looking forward to exploring more and getting to know all y'all!

2. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

The Soltown Catacombs were the place of my Avatars first death. If you have not done already I suggest to do all quests of Solace Bridge Outskirts and the other quests in Soltown before going deeper into there.

3. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Welcome and be sure to always feel free to ask us any questions. Many of the people here are always happy to help.

FurryExciton, Cordelayne and argoul like this.
  4. argoul

argoul Avatar

It's been tough, but doable so far. I made the mistake of meeting Min at the tower and promptly died before even getting to the tower...which made me think, humm, time to grind a bit. But thanks for the advice!

Anpu likes this.
  5. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

On the forum it is adviced that you should do all 3 outskirts scenes before venturing forth (Solace Bridge Outskirts, Bloodriver Outskirts and Highvale Outskirts).

The tower of the shuttered eye is "Tier 4" (= 4 skulls on the pole) which is a steep difficulty increase for a starting avatar.

Anpu likes this.
  6. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I played all the old Ultima Games except Ultima 8 which I bought but just couldn't get into. I loved Ultima Ascension, and back then I was really impressed with the beautiful 3d graphics. I'm glad you're enjoying SotA. I spent over 3000 hours playing and enjoying it before finally giving it up because I wasn't up to the increasing difficulty level.

7. argoul

argoul Avatar

Oh well, heck, I didn't know that. I did Solace Bridge Outskirts, but I think I'll do the others next. Thanks!

Yeah, I got my butt kicked pretty quickly, re-spawned in front of the tower, went inside, and promptly ran away. I think the game then had a bug (?) because it said I killed Min even though I didn't...maybe the NPCs did? Anyways, this is how I came to the brilliant conclusion I need to level up before going on. So yep, your advice is very welcome.

Greyson586 likes this.
  8. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings argoul
    Also remember to eat and consume potions before fighting. Different foods and potions provide additional stats to help you survive longer.

https://sotawiki.net/sota/Category:Food

You can check out the vendors in the starter towns, not the outskirts, for inexpensive armor and weapons or message me and I can make you some that works with your build. In game and forum name is Warrior B'Patrick.

Welcome to the worlds and may you reign be long.

FrostII and argoul like this.
  9. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

Arabella in Soltown informs you that you should go to the other outskirts area, too.

Remember that you donĀ“t go directly to the outskirts area. Just like Solace Bridge Massacre --> Solace Bridge Outskirts you go either Bloodriver Massacre --> Bloodriver Outskirts or Highvale Massacre --> Highvale outskirts.

https://sotawiki.net/sota/Scene_Difficulty

argoul likes this.
  10. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@argoul
    Another great place to ask any question is ingame Universal Chat.
    Trust me, you'll be glad if you take advantage of it... :)

Cordelayne and argoul like this.
  11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome to the game @argoul. Also I never go fighting and adventuring without all buffs and blessings which include as mentioned and jump in a couple of devotionals located in many of the player towns you pass by. Just mouse over town names to see what is in them. The town criers in player towns give 250 gold if you speak to them. So that is a plus ;)

FrostII, ConjurerDragon and argoul like this.
  12. shoey

shoey Avatar

13. shoey

shoey Avatar

I am old school Ultima and ultima online player. I recently started playing Sota. I am having a blast. Love the old school RPG. Reminds me of the first days of ultima online.

Sentinel2 and Anpu like this.