1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Darkstarr's Release 3 Impressions

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Feb 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Greetings Avatars,

It is hard to describe the feeling of joy and pride we felt when we first logged into Release 3 and we could finally see all of you in the game. It was like watching your child walk for the first time. Even though we are still very early and there are only a handful of things to do, I felt like I was really stepping back into Britannia; a living, breathing world. Having impromptu chats and celebrations with all of you was a real treasure. My favorite moment was debating Chaos vs. Virtue with Lord British himself on the stairs inside the Braemar Inn while all of you jeered, cheered, jumped, clapped, bowed, and generally made a ruckus.

Now watching your child walk for the first time includes a few stumbles and skinned knees. For us, those related to some very serious performance issues we encountered. We are making solving these issues our top priority because we want to live by the mantra “Stable, Fast, Fun. In that order.” If we cannot provide you a stable and well performing platform then, you will not be able to accurately give us feedback on that ephemeral fun factor and at the end of the day that is the goal; to find the fun.

Thank you again for being such an amazing community and supporting us on this journey to make the best crowd funded and crowd sourced RPG ever!

Release 3 is dead! Long live Release 4!

Sincerely,
    Darkstarr
    aka Starr Long

2. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I hope your first experience with someone other than the team was seeing me nude, flexing, saying, "You even lift bro?" . .. I think it was Lum's.

It's how I welcome people to the internets... Life isn't nearly as much fun without the absurd... and chaotic.

licemeat, Miganarchine, Maka and 2 others like this.
  3. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Hip hip Horray!!!!

Maka likes this.
  4. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Seeing you nude was nothing compared to Lori........sorry you just can't compete there ;)

Maka likes this.
  5. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Yeah ! Was Nice !

I invitre you to pass in the PvP forum to be aware of some discussions we would like to be informed.

Thank you.

Pluvius likes this.
  6. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

yeah the debate was nice, the rest of R3 was great fun, can't wait to see the improvement of the performance. Please don't forget to improve the loading time for new scenes

Maka and * Envy / Midian * like this.
  7. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

I am working on a PVP post about our current thinking that will hopefully go live before the end of next week so please be patient.

8. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

R3 was amazing to get to see everyone, make some new friends and renew the joy of roof climbing :)

Now, if @Bzuz had only given us feathers to make those dang mattresses!

Lord Royou, Fireangel and Maka like this.
  9. Ferrus

Ferrus Avatar

This is good news, thank you Darkstarr.

Mishri likes this.
  10. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

Oh and ClassicMode was....classic! Well done.

NRaas likes this.
  11. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

No problem, you have my trust.

Many Thanks DarkStarr for your reply.

It's very appreciated.

12. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Hi Darkstarr - thank you again for all your (read: you and all the dev team) hard and dedicated work, and for giving us the privilege of being involved in this awesome journey.

I loved your analogy about a child taking their first steps - we have a granddaughter at just that stage. In just a few weeks she has gone from a few tottering steps to walking everywhere! Can't quite run yet (so her mum can still catch her :)) but that's coming.... It's wonderful to see, and I have absolute confidence that with the team we have, the growth and development in SoTA will be just as awesome.You obviously are all over the performance issues, so no more need be said.
    I found it a wondrous experience to see everybody; had some great conversations with people and it was lovely to put "faces" to names. New Britannia is now living and breathing - can't wait to see the next step!

13. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I wonder if it is odd that as a producer, he probably strongly advocates for structure, control and order in all things.

But his character is supposed to represent chaos.

Amberraine and NRaas like this.
  14. Tizon

Tizon Avatar

HAHA THOSE CRAZY ROOF JUMPERS!

15. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Was so amazing! I wish I could have participated more... made getting sick ten times worse. >.< Can't wait for next time!

Amberraine likes this.
  16. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Looking at the original notes to Release 3, it struck me as an important one, and yet one that could be "missed" if needs be. However, I'm very glad I didn't have to miss it.

It surprised me that really all that we needed was just a bit of a "space" for people to make and have that much fun. No I don't think that's ALL you could do and have people be happy, but even the limited aspect of the test, aside from lag issues, everyone I saw was having fun even with simple things such as wisp watching and roof jumping.

It was great to hang out with Seir, a guildmate from years back in UO on Lake Superior as well as with the Stratics crew, Lum, FireLotus, Fireangel, oneandonly, dallas, and quite a few from the boards here.

My only regret was not being able to be ingame with Lord British and/or Darkstarr. Soon... hopefully, that can be remedied.

17. barkleyjer

barkleyjer Avatar

I generally had good feedback to report from R3 - I was impressed by the stability and quality so far. UI was still rough, as to be expected in a pre-alpha. I'm really looking forward to R4, I'm hoping it will convert the rest of my on-lookers to SotA!

18. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

My deepest warmest thanks my Liege,

Was a pure honour and some great memories were created in R3. To be able to wiggle my toes in the dirt of New Britannia, because someone told me standing on Fire Lotus Tavern bar with my boots on was bad manners, and i forgot to put them back on! Made for a very very great start to a recovering weekend. To meet in "person" (avatar) - DarkStarr, and being able to take screen shots, will forever go down as one of my best memories of all time, since we can not all be so lucky as to have an "RL" meet with the Dark One, which is the only thing that would make it even better.

And so many friends made, so many more to make!

This release was one that shall be talked about for so long to come, and R4 and further releases only promises dreams and desires of so much more!

Thank you to the entire Development team, and all of Portalarium. You are making dreams come true!

Long Live New Britannia

-=- Blessed Be Thy Spoons -=-

19. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Chris! Chime in, sir!

20. Ember

Ember Avatar

Now that is music to my ears! A game can't be fun if it's only barely playable! *cheers*

I gotta say, R3 was definitely so much more than just a pre-alpha release of a game for players to bug-test... The multiplayer aspect really defined this experience for me. The world came alive with new friendships, amazing stories, and creative inspiration that I know, for me personally, will last well into and beyond the official release! Thank you Darkstarr and the entire Portalarium team for making this game better and better and better!

And now for an obligatory fangirl screenie...
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.