GM Skill Perks

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Acrylic 300, Mar 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

In other forums I have noticed a lot of demands that: No play style should receive special Items, Resources, or be able to go to special Places.

I'm very interested to hear opinions on what special perks (if any) players would like to see for high level skills.

For example in UO (yes, I know SotA is not UO) GM Fisherman received some nice perks. Paintings, Nets, Chests, Ropes, MIBs, Serps...the list goes on and on. A lot of these perks were GM specific.

If you had the choice would you have a player's specialized skills reap special rewards?

2. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I kind of hope there's no actual gm, and you can just keep learning. I'd rather they not do anything, because it pushed the game to min/max powerleveling instead of enjoying the journey.

Lord Baldrith, Kct and acrylic_300 like this.
  3. Owain

Owain Avatar

A marginal increase in skill should yield a marginal increase in capability. If it goes much beyond that, that is where games start to 'jump the shark'.

4. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

Well if you take time to specialize you should get something for it. If theres no in entive players will just make jack of all trades tank mages ala UO

5. Owain

Owain Avatar

Don't think that will be a problem. In every dev chat so far, it has been said that is the fastest way possible to gimp your character. You can do it, but you probably won't like the results.

6. Veylen The AenigmA

Well a lot of devs say things prior to launch only to find out their implimentation left something to be desired so i tend to not beleive it till i see it. I hope they are right but clever players have made fools of supposed clever devs in the past. Hope im wrong

acrylic_300 likes this.
  7. Owain

Owain Avatar

From what I've seen so far, the devs are good at considering the implications of their choices. This isn't their first rodeo.

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

That's true but 20+ minds vs 20,000+ minds. I would like to think devs are perfect but they're not. They don't think of absolutely everything. Though I'm not here to debate that. I'm actually agreeing with the no special perks. I don't think they're needed either.

If I may use an example of the NWN server I played on. We had a mining tool that allowed you to mine for gems for crafting. Your base odds of finding something was something like 5%? About 1 in 20 tries if I recall correctly. Actually now that I think about that was a low yield spot.. higher yield locations were in higher 'level' areas.. anyway I digress. What we did was increase the odds by 1% bfor every 10 pts of skill and it works very well. We didn't add anything special if your skill exceeded a certain amount. The reward of maxing the skill was being able to mine very quickly and that was enough.

All that to express the simple premise that improved skill efficiency should be enough incentive to increase your skill if you want to be good at something. To apply these ideas to the UO fishing example.. even a novice would be able to pull up lost treasures.. it's just their odds of doing so would be very very low. Those odds could increase with increased skill.. even if only indirectly as better skill means you're just more likely to catch something.

Time Lord and acrylic_300 like this.
  9. Veylen The AenigmA

It is not really a question of if they should to me of course they shouldt. What wouldnt be cool about incentivizing getting to GM. I dont understand why some of you are against something thats cool. If it doesnt unbalance anything and only adds more fun where is the drawback?

10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

That's the catch isn't it? What kind of perks wouldn't be unbalancing in some way? and isn't improved efficiency something of a "perk"? Is that not incentive to max a skill?

Besides that.. what kind of perk would feel natural / make sense? I'd rather not see a perk that acts like someone just flipped a switch when you hit max skill as opposed to say.. just before hitting max skill. You're .01% better at this than you were a minute ago.. suddenly you can do something complete new that you had no chance of doing before. hmmm

Time Lord, Lord Baldrith and Ferrus like this.
  11. Veylen The AenigmA

How could it be unbalancing if its not even known what the perk is? It doesnt habe to be improved combat ability why cant it be something creative like a new animation, title or GM only weapon skins that distingiush you. Im of the mind since it is called grandmaster one should look the part and have something dinatinguishing and that says im a grandmaster be it an extra ability or whatever. It doesnt have to be unbalancing if they design right

If it is a new and or more powerful skills they can always find ways to balance and counter balance and if they cant they arent worth the carbon they were created with. They already said they want ppl to GM and jack if all trades will not be very viable so if everyone is going down that path why not make it rewarding and cool since if everyone is doing it obviously they will balance for it

Its not like anyone has asked for an uninteruptable uber ability of uberosity

12. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

It could be Grandmaster recipe's for the crafters that create a weapon/item that only a Grandmaster can use.
    I don't see that as any different to someone at 90% level taking on a 95% level player the higher trained should be better.

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Why do you think I asked what perks wouldn't be unbalancing? :) It was to provoke an answer.. preferably a creative and positive one.

My argument isn't against any and all perks period but if there is no clear benefit to the player then it's something we probably wouldn't miss. Therefore, the challenge is to those who want the perks to come up some interesting ideas rather than just say "we want perks". Titles and animations are interesting ideas. Well done. :) Stuff like that I have no objection to.

Another thought to consider is GM emotes or how it might effect apprentices?

Though it should be noted that we've had no indication at all that a maxed skill will be called Grandmaster. For that matter I haven't seen or heard any indication that skill 'levels' will have any title at all.. though I suppose it would be typical.

Time Lord and mmjarec like this.
  14. zavb9lov

zavb9lov Avatar

было бы логично, если, когда навык копания, например, до 100% мастером NPC учил нас, как орудовать выбор из стали, например. (В то время как я не осилит NPC отказывается обучать меня, потому что он считает, что только мастера, достойные его) Это кирка сильные, и я могу получить его больше хард-рок руды. Аналогично с другими навыками. В чем проблема я не вижу? Какой ужасный пример - когда уровень мастерства только увеличивает шансы и ничего больше? Если мир не будет otkrtym PVP он будет процветать Userbot. В конце концов, все желающие смогут получить все, даже ничего не распространен. Просто 24/7 производства вот и все!

15. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Lack of open PvP does not result in a world overrun with bots. They can still be detected and reported by players, and will be. The response from the devs will be to ban those characters, forcing new accounts to be produced, which will cost real money. If there is someone out there so determined to bot mine that they will repeatedly purchase new accounts, I say let em. It supports the game itself, and costs me nothing more than the time I might occasionally spend poking a bot to see if it responds like a player or a program.

16. Mattsy

Mattsy Avatar

I would consider perk enough would be title + the efficiency.

While the game probably won't be based on % points they are easy to use as an example. I would be happy with something along the lines of the probability of creating an item gradually increases with each skill gain but then there's a bit of icing for the last little point up to GM/max skill.
    Eg You begin being able to make something at 90% skill and have 50% chance of making it each time which goes up in line with your actual skill so at 95% skill you have 60% chance and 99.9% skill you have 79.8% chance of making. When you tick over to 100% you get 85% chance of success. Personally I find that fair and reasonable.

That is all of course assuming skills do in fact max out...

acrylic_300 likes this.
  17. Veylen The AenigmA

As far as apprentices ill defer to someone more familiar with the sustem. But i have yet to see a game who takes the concept to the next level. I dont see why they couldnt at least do titles or special wardrobes. Ideally id like to see animations and weapons. Perhaps different gfx attacks wise ie particles and explosion type effects with fireball or a more visceral type of particles like a super swoosh instead of the regular sword swing perhaps a change in color or a tickening of the trails your weapon has behind it when you swing. Some kind of alternate ability with customizable modifiers like give more dmg for higher endurance cost or vice versa

18. zavb9lov

zavb9lov Avatar

WoW crowded boats. There is also need to buy the game every time. This does not stop the one who makes money from it.

19. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

No one WILL make money off it if they get a 20 dollar profit from each purchase and subsequent banning of a 60 dollar game. The things that a new character can bot mine will likely not sell well due to the easy availability, the real money in bot farming is rare, high end goods, where the time spent gathering is worth more to the random player than the in game money he spends to buy it off you. An account that gets banned never gets to the point where it can gather those high end goods. Net Loss. In the meantime, for those farmers who ARE able to sustain output, all they really do is post goods for sale in the market. If you don't like their prices, don't buy. They can be out competed, I've done it.

The one place I've seen farm bots truly damage players is when some retard hires them for illegal powerleveling, not realizing that they will hack his account, turn him into a bot, and get him banned afterwards. Once again, I'm all for it, it thins out the retard population.

Being stupid should hurt.

20. Curt

Curt Avatar

One perk that would make sense if it made the vendors they sell their stuff different proudly presenting their stuff as made by a true master.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.