Will there be IDOC?

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Ahjian, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahjian

Ahjian Avatar

IDOC = In danger of collaspsing

Back in the UO days, one of the greatest reward comes from camping IDOC houses. I remember looting 2 fruit baskets and some rocks (there are rares in the early UO days) from a tower.

SotA is free to play does it mean that all houses placed will be there forever?

2. Khumash-Gor

Khumash-Gor Avatar

I think it should be more realistic. If you your duties on payment or "refresh" if refresh will exist, then it should go to the bank and you should have to pay some sort of tax/difference/penalty to start getting your stuff back out from the bank.

3. Ahjian

Ahjian Avatar

Seeing how KS homes are rent free, I think these homes will be there forever.

4. KernelPanic

KernelPanic Avatar

I like the idea that you can buy your stuff back from the bank. If something happens and you can't play for two months and your house has been cleared that you at least have your stuff around.

On the other hand... Hunting IDOC houses was a fun thing to do!

5. smack

smack Avatar

I forgot where RG mentioned this, but it was in one video interview and he used the phrase "maintain your house". I'll have to find that interview again and see in what context that meant.

6. Andrew Vawter

Andrew Vawter Avatar

I would hope the KS homes are forever maintained. It would add value when a KS person decides to "cash out". Or if they just stop playing for a while.

7. Reiatsul

Reiatsul Avatar

With Kickstart offering Rent-free house deeds! that would suggest that in-game the housing purchased and placed on the lots for Villages/towns/cities incur an ongoing rent/fee. what is not known is the frequency of the rent and/or the lot rent in conjugation to what you build on it

8. Ahjian

Ahjian Avatar

And what is also not known is what happens when the player stops paying rent? Does it go IDOC?

No answer now, but I hope devs can enlighten us in due course.

9. Andrew Vawter

Andrew Vawter Avatar

Wouldn't the house more logically go IDOR? In danger of Repossession?

Since after all they'd confiscate your stuff and sell it off to levy the taxes against you.

10. Illesac

Illesac Avatar

I like IDOR :)

I think taxes solve the issue for housing associated to accounts that are no longer active but you're right that a kickstarter house could become dead space if the user stops playing. Not really sure how to address this but maybe some sort of plant grows around houses that are not maintained and eventually if you don't tend to the plants they eventually destroy the house. This could be setup for a long time frame because the week for IDOC in UO was way to short for those of us who like to travel. There was nothing worse than recalling to your old house just to find a newly placed villa because your friend refreshed your house but he did it a few minutes before server down so it didn't actually save. AGGGHHH the bad memories!!!!!

11. Malchir

Malchir Avatar

We know that most houses won't be KS houses and will thus will cost upkeep taxes etc to maintain. In danger of being repossessed is more like it, in which case they are property of the King, and the King delegates his real estate people to either drop the property or put a price tag on it, this would be a pretty cool, as for the OP,...

Rocks & Fruitbaskets spawn every day and are worth hardly anything! LOL!

Anyway, back to the discussion of IDOCs, IDOCs are the most evil thing UO ever created!, Think of the player who's eyeball went crooked because he slept with 1 eye open at a monitor for 12 hours because he didn't have it timed, that guy's eye looked crooked ever since, any game that encourages this type of eyeball abuse is sort of messed up, please don't add IDOCS, add something like the deal I invented above, peace.

12. Illesac

Illesac Avatar

They could go a few ways with this, all of which have their own elements of fun.

1) The house, property and all loot is auctioned
    2) The house collapses leaving it's loot for whomever has been patient enough to wait and the property lot is auctioned
    3) UO style free-for-all

I personally think 1 and 2 are good options. The only reason I even consider 2 after Malchir's hilarious eyeball abuse comment is that having a property lot only auction would help reflect the real value of nearby housing while option 1 may skew those results if say some bored Baron wants to buy the equivilant of a scratch of lotto ticket for whatever is inside of the house and doesn't care about the property because he's swimming in gold back at this tower.

13. Riot

Riot Avatar

It might be a good idea for a gold sink to have people place bids on certain lots that are about to go IDOC or whatever the equivalent is if they don't pay their taxes. The highest bidder gets control of the house and its belongings. That way it's fair, you don't have to stay up for long hours with an itchy trigger finger, and it removes a ton of gold from the economy if it gets stagnant.

14. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=19

Too bad IDOCs won't have stuff, not physical piles of junk to haul off, only the plot of land alone. There will be a market for this and I doubt many house plots will IDOC fall at month 5 release but maybe 1 year post-release there will be a few. (Good Plots I mean) As for regularly taxed plots I do expect them to drop a lot more frequently if they are in an undesirable spot.

The question is, will we be able to calculate the collapsing time as with an IDOC or will we have no warning that a house is greatly worn?

Time Lord likes this.
  15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

40% of the houses will be kickstarter houses. The majority who did not pay for a house will not get one.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Knight Commander Tyncale

Knight Commander Tyncale Avatar

I never played UO but I can see the appeal that game must have had: IDOC is a perfect example of emergent gameplay that most likely was not foreseen. Or at least not in in the way it turned out, with players finding a IDOC house and waiting around for it to collapse in the hope of finding abandoned treasure. A MMO can't get much better then that. I realize that Portalarium is trying to get as many old school UO features in SotA as possible, but I think hardcore UO fans are going to be disappointed because of all the small details and gameplay that can simply not be recreated.

17. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

There will be plenty of house lots available once the game ships (Darktarr said this before). As for IDOC, after a certain period of time the house will be removed (with all items in the house) into the backpack of owner if:
    1) monthly rent/tax is not paid
    or
    2) no activity for XX amount of months (tax-free lots)

So if you are looking to score a few free items (like in UO), you will be out of luck. If you want the open lot then that will be available once the house and lot disappear.

The One, Keira Of CODB and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.