Animal helms and Taxidermy funiture.

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Kumakaze [BEAR], May 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kumakaze [BEAR]

Kumakaze [BEAR] Avatar

I remember the old things in UO I enjoyed seeing, and a lot of people used to wear the bearskin and staghorn helms proudly. I wonder if that could be something we'll be seeing in the game in future, other animal helms would be great such as wolf or puma helms too since we are limited to one race (hey!I am not complaining mind!). Also stuffed animals, animal trophies and rugs were fun to see in people's houses as well, I used to be a crafter and an intense interior decorator. Be great for the future Bear Tavern to have!

2. rild

rild Avatar

+1 !!

3. Vallas (Beran’s Reach)

Vallas (Beran’s Reach) Avatar

Bear hats! Bear hats for all!

Time Lord and Lukashka like this.
  4. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I want randomly generated animals with a chance for rarity: color, size, and maybe even personality for taming purposes.

Then when I mount that 18 point, 400 stone white stag on the wall, I can feel proud knowing it's a one of a kind.

Maybe my pet squirrel knows a special trick that only 1 out of a 1000 squirrels can learn. Maybe I have 1 of only a few black squirrels.

To make a raccoon fur coat I would need to find several pelts of the same size and quality. A white, black, or cinnamon coat would be impossible to make without shopping vendors.

Variety could really spice up hunting, fishing and taming.

5. Kumakaze [BEAR]

Kumakaze [BEAR] Avatar

A true hunter's treat! ^ :) Be an amazing idea indeed.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

7. Matheryn

Matheryn Avatar

yeah this is a great thing to bring from UO to sota and add on it with other animals like a wolf helm and cloak

8. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I think furs should have better quality in cold regions and during Winter months. Generally, furs harvested in hot summer months have blueish skin and gangly fur that is considered useless compared to furs from a cold hard Winter.

It would also be nice to differentiate between environments. If you wear a fur cloak into a desert you should take hits on several attributes (intelligence included). Wearing it in an icy cavern or wind swept arctic environment would of course give attributes bonuses.

This would open up a good market for gear and play well into RGs bag of tricks. Being prepared for an adventure ahead of time would have a pay off.

9. Matheryn

Matheryn Avatar

then again the person wearing the alpha wolf scalp as a helm could be reguarded as the new alpha to a pack of wolves

10. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

18 point buck? people out east count tines on antlers strangely...

I guess that's because in the west symmetric racks are highly preferable over abnormal racks.. actually it looks like for scoring purposes symmetry is important even in the east.

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/deer/scoring.html

generally injury and disease cause non-typical tines (although genetics may play a role).. also.. 400 stone bucks would be pretty dang heavy.. 5600lbs? I haven't heard of such a beast.. biggest on earth was 500lbs... heaviest moose 1,697... so that would indeed be a monster.

looking at pictures of claimed 18 point bucks I couldn't find any of them that really qualify, even counting non-typicals over an inch long that are longer than they are wide. (just because it splits doesn't qualify it as a point)

Marvin likes this.
  11. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

like this guy: most of his points wouldn't count, too wide. http://www.deer-forums.com/discus/messages/3/8837.jpg

Marvin likes this.
  12. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I haven't hunted for about 30 years but for the sake of hunting stories we counted any tine that a wedding ring would fit on and then called it a point. 18 is the largest I have personally seen here in Missouri (white tail), but that was when I was 5 years old some 40 years ago, before good records were kept. By today's standards it may not have been 18 points.

I had no idea what a stone weighs, was thinking a pound. So yeah, not 400 stones.

I was giving a basic example for the sake of discussion, an actual scoring system is probably too much to ask but would be nice.

13. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

That's cool. I actually do like the idea. I was just pointing out what might happen if you use various scoring methods, if you were to do any i'd follow a boone and crockett club system, it's widely recognized and used, as opposed to localized scoring methods :) (a score of 160 earns a award, 170 is the record, add up all the measurements, subtract any differences between the left and right side) so you can Score it, instead of calling them points, like in the west we only count one side, so a 6 point is pretty nice (what would be called a 12 point) or a 6 by 8 for abnormal racks would be a 14 point in the east.. and texas.

Marvin likes this.
  14. Brazen

Brazen Avatar

I want a badger hat.

15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

++;

I'm generally in favor of this idea except for the whole macabre applying this stuff to humans. I don't really have a technical or design reason for it I just don't think it'd improve the game and think it's in poor taste. But I do realize there are some folks who want that and since I don't have a design or technical reason not to I won't press the issue. I just feel the need to point out there are plenty of us also who don't want to see that kind of thing.

DavenRock likes this.
  16. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

Can we make armor out of human flesh and bones?

That'd be kinda cool, for all the evil players.

DavenRock likes this.
  17. Lukashka the Necromancer

Lukashka the Necromancer Avatar

+1 taxidermy is awesome.

18. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Don't give evil players and support, they'll find a way to be disgusting on their own. :(

19. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

Just sayin, being able to craft bone maces out of human skulls would be prettttttttty intimidating...

20. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I want a dragon hat.

(I guess they could just make a hat out of the head. :))

DavenRock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.