PVP Only Resource - Souls

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Ned888, Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

PvP Resource - Souls!

Okay, here's my idea: When the PvP player does the mission with the Oracle to access full and open PvP (to the extent that it's going to be available) they receive a special magic item called 'The Well of Souls/Soul Shard/Soul Sucker" or whatever. This item/device will collect a portion of the soul of any defeated player and that soul is REQUIRED to craft PvP weapons and equipment. The more powerful the enchantment, the more souls it will require to craft and thus the more PvP it will require. The souls could be collected by a PvP player and given to a crafter who knows the formula for the enchantment.

This system would be a good justification for why the PvP enchantments on weapons only work against other players; it's soul energy after all.

I also think that this could be scaled for the soul level collected. For example, a really high level enchantment might not just require a certain number of souls, but souls of a specific level. This would ensure that there was no new player abuse while collecting resources.

What do you think? It's a PvP specific resource that directly affects PvP equipment. It might draw in people who normally wouldn't PvP, because they want to collect souls to craft that Phat PvP Gear. It would also give PvP players something to fight for, since they will want these souls to improve their equipment.

P.S. - This is a re-post of what I put over on the PvP Mega thread. It was suggested that I move it over here.

rowan50k likes this.
  2. zavb9lov

zavb9lov Avatar

No offense, but I once again say that this is a bad idea! Any resource extracted from dead players leads to several account around the clock and extraction of the resource. If such a fragment and enter the game you need to make that same soul shard did not accept. And that in this case, people will just strip down to goals and trade their souls for gold!

3. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

If there was a timer which dictated how often an individual soul could be harvested, this would not be an issue. An easy fix.

That being said, there is absolutely no difference between this resource and any other. All have the potential to be abused; at least this one requires specific player to player interaction which is a valid control.

4. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

You will just have people harvesting their friends over and over to get the resource. I think Death has to have a much larger cost for this to not be exploited or gamed.

zavb9lov likes this.
  5. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

As long as their friends soul resource spawns as frequently as say, logs or iron ore then it should be fine. It only affects PvP enchantments anyway so it's valuable to a very specific set of players.

I think one of the big issues here seems to be that people think this will be a valuable resource. It's just as valuable as a log is to a carpenter, or iron ore is to a smith. It's required for a specific type of crafting, but it doesn't mean it's the end all be all of that craft.

Souls could be a very cheap and common commodity.

6. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I like this idea, IF the souls disperse as part of the ripping process described in the Mega Post. As your soul is ripped from your body there is a small chance that fragments will float away and settle into the surroundings and into one of the normal resource nodes. Animals, rocks, reagents, trees....anything that can be gathered.

In a PvP zone if I harvest a mandrake root there will be a rare chance of finding soul essence. The same chance would apply to any resource gathered in a PvP area.

This would all but eliminate the ability to farm this rare resource on alternate accounts.

Having part of your soul settle in an animal or flower is more comforting than having it sucked out by the winner of a battle; at the same time it also makes sense on a medieval fantasy spiritual level and it would be hard to exploit.

I would make it useful to everyone...not just PvP. If you want to find it, buy it or go to a PvP zone.

7. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

;) I don't know why you would think that ripping part of your soul off would cause it to land in a comforting place! ;) I see your point, but maybe it would reside more in horrible things, like guts and bones and swampy, poisonous areas. It would be ripped after all, not gently and lovingly removed....

Once again though, I was suggesting this as an effort to supply PvP with a very specific resource that would be useable specifically by that play style and harvested by that play style. If everyone could get this stuff then it would do nothing to encourage PvP. I think that's also part of the goal. It might encourage folks to get into PvP to collect some souls for crafting when they normally wouldn't do it.

I do like your idea though.

8. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Kill trading can be mitigated somewhat. That doesn't worry me.

But the focus on killing individual players is all wrong. The focus should be on capturing, holding, and enhancing objectives. Whether you think of PvP as a sport or a war, it's most certainly not about how many people you can kill.

9. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I think we are on the same page as far as wanting a special resource(s) for PvP. I don't really care where it comes from as long as it's not exploitable. I know sometimes you may find resources on mobs in PvE (earth elemental holding iron ore...whatever) what concerns me with harvesting from other players is someone may try to exploit it.

Ideally it would come from the environment, I was just trying to place the surroundings with your idea. Your idea would make it very specifically something you could only obtain from winning a PvP fight and I like that (it's hard to imagine it wont be misused though).

Crafting and PvP are on separate skill trees so their may be PvP gatherers in the mix that would benefit from either winning battles or more likely finding rare resources specifically in the PvP zones. You don't have to fight to win this way, you can actually win by avoiding a fight and I think that is one of the most misunderstood elements of PvP.

If it doesn't make sense to have your idea used as a gathering skill then I would like to see your resource idea along with a few others implemented that will give something special to the PvP gathering type that likes to avoid confrontation by running for their lives and screaming :) Thrill seekers.

10. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

War is specifically about how many people you can kill.... PvP winning is quite often related directly to killing.

11. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

If you can eliminate most of the exploit factor with a timer or whatever means. Then the actual gathering element could be a PvP enchantment on a weapon that does the gathering. That way a special device would not have to be carried around.

You could have soul harvesting added on top of whatever other enchantments the weapon has.

12. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

I don't want to take my enemy's soul. I want to disarm them and force them to either craft a new weapon or support their local crafting and buy a new one.

War no matter the style is great for the crafting economy....at least it should be.

NRaas likes this.
  13. Robby

Robby Avatar

We could have an expert necromancer/tinker/alchemist put a toxic and deadly exploding gas inside of a person's head and turn it into a throwable bomb. Sure beats purple potions dont it?

Time Lord likes this.
  14. redfish

redfish Avatar

I don't really like the idea of PvP only gear anyway, plus I don't see how it will attract people to PvP if the gear can only be used in PvP.

Aside from that, they shouldn't introduce anything like this without role-playing consequences. In the real world, someone who stole the souls of others would be seen as a sort of dark, possibly corrupt person. You're making it sound entirely like a game with points you rack up. Well it is a game, but one that should have a little more depth than that.

15. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

What?? That isn't even remotely true anywhere. You'd love to have the enemy surrender without firing a shot.

acrylic_300 likes this.
  16. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Oh, I don't know. Not many lessons are learned if the enemy just gets off scott free. I personally agree with you, but the fact is that in war you have to 'break a few eggs' in order to ensure that you win.

I suppose you could tell me of a war where everyone surrendered all nice and easy? Even in Desert Shield/Storm when the Iraqi's were surrendering in droves we saw combat which resulted in enemy death and that war was considered a resounding success.

Your position is highly unrealistic and idealistic and I'm certain it's also some other 'istics' as well.

17. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

Did the British surrender to Gandhi? I'm not much of a history buff.

I was thinking he won by looting a grain of salt.

18. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Sorry. But you're just modeling a weird and sadistic game, which will no doubt lead the toxic play styles.

I'm sure you could play a chess game where you tried to kill all the pawns too...but it wouldn't be nearly as interesting.

I get that games have some small rewards for taking out a player...it's a way to give partial credit in a loss and it's an objective way to guess the difficulty of a fight. But I'd hate to see a game modeled around senseless killing. That's the opposite of what Ultima always stood for and I can't really think of any other games which simulate this either. The goal is always the territory and objective.

19. redfish

redfish Avatar

What type of lessons? You're talking about war out of context from the rest of life. If an army is too ruthless, the country could earn a more permanent enemy. You can't take politics out of war.

Within the context of an entrenched war, its true, you often have to challenge the resolve of the opposing army and weaken their morale. But there are a lot of ways that's done besides killing as many people as you can. Strategic victories, not death tolls.

20. smack

smack Avatar

I like this idea -- as long as it is not lore breaking. So if the lore supports it, then this sounds like fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.