1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

PVP & Death: Current Thinking Megapost

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

There is nothing preventing them from making it so you have that same effect. They can make it so you only see people who are flagged for pvp. There is no reason to setup separate servers for the way they have designed the adaptive multiplayer. It would defeat the purpose of their system of not requiring choosing servers or shards due to overcrowding or how you want to play. There is no need for a pvp, a no-pvp, an RP server like other games have because of this technology.

Time Lord, Ragnabrock and docdoom77 like this.
  2. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Only question that remains is will they make an option so I can play the way I want, im starting to have doubts but I still have faith and that is why I keep donating :) besides I love to gamble :p

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

3devious, Ragnabrock and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Depends on what you want, non consensual PvP is not an option. So if that is what you are asking for, no you will not. Open PvP and the ability to be at risk of being attack by other players that choose to be Open PvP, that's there for sure.

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  4. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Yeah I know whats there so far but I wish to see full loot drop (consensual, loot flags etc) or something way closer to it than what is now.

Lets clarify this one more time, I want full loot or something equally harsh because that kind of environment is the only one I have been able to get addicted to (for lack of a better word) I dont however wish to camp people to take all their stuff. It's more about my risk than theirs.

Ragnabrock and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  5. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Mistake, damn phone. :p

6. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

This is exactly why I too am in favor of a more diverse loot option...

Allow those that want full loot to set that... But the lowest setting applies, so if they PvP with someone who opted for partial loot, that's the way it will be. The thrill won't be less for it, since you as full-loot PvPer won't know that in advance...

7. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I remember back when Asheron's Call first was released, the death penalty (Vitae) had no cap. Each time you die you took a 5% stat reduction on death, reduced by gaining exp, and if you died often enough, you could be reduced to less than a level 1 character. Now that's harsh.

*edit: I made my suggestion on loot back on page 11. All we can do is wait for a responce at this point. (if you haven't gotten in your suggestions that is)

8. Ragnabrock

Ragnabrock Avatar

So far I have seen the following ideas for a more "full bodied" loot mechanic.

1. Loot flags, with the lowest option between the combatants being used.

2. Certain gear or certain enchantments on gear that can only be used when your PVP flag is on, and are always lootable.

3. Looting items takes a certain amount of uninterrupted time. The amount of time items take depend on type of gear.

4. Getting broken items as loot. Being able to use the broken items to craft new gear.

That's all I remember off the top of my head. Anybody want to weigh in on the pros and cons of each? Their personal feelings on what's best? Different ideas for loot mechanics? Possibly we could all rank the existing ideas from best to worst in our own opinions?

I would rank them accordingly myself.

1. Loot flags
    2. Separate Gear
    3. Looting taking uninterrupted time.
    4. Broken items.

docdoom77 and Hettar like this.
  9. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Yeah had seen your proposal and I like it quite a lot gives good since of realism.

"my" suggestion was loot flags (someone probably proposed it before me, I have read all posts but I'm almost senil :p) not sure wich of the two I'd like best tho, I'm leaning towards time because it's fresh. To decide for sure I would have to try it first. would love to try them all in beta.

Ragnabrock likes this.
  10. Akeashar

Akeashar Avatar

I have a few concerns with the timed looting concept, which has seemed to be the most popular, so I might as well spell them out at this point just so folks can mull over my concerns or dismiss them. ^^

1) We don't know yet how long a 'disconnect' yank back to your corpse at a weak point will be. I imagine it would be a few minutes so that you could do the 'as a ghost' interactions they've alluded to in the MegaPost, as well as allowing you to choose and run to a weak point / get resurrected. The looting times would have to be balanced with the disconnect timer because...

2) Doors. They've spoken about being able to 'shut in' ghosts by closing doors as ghosts would not be able to interact with them. Which could essentially lead to certain hexes, and situations, such as battles for castles where you could create a 'Corridor of Death' by having someone stealthed behind a door, waiting until your target(s) enter the corridor, then close the door behind them and launch the ambush. While I'm perfectly happy with the killing side of it, legitimate PvP tactic to attack block people in and lock them, then having their ghosts stuck in the corridor while their bodies are picked clean seems a bit much.

SOLUTION: idspispopd mode for ghosts so that they aren't trapped, or at least make interactive elements non-existant / visible in the ghost world. So that while you'd be able to see the shadows and forms of hallways, trees, hills and immovable parts of furniture, but doors and the like wouldn't be there so they'd be able to pass unblocked to the weak point, with perhaps an effect of their body stretching towards the weak point. (Some folks would be familiar with the stretching effect)

3) Reagents. This is where I break with some of the more common view regarding what should/shouldn't be lootable. Depending on the pricing / availability / rarity of regeants, by having all regeants get automatically taken or be more easily taken than armour or weapons you're essentially crippling one Avatar archetype (the Mage) by taking away their power to attack another, while another Avatar archetype (the Warrior) would likely just have at least a couple of backup weapons in case they lose a fight they can just keep on going with their backup.

SOLUTION: I'd be inclined to only let a certain percentage of regeants be looted if you choose the looting regeants option. It would allow a player to still be viable. This carries over to PvE as well so that if the random system chooses to take your regeants only some is taken and you're not completely crippled combatwise and unable to try and kill the mob to get your stuff back after res'ing.

They're three that I can think of off the top of my head. If a mixed timed/ransom system is implemented then gold should be immune to the looting, or just have the loot end with only it being grabbed since it would be what is used for the ransom system. In that case it could slowly count through the player's gold until they get reconnected, so if they get to their body fast you only get some of their gold. :D

docdoom77 likes this.
  11. Owain

Owain Avatar

That depends upon what you want.

12. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Taking away their power to attack might be just what I want to do, I'm planning to go something magey and for sure I will have backup reag bags.

However looting a bag realistically thinking would be the quickest but for this system to be fair I'd say it would have to be among the slower ones. Something to think about

13. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Someone posted that having the OPO the only version that the different equipment really matters and I can’t really agree with that. The game was originally pushed as a game that can easily allow players to move between versions of the game to suit the way they feel like playing at the time(well except for offline single player) so in that vein it wouldn’t be wise to make some parts only viable to one play mode or what you will have happening is exclusion of modes. Some people will play the game in probably just about every mode during their play through. Definitely think they should avoid anything that could change that dynamic.

Time Lord, Silent Strider and Umbrae like this.
  14. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Apolagize for the multiple posts, this forum does not do well with the internet connection I have off the ship I am on. I try to delete when i can and don't do it on purpose, wish you spent as much time on what i posted instead of another attack.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Ragnabrock

Ragnabrock Avatar

Ship? Civilian or Military? Can you be more specific about which post you were discussing with the opo gear. Also, would you also be more specific about how you don't like it, mechanics wise? I liked the idea of separate gear, but I am always willing to listen to another opinion. It's always good to work disagreements out calmly and respectfully. I always look at an opposing viewpoint as an opportunity to make an idea better through discussion. :)

Time Lord, Hettar and docdoom77 like this.
  16. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I'm thinking spaceship :)

17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Military ship, I'm on deployment hence why I am not in any of the recent tests.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I can’t do quotes right from here so I will have to do it manually. “I should have specified that I want OPO to be the only mode that has cheap PvP enabled PvE buffs or enchantments. I would like to play through SPO and then find the replay value in the OPO game. I think the critics will give rave reviews if PvP is a game changer in OPO instead of something that got added in for a PVP tag on the box. “ Actylic posted that. I might have read it wrong but I was stating just in general that all gear should be the same throughout, I’m not sure any gear should be different at all, never really understood why it would need to be to be honest.

19. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

Because if players are allowed to exploit PvP, the game may lose all the non-cheating players.

I for one, will not tolerate exploits or cheating.

Think of it as an ability, spell, buff, enchantment, attachment, or whatever. It has no business anywhere but OPO if it is PvP enabled.

20. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I’m not sure what you mean exactly, do you mean abilities that give you better abilities to PVP or just general buffs from magic and what not? I don’t think there should be a difference in PVP or PVE equipment, unless I’m missing something, they should operate the same way in either mode. I know they have talked about adding special PVP gear, but what would that entail? I mean a sword that does 5 fire damage to pve should do 5 fire damage in pvp(just a simple example obviously) and that same sword should be able to be found in any mode you play in. It wouldn’t be cheating, it would be playing the game. If that isn’t what you mean then please explain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.