1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

PVP & Death: Current Thinking Megapost

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ragnabrock

Ragnabrock Avatar

I was thinking that it would work thusly: You have a + whatever sword. This sword can be used in either PVP or PVE. You add an enchantment that improves your PVP skill set in some way. The sword is now only usable when you are flagged for PVP. The sword is now always a lootable item. This gives the PVP crowd better looting, and some special enchantments that make them happy. It also doesn't alienate the the nonPVP crowd because the special enchantments are useless outside of PVP. I like the idea, but I'm always willing to try improve an idea by listening to problems other people may have with it.

Crikey, Lord Baldrith, Mishri and 3 others like this.
  2. Akeashar

Akeashar Avatar

About the only issue I have with this concept, is the sword not being usable in PvE. I think it'd be acceptable to have it still being used in non-PvP situations but just lock out the PvP-specific enchant. Just a trigger flag based on whether PvP is active on the player affecting whether the enchant is currently active or not.

Otherwise, definitely like the way you've expressed the rest of the idea.

docdoom77 and Ragnabrock like this.
  3. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

For instance, PvP world events will not happen in FPO because it would be cheating.

What I'm saying is, "that's a good start, why stop there"? Give PvP players special PvE "perks" in OPO.

Give PvP players some choices for PvE that can only be used while "flagged" (for PvP) in OPO.

Evenly powered gear is the best for PvP. Give PvP players a way to compete at PvE without using uber gear against each other. A way that can't be exploited in FPO; a way that will not nerf something for PvP.

I have given my solution to gear disparity. I started out acknowledging that PvE-Only players wouldn't like it. I'm done explaining it.

I would be interested in hearing your solution rune_74 since you are pro progressive gear. I can find repeated quotes of you wanting uber gear than can never be looted.

4. Ragnabrock

Ragnabrock Avatar

I wanted to make it usable only in PVP because that would help balance the lootability with gear progression. If it is always lootable, and only usable in PVP, people are less likely to use their best gear this way. I can see why you might not want it that way, but I am stumped on any other way to balance gear progression and still have an enjoyable looting mechanic.

docdoom77 and Akeashar like this.
  5. PaCOatlanticBaja

PaCOatlanticBaja Avatar

Ok its been a few weeks since I posted.. as you remember after the pvp loot announcement me and my guild left the forum for archeages... we just wanted to know if anything new has come out since this post??

6. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I like that idea, but why would the sword be restricted to a PVP flag to use? Its property for PVP would just cancel out when you were PVEing in Friends Mode.

I had a similar idea pages back using drop-able as a crafting property. You could have a link PVP and drop-able properties so they always drop. The current rules are that ransom or item drop would happen in PVE too, and I prefer the idea of death and dropping being the same for the other modes as well. A drop-able property would handle that on both sides and allow for non-PVP items to drop in PVP as well.

Add to that all gold, raw resources and consumables and call it a wrap. :)

Ragnabrock likes this.
  7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Numerous posts wanting uber weapons that cannot ever be looted, really. I don’t think I ever said we should have uber weapons, but I guess this was another slight at me? I’m not sure seems rather weak. I guess if you are done expressing your opinions on it oh well. If I am wrong on this I apologize. I’m not about progressive weapons alah get to this level get a new sword, I am about having a variety. Can’t stress this enough. I have stated I want a good variety of magic weapons and items throughout the world. I like magic weapons, not WoW level of course, but think single player rpg levels like dragon age and neverwinter nights for instance. Now, Rganabrok I can see that working…I don’t see any issue in giving them a bonus on said weapon in pvp…I don’t think it should however give them an advantage fighting monsters since it will be abused by those that will flag themselves pvp and work as a group to get a leg up on taking out some monsters. I’m honestly all for both sides having a fair shot at everything. My earlier post was more about if a player plays sometime in each mode in his play through it would be nice not to have any restrictions.

Akeashar and Ragnabrock like this.
  8. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

For me PvE is "us" and PvP is also "us".

You are referring to PvP as "them" and trying to justify what to give to "them" and take from "them".

Owain likes this.
  9. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I think you are trying to read that in there, and you are wrong about how I see it, thanks.
    I think my whole last post was about us, as in everyone should have the same thing. Seems if you wanted special items for one group it would be more leaning the other way.

10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I don't think so...everyone has access to everything right now.

11. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

Every thing except the risk. How convenient!

The devs have acknowledged it...so let's not go off on a 50 page tangent of how it's not so.

Owain likes this.
  12. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Well as long as you are honest about wanting more given to people who PVP, since you know there is no “risk” otherwise, regardless of how silly an argument that is. It sure doesn’t sound like us and us there. This risk is a choice and a part of the thrill, or so it has been said many times. They have already said their will be more nodes in the PVP zone to “entice” players there. Highly condescending to say no risk by the way. I’m looking forward to being able to choose when I participate and checking out the volcanoes and meteor strikes.

Celestial Knight likes this.
  13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I must say reluctantly that I also think this way... I simply cannot stand any limitations on chaos from unexplained external forces. I rather have it hard and suffer being ganked cause I can't stand large guilds. Limitations in roleplay would automatically ensue for people that usually have good taste in choosing their battles, and I've seen plenty of chaos vs order roleplay go on to create even more complex guild diplomacy that made the game very spicy.

Forgive me Darkstarr to jump in like this but are you going to really let the iron throne be melted on your most fervent fan's heads ? I still hear no call for the missing companions ?

I quote :

According to an in-game book by Sherry the Mouse, Blackthorn supposedly invented Chaos after overhearing a conversation wherein it was revealed that Lord British, the King of Britannia, wished to get everyone to follow the Virtues, even though this would result in integration of the shards. Lord Blackthorn feared that integration would mean that the people living on each shard would be basically blinked out of existence. Therefore, he created Chaos to help insure that Virtue would literally never conquer all. As long as one person followed Chaos instead, the shards would never be integrated.

Please correct me if I'm wrong... but this is of upmost importance.

acrylic_300 likes this.
  14. August

August Avatar

I've not read this entire thread, only the first 20 pages and the last two... so I apologize if I'm rehashing anything.

May I suggest a bit of 'trickery' in regard to looting in PvP areas? While this game is many things to many people, it is also 'not real' and that allows for a bit of 'free lunching'.

Say that yours truly, a lowly prospecting fool, wants some resource in a PVP area and also likes a bit of excitment. While mining with my head up my arse, I get jumped and PK'd.

Mr. PK'er loots me, takes everything... but what s/he takes is not quite what it was any more. Armor doesn't fit him/her and is damaged but can be repaired and made to fit by a crafter. Weapons are also damaged and ill suited to his hand but useable with repairs and 'practice'. They are also 'stolen goods' so they're not going to fetch top dollar at a npc vendor until they're repaired and the serial number ground off. Any natural resources I was carrying, are now scattered around on the ground requiring Mr. Pk'er to pick it all up if s/he wants it.

Now here's the 'free lunch' available in an 'unreal' world. My corpse still has everything. It's all badly damaged and whatever I was collecting is now scattered about on the ground... but everything is still there even though the PK took everything. "Free lunch". The 'sting' of death is my gear is busted up and has to be repaired and I have to pick up whatever I was collecting and, perhaps, someone cut off my ear or some other bit I'm fond of.

If someone else has thought of this, my apologize for plagerizing.

15. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Does anyone here know what the heck any of this means? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! Explain this please.

Ragnabrock and Hettar like this.
  16. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

August I love that idea! I never even thought of something like that. Interesting way of giving them loot without taking a huge chunk from somebody else.

17. August

August Avatar

Thank you. I prefer 'realism' in games but at the same time... it doesn't have to be strictly real. In the above scenario, I wouldn't know any different nor would the pk'er.

Gold probably should not be 'doubled' in this manner otherwise I could say, "Rune, old bean, I have 100,000 gold. I'm going to carry it out to PVPville where you will kill me and 'poof!' we now have 200,000 gold".

Ragnabrock likes this.
  18. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Got to say I'm against your proposal august, nice out of the box thinking tho :) however I and many like me doesnt think the current prposal by the devs are harsh enough and this would make things worse imo.

Edit: A lot of this was explained in the pages between 20 to now
    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

19. August

August Avatar

Could my idea be modified in some way to make it 'harsh' enough?

20. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

I guess but then it would be just like an earlier proposal (looting scraps) wich to me didn't seem to attract too much followers

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.