1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

PVP & Death: Current Thinking Megapost

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Santa Clause

Santa Clause Avatar

Here is the idea I proposed a few pages ago but no one had any comments on it so I went back to my endless lurking:

What about taking Bowen's idea from way back in this thread (consumables can be looted) and Ristra's (looting takes time) and also add encumbrance?

So, you're wearing a set of full plate, you engage someone also wearing full plate in PVP and win. I would think you wouldn't be able to wear a full set of plate and then carry an entire second full set. So you have the option to swap yours for theirs (but their's is probably more beat up than yours since they lost the fight). This would also apply to large weapons like, say, a two-handed sword, or any full sized weapon - 1 sheath, can only carry 1 large weapon at a time.

If you're wearing a set of chain, you might want to swap for the busted up plate and head to town to get it repaired if you don't need to stay in a guild battle or whatever. At least the other guy can rez with some armor - chain in probably pretty decent shape.
    You would be able to rather quickly grab gauntlets, a helmet, maybe small daggers, arrows/bolts, gems, gold, reagents, potions etc. Anything larege would be a choice to swap and the person who lost would get those items you swapped out onto their corpse.

Time Lord and monxter like this.
  2. DarkSharrt

DarkSharrt Guest

I've never engaged in PVP before. Is it fun? I mean...I guess I just don't see the point. Isn't the point of video games to get *away* from people for a while?

3. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

Why yes! and I spit soda out my nose and all over my computer when I saw your avatar ....good one sir.

Edit: I spit a second time when I noticed the dark star emblem on the front of his under wear.

DarkSharrt, monxter and 3devious like this.
  4. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

You may be better served creating your own thread over in the PvP forum, so users can answer your inquiry without further derailing this thread. :)

The forum is over here if you are interested : https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?forums/pvp.39/

5. Ragnabrock

Ragnabrock Avatar

Ideas are great, I always want to hear new ideas. But why didn't you list anything? You went ahead and quoted my post so you know I was sincerely asking for people to list their opinion on all the ideas. I say again, if we don't let the devs know what is popular, how can we expect them to implement any change?

So, new list.

1. Loot flags, with the lowest option between the combatants being used.

2. Certain gear or certain enchantments on gear that can only be used when your PVP flag is on, and are always lootable.

3. Looting items takes a certain amount of uninterrupted time. The amount of time items take depend on type of gear.

4. Getting broken items as loot. Being able to use the broken items to craft new gear.

5. The "fee lunch" option. Victor gets a bunch of broken or damaged gear that needs to be repaired before becoming usable. The loser still has his stuff but it is all badly damaged.

6. Item exchange for worn gear. Consumables being fully lootable.

Please Please PLEASE everybody list your opinion from best to worst so we can get an idea of what is popular and unpopular.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  6. Santa Clause

Santa Clause Avatar

I like all of the options except for 5 because I think it's too easy to exploit.

I would probabby say my order would be: 6 (which essentially includes 3 and 4), 2, and then 1.

I think 1 is interesting but would probably start to aggravate a lot of the folks who have the full loot flag up.

Time Lord and Ragnabrock like this.
  7. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

8. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I also want to add that encumbrance has to apply for all of the options for me to vote for them and consumables should be looted in each. Coins should have weight too.

sent from the future using my Coleco Adam

Time Lord likes this.
  9. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Although I'm not completely opposed to player looting, that should really be the tiniest detail of PvP. So if we need to talk about this, we've likely screwed everything else up.

People simply don't go to war to loot each other. So the strategic angle makes no sense. You should be fighting over land and castles and such.

And the tactics are to exploit and play defensive. e.g. ganking and gate hopping. A huge, unkillable zerg of tanks and healers. Stealth classes who can choose targets and escape quickly.

If the looting of players is of trivial importance so that it doesn't really throw off the more important behavior, then I'm not set against it...but it also doesn't offer any value either and you would have been better off without it.

10. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

May as well throw in DEX time bonuses.

11. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

That's assuming everyone is team players. PvP should be for everyone not just guilds.

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  12. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

I think there are many players who wish to make PvP combat a viable 'playstyle' in the sense that it is economically feasible to do that and nothing else and not only support their character, but have it grow in wealth and items. They have said as much. Saying that they "go to war" is ignoring facts.

If the devs make looting other players a trivial thing, those PvP players, of which I believe there are many, will be unhappy and complain. Much like we have seen in this thread. While some players want lofty goals to combat over, it seems that is not the majority of the PvP base.

docdoom77 and Ragnabrock like this.
  13. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I'm not sure I fall in the PvP player base. I'll fight to defend myself or my harvest nodes and to protect a friend or two. Whoever I am fighting is in the way of my goal. I hope to get the opportunity to punish them for making me drop what I was doing to kick their butt. :evil

sent from the future using my Coleco Adam

Time Lord and acrylic_300 like this.
  14. Ragnabrock

Ragnabrock Avatar

You like to go to war, cool. You like big tactical battles, also cool. You don't see the value in changing the loot mechanic, awesome. Other people do, to some it is important. Some people aren't into the big guild battles and all that. To tell people that they are better off without a loot mechanic they like isn't so cool. You have a different opinion, I respect that. If the loot mechanic is so unimportant to you, why do you feel the need to tell people that they shouldn't worry about it? I see a lot of posts about the looting mechanic, so I am trying to get people to vote on it, and then maybe we can move on to the next change we would like to see enacted. Would you care to list the loot mechanics in order of what you like best to what you like least? Let's all work together to make progress so we can put this baby to bed and get everybody if not happy, then at least not to unhappy with the game. I am not trying to be rude or to undervalue your opinion, I just want to try to move forward and stop all the never ending circular arguments between people.

Bodhbh Dearg and Hettar like this.
  15. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

My vote would be to go with the developers original idea, as posted at the beginning of this mega post.

The more loot you can take away from the corpse of a defeated player, loot they worked hard to get, the more angry players will get and it will
    ruin pvp for all but the niche crowd. When you place incentives in pvp areas that pve players need, and they get rewarded for the effort by being fresh target to be ganked AND looted,
    you just set up the system to backfire.

16. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

@Ragnabrock:

I get the feeling you are attempting to "herd cats" within one of the most contentious threads on this forum.

I wish you the best of luck in that endeavor.

To answer your original inquiry :
    1. Why make this one more complicated by comparing looting flags across all combatants ? If Player A has the "Full Loot" flag enabled and dies, then allow them to be fully looted, regardless of what their opponents had set.
    2. Personally, I would prefer PvP enhanced gear to work in non-PvP circumstances. The logic is simply easier to follow, and would not require that one to run back to town to change your outfit based on your party leader's non-PvP status.
    3. This one is a fabulous idea, and I considered it a very good approach when Ristra originally outlined it. It certainly curtails mid-battle looting which I consider rather unrealistic.
    4. Sounds fine, one can rationalize it by saying the removal of the item off the corpse requires that you cut the fasteners and such, making the items unusable until repaired.
    5. As in brand new broken items ? I gather there is some way to make this non-exploitable, since I can see player-player item farming arising from that concept right quick.
    6. Does not really fit with the "affinity" system that was lauded by the devs a while back. Even if your items are damaged, the affinity you have with your own gear would probably exceed any benefit you get by replacing it with new less damaged gear.

Akeashar, docdoom77 and Ragnabrock like this.
  17. DarkSharrt

DarkSharrt Guest

Thank you sir. Chaos is hard to control. Sometimes it...slips.

acrylic_300 and monxter like this.
  18. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I on the other hand, gagged a little when I saw your avatar. I had to fight down vomit. I've seen much more disgusting things, but it was just so.... unexpected. Yuck.

NRaas and DarkSharrt like this.
  19. DarkSharrt

DarkSharrt Guest

Well, love it or hate it, I leave a trail it seems.

(I like your signature quote, btw)

docdoom77 likes this.
  20. smack

smack Avatar

I still propose that Full Loot simply be yet another flag that you set. If you're PvP and Full Loot, you can only attack other players or groups or guilds that are also PvP and Full Loot. Purely consensual, just as PvP is here. Over time, if not enough players set that flag, then it will be clear it was way too niche of a base.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.