Taxation and a direct tie to PvP...

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by dsmwookie, Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsmwookie

dsmwookie Avatar

I have been mulling over the options of how to balance open world, full loot, and PvE players who are weary of being harassed. Could a system be implemented that created a tax rate daily or weekly based on how many PKs are active on the server? An alternative would be player designated safe zones or increased guards, even out in the far reaches, but the players had to pay a high tax; maybe the distance could be connected to the amount of tax. This could be an hourly system. It could just expand the outer areas of town safe zones.

Another tie to the taxation system is possibly a salary based on the week for those willing to hunt PvPers. These people could also be tied to the protection detail that guards people and the city simply acts as a middleman. This would insure the benefit of getting paid for guarding a specific character during lame linear quests, except now we are guarding a player and making an earning for it. This is has the added benefit of getting paid and possibly receiving more bounty if you slay the PK'ers and full loot them.

Depending on the skill system it could even pair people together with opposing professions. This could increase the profitability of both and insure a future friendship or partnership.

Just an idea I was tossing around in my head.

2. Robby

Robby Avatar

This would be good, but its far from what is actually being done. =(
    But hey im sure this will still be a cool game.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I would rather have a house in a full PvP zone without taxes.

If 95% of the game wasn't already artificially safe then maybe taxes could have reflected how much safety was being provided. It still could be I guess on a PvE level. More dangerous mobs in low tax areas.

4. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Games such as Lineage2 allows the lord of a castle to set tax rates on the surrounding towns. So you could be benevolent and make no money or a tyrant and have everyone trying to get rid of you.

5. Trinidad

Trinidad Avatar

I hate taxes. I pay way more than my fair share in real life and play games like this as a distraction from how badly I'm getting looted and there is nothing I can do about it. The last thing I need is getting ripped off virtually. Taxes in MMOs usually are a badly implemented mechanic to stave off inflation. The idea being that no player actually gets the money, the money used to pay taxes exits the economy leaving less to circulate. There are better ways to achieve this objective.

As far as using money to reward hunting PKs you have to be very careful. UO had a bounty system and what often happened is a PK on another account, or his friend killed him and claimed the reward. Also, making life difficult on PKs actually made PKs try even harder and learned to live with artificial difficulties. What this did in UO was breed a legion of super PKs so that the skill level disparity was so great that it was virtually impossible to kill these guys.

6. Orladin

Orladin Avatar

Good times

7. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

Read my lips: No New Taxes!

Bonus if you remember who said that.

8. BlueEyedGator

BlueEyedGator Avatar

You do recall how that turned out, don't you? LOL ;)

Edit: forgot to add- ghwb

9. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

I expect the vast majority of those who don't want PKing will respond that A) this doesn't actually allow them to opt out completely, and B) why should they pay taxes to avoid a game feature they didn't want in the first place.

Think of it this way. Would you pay an actual dollar amount via credit card every time you killed someone, say, 20 bucks, regardless of who started it, why, where, or how, provided that this allowed you to have an open world with full loot? I'm pretty sure that's about how the people who adamantly dislike the existence of open world PvP will feel about paying an in game tax to avoid PKs.

cobran likes this.
  10. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

They'd just quit.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Yeah, pretty much.

12. Sir Ryan of Yew

Sir Ryan of Yew Avatar

Can someone explain to me why Open PVP is a good thing?

13. G Din

G Din Avatar

Its just the appeal of being able to do what you want without too much oversight. Some like the thrill of running into people and not knowing if they are friend or foe, others just like to grief the weak, some enjoy the challenge etc .

Really only works if its not forced onto people. Ideally you would need a 2nd server that contains a single ruleset for Open PvP.

14. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

"Open PvP" means different things to different people. I greatly dislike karma systems, but some faction / guild war system which allows you to play king of the hill anywhere has a lot of appeal. So you get fights over boss spawns, rare resources, objectives like castles, or simply choke points on your way to something larger. Killing players for the sake of killing players is just silly to me (as well as potentially toxic for the game) but gating content and the challenge presented by intelligent opponents is interesting.

BlueEyedGator and cobran like this.
  15. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

More than just interesting, it represents the epitome of challenge. In my experience no game AI developed thus far compares to the challenge provided by another strong PvP player.
    I personally don't get my rocks off griefing or ganking lowbies ( except if they're in an opposing guild or faction :p ).
    But put another equally skilled player against me and BY GOD - THE ADRENALINE RUSH! :D
    Add a looting mechanism for the victor and the stakes are even sweeter.

16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

So, if I'm reading your proposal correctly, those that wish to avoid PvP should pay a 'tax' for the privledge... Is that correct?

How does this differentiate substantially from an Organized Crime Ring Protection Racket?

Guido: Hey, youse... Mr. whateryoudoindare... Minin'? Sure would be Unfortunate if youse was to lose all dat pretty ore you been werkin' so hard to collect... Tells ya what you'se pay's Luigi 'n me a couple hundred gold piece... eh... let's call it a "Tax,"...an' well make sure nuffin' happens bad... Capiche?

No thanks.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.