Oculus Rift with SotA? Not anymore!! (Facebook bought it...)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jouten, Mar 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Lets see if they reward their backers with some of this windfall they have made.

What's most worrying is that candy crush firm is worth $7 billion.

Sunsanvil likes this.
  2. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Maybe we can get a Facebook cloak instead!

Jatvardur, rild, skinned and 2 others like this.
  3. tuchaka

tuchaka Avatar

Dunno where the assumption that zucky and co. are gonna wreck the product pretty sure they are counting on a return on what they payed for it.

4. Dadalama

Dadalama Avatar

Well, I don't know one way or the other what they are gonna do. I'm really not that worried. Even if they get choosy with who and what it can be used for there are other projects out there. But it is kind of an odd bedfellow really.

5. Dhimmi

Dhimmi Avatar

maybe FB wants its own google glasses?

6. selbie

selbie Avatar

Not sure how I feel about this. It could go very well, or be a total disaster. I just hope it means extra funding for Oculus and nothing more :)

7. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

I still feel that this is just a very very very realistic dream....please wake me up it's sooo scary :eek:. But if this will not be a dream than I am definitely finished with the oculus *sigh*.

8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"Many things disturb me about this product" Which brings up many questions in my mind...it makes my eyeballs sweat just from looking at it o_O

It looks like candy, it may taste like candy, but what type of candy truly is it? Is it simple tech candy that as long as you brush your teeth afterward it's then OK and tastes good to eat? Is it a cocaine laced candy that once tasted you can't then do without it? Or is it a candy that is laced with arsenic which will have massive bad, long term psychological, or eye sight side effects resulting in a very large product liability? Will it be a fun thing to have on my head for 8-12 hours a day? Will this be the new computer gaming thing that causes every other to go the way of the board game? Or will this give us, or a child using it permanent brain or eye damage in long term use?
    How close to the Matrix, do we really want to be? and once in that Matrix, how un-pleasant is the real world by comparison, and how will I treat the real world differently once I've become addicted?

Delayed Stress Syndrome? :confused: These are effects that can emerge "years later" and screw up your life emotions and actions... Yet we don't know if such effects will fill up the prison system or mental hospitals with "Rift Users"... but any future like that for anyone would really suck :(

Is this the new "Opti-Grab" that makes my eyes cross when I take them off?...
    I've just got allot of questions that can only be answered "in time" and not "by Time".
    I'm not saying that it's a bad or good product... I'd give'em a shot to see what they may have to offer me,
    But I wouldn't want to go swimming or drive my car to pick up the kids just after taking them off...
    *wipes the sweat from his eyeballs*
    It's not that big of a loss in my opinion...
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

9. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

Interresting thoughts Time Lord. Fortunatley it seems that I don't have to fear any of them ;).

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

That's exactly what I was thinking, too. They will sell the device at a high cost and then add ads to it to make even more money.

Lord Jouten likes this.
  11. Kheldras

Kheldras Avatar

If i would have backed it.. i would be furious to be traitored this way, damn sellouts.

But i have not, so i feel just sad.

You will probably need a FB-Account to use it in the future... but you can play Farmville on it, and consume adds.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. monxter

monxter Avatar

Sanctius, tekkamansoul and Time Lord like this.
  13. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

This is actually a very seminal point. Yes we all know that paying into a kickstarter never represents becoming an actual investor...from a legal standpoint, but people sure feel they are from an ethical one. It is only because of the tremendous success of the KS that Oculus rose to noteworthiness ...which in turn (apparently) made their business potential worth the 2B.

Are the KS investors owed a dime? Legally, no, but holy frig I'd feel slighted if I were one of them. In this litigious world we live in I wouldn't be surprised if the next bit of new we hear is something along these lines.

PS, I think VR is bs, but thats just me.

wagram and Time Lord like this.
  14. WhiteZero

WhiteZero Avatar

I'm disappointed by all the knee-jerk reactions the community has had to this news. No one outside of Facebook and Oculus have any clue what this really means. Oculus co-founder Palmer Luckey has been doing a lot of damage-control on Reddit about the news, I'd suggest you check a few of his comments: One, Two. The only thing we really know at this point is that Oculus just had a massive influx of venture capital to proceed with developing the Rift as a consumer product.

For a more rational reaction, check out Rev3Game's video.

tuchaka, Akeashar and Time Lord like this.
  15. selbie

selbie Avatar

This is where Notch completely misses the point of the business deal. Oculus Rift has WIDESPREAD applications across many industries - health, science, military, construction, education...not just games. Also he doesn't need to 'bring' Minecraft to Oculus, he just needs to develop support for the hardware just like any other peripheral >__>

WhiteZero likes this.
  16. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Yeah, I would hate to be in Oculus PR Department right now. The reason for the knee-jerk reaction is two fold:

1. A lot of people don't like Facebook: Even if the use it. Especially the younger generation who have basically abandoned it because now all their parents are there.

2. The OR was something touted to hard-core gamers. Facebook's contribution to gaming is the likes of Zynga and everything that's bad about the Free to Play market, which quickly transitioned to mobile gaming. Those don't jive.

So when people freakout that OR is going to go Facebook on people there is a real fear there. Facebook is not transparent about their data collection, and most people don't even realize you can pay them to get all someone's information including private messages. People tend to fear Google more because they are open about what they collect and do with it, but they actually allow you to opt out of all of it.

In the end if Facebook leaves them alone it might not be a big difference, but there will be user backlash and you will see smaller developer drop support like Minecraft did. Once the commercial gaming product is out, I am sure they will split OR into 2 companies with one focusing on non-gaming uses.

For me, this kills the product as I will not use something with this many sensors with a company with this kind of disrespect of privacy (http://www.businessinsider.com/emba...confirmed-by-zuckerberg-the-new-yorker-2010-9). I already have my phone rooted so a can firewall and proxy Facebook and others, and I never use Facebook in a browser. Don't even get me started on my PC browser precautions. :)

rild, Dhimmi, Lord Jouten and 2 others like this.
  17. WhiteZero

WhiteZero Avatar

As they have with whatsapp and instagram

18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Well "WhiteZero" it would seem that that is exactly what Oculus delivered for it's backers... "A Big White cringing face Zero" :(

Being that this is your very first post here on our forum, "Welcome to a more appreciative SotA!" :D

I'll even be the first to welcome you with' your very first "like" :) for being such a fitting avatar that fits the Oculus subject so well :confused:

I will also accept your referral to "WE" as you becoming a part of "WE" and look forward to many more comments here in the land of SotA.

"Or is this a part of that damage control you spoke of?"
    I know it must have been a shock for any young person to have had such a large check (enough $ to buy a B-2 Bomber) placed into their pocket, so any remorse that Oculus has, may be just due to the shock delay factor.... but "we" will see :)

Welcome to SotA WhiteZero ;)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

19. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

High five to that. I have our PC at home locked down so tight my wife gets pissed that half the sites she hit cant even display properly. LOL.

Dhimmi and Umbrae like this.
  20. selbie

selbie Avatar

I never knew a "welcome" required so much analysis here o_O.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.