Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

To: Lord British

Discussion in 'Release 4 Feedback' started by Gorric, Mar 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gorric

Gorric Avatar

To: Lord British

I have a few critiques about this game so far. However, I’m not a completely comfortable with what I’m about to say.

First off, I have a lot of experience with in the gaming community, I’m an artist, an idea man, who at one time use to give advice to lots of famous and popular artists, as part of my job. I have experience with Maya, 3D Max, Photoshop from 3.1 and up to the present, and many other programs. Including messing around with Unity.

I've worked with a lot of games in alpha and, still am.

First, I find this game boring, I haven’t seen anything in this game so far that compels me to want to play.
    Some of the artwork is weak and amateurish, most of the architecture is terrible and out of proportion. Which tells me you may need some more expert help in that department. The animation in the game needs work, and the crafting is so boring.

Something can seem good on paper or on story board. However when white boxed or gray boxed, don’t work out. You can’t stand by an idea hell or high water just because it’s yours, it ether works or it doesn’t. Fix it or change it.

I can see an epic fail coming here. If a game isn’t engaging and fun to play and, immersive.

Then it’s not a game, its work.

I could go on, I think you need larger or better team, or you should be listening to them.

Sorry

2. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

I hate to say that I agree.

Right now, the game feels like a UO 2 tech demo.

Caliya likes this.
  3. Sutekh

Sutekh Avatar

really? your trolling a PRE ALPHA game? what where you expecting? everything working to 110%? if you are so experienced as you claim then you should know what ALPHA release means. if you find it so "boring" then by all means leave. all i see is "wahwahwah this is boring wahwahwah i want fast paced action wahwahwah this is to slow"

SmokerKGB likes this.
  4. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

I don't necessarily agree fully with the OP, but I do think the game still needs a lot of work. It also needs a lot more time. It is supposed to release in what October? If that is true I just can't seem them addressing the many issues and getting the game out mostly bug free. I think they need another 6 months at least in addition to the time they already have. Of course delaying that much would make some people mad and give them some bad press. But I think releasing the game a buggy unpolished mess would be way worse.

gtesser and Tarsilion like this.
  5. Andri

Andri Avatar

This guy is only trying to voice his opinion. He's not trolling. Many of us put a lot of hope into this game, so I think we should at least be able to voice our concerns.

lShintal, Caliya, Tarsilion and 5 others like this.
  6. rild

rild Avatar

boo! thanks for listing your credentials though.

shallow and one-sided critiques such as this feel really amateurish and cursory. your writing style belies a chip-on-the-shoulder bias - i'm not sure exactly who you're criticizing, making digs at the entire team. this post oozes narcissism, addressing LB directly - perhaps you would feel more fulfilled contributing to the development process by working with the dev team as they continually ask for input and assistance.

i suppose you are entitled to your opinion, but i encourage you to recall the pre-alpha status of the game, and in the future, more specific observations would be helpful in understanding your experience.

disagree!

Aegis159, Retro, rune_74 and 4 others like this.
  7. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

A lot of hope and for some ALOT of money.

Tarsilion, Gunga Din [PAX] and Arkhan like this.
  8. Andri

Andri Avatar

True

9. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

Keep in mind, the fact we're still in pre-alpha as we rapidly enter April is not a good sign. Especially with the bare-bones feel of the game currently.

There is a lot to cover in the next 6 months if October is actually going to be the release.

What was said is not out of line with what others are saying in posts peppered through this forum.

Considering that this game was touted as the new "Lord British Presents...", etc. I don't see anything wrong with directly addressing the guy with the ultimatum about the ultimate RPG to follow up Ultima.

Tarsilion likes this.
  10. rild

rild Avatar

Yeah, but is it helpful? It's like complaining to the counter guy about McDonald's beef. Well, kinda the opposite, but equally unhelpful. This forum provides all kind of opportunities to provide criticism in a place that will be listened to, and in a format that can be used by the devs.

I realize that Gorrin may have just purchased the game and played for the first time, and just wanted to provide his initial impression, but you can't jump in and speak with authority on a subject you are less than familiar with. I'm not trying to discourage feedback, I just think it should be as constructive as we can make it. What makes crafting fun in other games? Do you prefer a different graphic style, are you looking for big-budget animation and voice-over, or are you seriously saying the art is terrible?

I invite Gorrin to participate further in the development process on these forums. I have found it to be a very fulfilling activity, even when I don't get what I want. It also helps you to understand why Portalarium makes the decisions they do.

Margard, Aegis159, Cir and 3 others like this.
  11. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

You realize that maybe ASKING for details / elaboration instead of complaining about his input would've been helpful, right?

If you need something, ask. Don't just be like OH NO YOUR FEEDBACK IS NOT DONE HOW I THINK IT SHOULD BE and pepper it with a condescending tone.

That's not helpful either, really. If he wants to jump in and give his honest opinion, who cares? He's allowed to.

As if Lord British can't take some harsh criticism. He made Ultima VIII.

rild, lShintal, Caliya and 1 other person like this.
  12. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

I think they are on the right track but a release date of this year seems unrealistic to me, I don't mind waiting another year for a more polished product, But then the technology will have moved on a pace which will create more work, I think they do need a bigger team but that will cost, But now they have a solid ground to show off their ideas and with RG's history I am sure it would not be that hard to get a big backer, But then RG does not want to lose control to another EA, Catch 22.

Eriador and NRaas like this.
  13. Sargon

Sargon Avatar

I don't disagree with everything you said, but I think you would be hard pressed to find a pre-alpha game that is not boring. It is the nature of something in a pre-alpha state that it is feature incomplete and a very limited experience. Take Star Citizen as another example. I have a lot invested in that project as well, but for me, walking around the hangar module is like watching paint dry.

With that said, I agree with Kaisa that October seems much to soon for release, as there is still a huge leap that needs to be taken from the current game to something that is ready for prime time. While a substantial delay may upset some people, the flexibility to make those tough decisions is one of the benefits of crowd-funding. If the game isn't ready by October, and I don't see how it possibly could be, then Portalarium should not be afraid to push the release back to give themselves a better chance at success.

gtesser and Arkhan like this.
  14. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Actually it would be more like complaining to the CEO of mcdonalds, LB is hardly a worker Bee.

I have to agree with a lot of his opinions. I'm no expert, thats for darn sure. But so far I have enjoyed landmarks pre-alpha a heckofalot more. I love what they did with mining and quarrying not to mention actually building out my claim. Forestry is a bit of a challenge.

I'm not giving up on SOTA as it has a LONG way to go. But I've had major issues with character customization ever since they did "character customization+" and then have completely ignored it since. I mean, only humans, you darn well be able to make a unique looking character.

15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

If they push the release back I would like to know right now, cause I would make my payment plan a little lighter, I sacrificed alot to be part of this project, because I have faith in Portalarium I do not have any expectations exept fairness.

Up until now it dosen't feel very fair... and there is way too much ressources put on graphics and monetizing...

I mean I would have played this game even if it had Ultima 4 graphics... and hey I do like the graphics in SotA I'm just saying... gameplay over graphics, everytime.

Also people have been strangely anti-social and unhelpful. Only Lum and Korvash actually replied to me... once... the rest simply ignored me it felt terrible asking for the direction to owl head for 3 hours and finally never getting one person to reveal where it was, no mini map ?

Is there a map of the NPC locations and shopkeepers somewhere on the website ?

16. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

Right now I feel like too much time was blown on housing, when that should have been a secondary thing. I myself would've been fine having inactive, unusable lots.

Right now I feel like the final released game is going to feel a bit like the fake town in Blazing Saddles.

Phalanxx and Caliya like this.
  17. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I agree with you, Dude (OPer) it's pre-alpha, nothing is finished yet...

I personally have been having a Blast, crafting, adventuring, killing things, dying over and over.

I don't understand what "standard" the OPers wants/expects at this stage in development, but it's only his loss...

Culaan McEnright, Sutekh and NRaas like this.
  18. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

Not everyone is as overly enthusiastic as you about doing repetitive things over and over that don't really amount to anything and are going to be deleted in a few days only for you to do it all over again next release...

The portions of this game that aren't "work" are indeed pretty empty right now. I only played for 20ish minutes before I logged off because I felt I'd seen all that R4 was offering me.

Not much to see, and hard to get amped up as a result.

Caliya and Kaisa like this.
  19. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

I think the same. They need much more thatn 6 months of work. And I dont care if they game come late, I preffer a better worked game.

Miganarchine and Tarsilion like this.
  20. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

And im sorry but when did the success of a rpg revolve around housing and the need to craft? Finding a companion with a house (sentri, iolo, spark), finding a galleon for storage and travel and making it your own was a great concept as was having meaningful npc's selling meaningful items instead of spending hours grinnding at a crafting station. Sigh, i hope this game dosent become another blank slate

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.