Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Village Setting

Discussion in 'Release 4 Feedback' started by UnseenDragon, Mar 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

I'm not sure how this could possibly be addressed, but something I found odd when entering the wilderness village of Breamer - it does not look like a village when each of the village lots has a stone Knights house or Tower home. I realize in the final game not everyone will have those, but it really is hard to keep a village looking like a village when there are massive stone structures all over.

2. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I think you've likely answered your own question if, in the real game, the lots have different housing on them. Perhaps they're just trying out the bigger lots for this test and the actual lots will be smaller?

3. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

There have been a lot of discussions about having building styles reflect local conditions. So you'd have tree cities, mud cities, stone cities, or whatever. It feels like they've made too many promises at this point though and I think people want to put anything anywhere.

Eriador likes this.
  4. Curt

Curt Avatar

To get more local style they could replace some of the lots with NPC housing that helps set the mood for the village.

Should they make a village with a 'yellow brick road'? that would make it easy for you to describe where you live in a village.

5. BlueEyedGator

BlueEyedGator Avatar

I thought it looked a little odd also. The reality though is this IS going to happen to some degree. Knights have village lots so that's where we are going to have to put them. Hopefully we will be able to spread them out enough so that remote villages don't have a "Knights Row." Ruins the quaintness of the villages.

6. Amaranthus

Amaranthus Avatar

Actually, I think it would have been better if houses were already placed on the lots. It would be true real estate. Like what you see? Buy it! That would also mean that lots could be somewhat differently shaped and such. But the system that is now will remain of course.

That way, you should be able to at any time click on someone's house sign and make an offer for their property too. Just make sure there are two or three confirmation windows when you click to sell your house to a bidder.

7. DimwitTheWise

DimwitTheWise Avatar

I actually like the idea of a Knights Row here or there. Why cant a Knight want a remote, out of the way, quaint, rustic wood village surrounding to retire to?

8. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

It is sort of amusing. They went with the current model of placing houses within fixed settlements (a good idea) to get away from UO style urban sprawl. But it seems they won't be able to avoid the other ugly UO housing problem where you have a cluster of several keeps right next to each other. And this will happen to a certain degree because eventually many people will probably want to upgrade to the largest structure they can. Hopefully there will be enough variety that it won't be too huge an aesthetic issue.

On the other hand though if there are a lot of settlements like that one south-west of Owls Head in R4 you'll probably never see most of them as there is absolutely no reason to visit unless you or a friend owns a house there. This also makes me wonder how they will handle such places in single player offline too. A village on the map consisting of only player housing doesn't really have any relevance to a player in SP offline.

It will be interesting to see how they deal with all those issues.

Sean Silverfoot and Winfield like this.
  9. BlueEyedGator

BlueEyedGator Avatar

Agreed Dimwit. I actually found a beautiful spot in the forest with colorful wild flowers all over the lot. Just my kind of place. I just meant if there's 20 other Knights' houses in the same spot, the appearance of them may seem overwhelming, imho. :) Either way, I was just pointing out that there are definitely going to be larger homes in the villages although some people don't seem to care for or want it.

10. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I think an alternating Founder and Benefactor Knights Row would look awesome!!

Time Lord and BlueEyedGator like this.
  11. DimwitTheWise

DimwitTheWise Avatar

Personally, I find the overabundance of fences far more offensive to my eyes than larger structures. I do get the concern ideas, I just think there are other ways to solve them (ability to not have a fence and maybe choose different options for it). If all the fences went away, for example, I think the look would be much improved even with larger lots/homes.

Winfield, Amaranthus and O`Sullivan like this.
  12. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

+1 for optional lot fencing.

Winfield and Akro like this.
  13. DimwitTheWise

DimwitTheWise Avatar

Once again, I think having a "kit" to be able to build fences (or choose not to) would be great. Then having craftable placeable sections one could add, farmland, trickle of water or stream (especially if near pre-existing one, possibly a half pond that your neighbor could choose to add their half, maybe even tall hedges and vines to block an unfavored neighbor. So many options, if what we are given (after we choose a lot) is the option to decorate.

Hazard likes this.
  14. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

I think having a knight lot or two in a town makes sense for the reason you say. However, when 10-12 are in a row it makes it look like McMansion row.

15. DimwitTheWise

DimwitTheWise Avatar

But you'd know that row would be well McDefended!

16. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

+1 for optional lot fencing

17. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

I like the idea of optional lot fencing too! I'm not sure why we really need the fences anyway - unless we are keeping animals inside our properties, or people want to keep people from cutting through the back yard too much. I know the fences outline the lot size, but that could be done with a toggle showing a border (like the P key generating beams of light used to show which houses are for sale).

Time Lord and Hazard like this.
  18. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

Maybe they'd keep people from treading over whatever property-grown crops that will hopefully be forthcoming, although I'd imagine you could make smaller enclosures for those that wouldn't need to encompass the entirety of the property.

19. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

In the start will be a good amount of pledger houses, but with the time (I hope) they will be exceptional and you will not see not that many stone keeps and lord houses everywere but more "normal" houses.

+1 optional fencing. ;)

20. Aegis159

Aegis159 Avatar

We've brought this up in several Releases now, and the dev plan is to go to more realistic way of marking lots with corner markers. WHEN it actually gets done though they haven't said. I hope it's not one of the things that gets forgotten about. I also brought up that fencing should be something we can add to any of the lots, no matter what type it is. It's another nice way of creating a money sink for the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.