Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

To: Lord British

Discussion in 'Release 4 Feedback' started by Gorric, Mar 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

He should definitely be listening to them.

2. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

You mean that the person he addressed, Lord British, is the equivalent of the counter guy at McDonald's? :D

3. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Agreed. But this LONG is what has me concerned. I mean, we're still in pre-Alpha, and it's been since December. We have 7-ish months to go and expect a polished game by then. It hasn't even hit beta. Many games are in beta 9 months or more.

Miganarchine and Death-Knell like this.
  4. Malchor

Malchor Avatar

I agree that there is still a tremendous amount of potential here -- we are only in pre-alpha. The technical issues (such as graphics, chats, etc...) will surely be resolved. My fear is with some of the conceptual choices, such as the TERRIBLE inter-town travel system and the emphasis on over-complicated crafting. The basic formula for the game should be in line with its Ultima predecessors -- a non-linear plot and a non-linear, detailed world where most items are usable and we are free to move about anywhere, anytime. Do not sacrifice the creation of a world in order to add unnecessarily crafting rules and reagents -- I already have a full time job and won't play a game that becomes a chore!

Phalanxx and Arkhan like this.
  5. rild

rild Avatar

Okay, so I got up on the wrong side of the bed today. I apologize for my inflammatory rhetoric.

What I should have said was:

Thanks for your feedback, Gorric. Welcome to our community!
    I see this is your first post, did you just buy the game and play for the first time?

-How much background information did you have before you played?
    -Can you share any specifics about what artwork you don't care for?
    -What is about crafting that bores you most?
    -Do you have any suggestions on how we could improve it?
    -What games have crafting systems that you find interesting and entertaining?

Also, sorry for getting your name wrong. Please excuse my lack of decorum.

Margard likes this.
  6. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

RG as his own cash to put in if he believes in the game. If he is not heavily investing in the project why would anyone else risk their money.
    With the ideas to raise cash since kickstarter ended being an add on shop selling limited land deeds and houses. Then selling out the kickstarter backers Pledges for a fencing match.

Kaisa and Caliya like this.
  7. Andri

Andri Avatar

8. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Well, what we are seeing and what is actually done so far should be two entirely different beasts. They won't release everything to us they have done in house. It just doesn't work that way. I think many things we see as unfinished area heckuva lot more completed then this. Do you honestly think every buggy thing out there is released to us to test? Everything we get is exactly what they want to put out. Does that mean it is finished? No, it means they want feed back on it.

I also think a state of the union message from LB is required. And not just to the DEV+ people.

Time Lord, Aegis159 and Cir like this.
  9. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

Actually it was released to all. I'm not DEV+ and I saw it live.

Edit: I just checked and the video is posted on the main SoTA page.

10. Aegis159

Aegis159 Avatar

See, what you said, right there in your post is the root of the problem. People seem to think that this should be a playable, fun game.... It's NOT! It has a long way to go before that happens. This is PRE-ALPHA. Not an open Beta. We haven't even seen how combat will really work yet, let alone test it. Same thing goes with the map feature that everyone is all bent out of shape about. They implemented it in this build simply to give us a sliver of an idea as to how we'll travel the world. It's no where near done, and yet people are ridiculously upset about it because they changed the way a prototype looked, even though Starr himself made a point of saying it's not anywhere near finished.
    This isn't supposed to be a huge mound of fun yet.

Khloec, SmokerKGB and Margard like this.
  11. mike11

mike11 Avatar

I am repeating my opinion from other threads but I agree with you that the game has some very real weakspot's.

In some cases I think some drastic measures might be needed - I wouldn't consider it a bad thing at all given that there needs to be a real game foundation completed with multi-player FIRST before focus on finishing finer details like animations/AI/NPC/CRAFTING etc..

I consider it to be real feedback for them to ponder about if this game can really make it and in what way is required for it be a fun game to play.

12. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

No actually, I know it's not a beta nor fully developed. It's obvious it's not even close.

But if I can't even stay logged on for longer than 10 minutes at a time, it's not even possible to explore the world. Multiplayer is absolutely unplayable to me still. I can't stay logged in longer than 5 minutes. Even if I just stand there and do NOTHING. Nothing is triggering it. It's an issue with CPUs and graphics cards. I can run ESO just perfectly, and I have a newer PC with great graphics card, CPU and memory. It's not me.

The level of frustration is high for many people for those kind of simple issues. Then when other things aren't to a person's liking, it adds up. You have too many marks against something, whether it's pre-alpha or not, it makes an impression that will last.

They want feedback, and everyone is giving it. Whether a person likes the feedback or not is another issue.

To me, the stability issues are big hurdles. Game concept is something else people consider. Graphics is sometimes last for some people, and sometimes first for others.

The game is piling up too many issues that I'm not willing to deal with. So I just give up trying to log into the game to explore. It's no fun staring at loading screens for hours.

13. Aegis159

Aegis159 Avatar

I understand that aspect, I have a post in the bug forums addressing my issue with getting this build to run... hard and soft crashes like I was experiencing are never a good thing on anyone's system. I know one of my issues is the multi-core vs. multi-threading. However this kind of stuff, hardware/software related conflicts, are extremely difficult to hammer out, especially considering how far this game still has to go. Hell, I still can't run Sleeping Dogs without having it give me a BSoD after about 5 minutes... and that game has been "gold" for a long time now.

14. Margard

Margard Avatar

I've only had two crashes ... and one of those was when I was pressed the quit game button ... and these crashes came after the 2 new patches

I found the game to run much more smoothly and load up faster, than the last tests

I'm on a laptop ... attached to a monitor ... game runs, but I would like the loading to take even less time ... not that I mind the wait now, but I say that the least amount of time spent between scenes the better.

After reading all of the comments on this page ... I think folks need to exercise patience ... instead of reposting the same message over and over and over

I think the dev's get it - some of you want better looking graphics - and some of you don't like the art direction of the overland map

No need to be insulting, dismissive, passive aggressive and/or rude

Culaan McEnright and Khloec like this.
  15. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

Right, but you can kind of see the direction some of the stuff is going, and it may not go over well with some people.

They have ~6 months before the actual target release date, and this is what we're seeing so far. I think that is what has people worried.

Tarsilion, Caliya and Kaisa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.