Riding / Mounts early on

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Araminus, Dec 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

A designated squashing zone sounds good to me. :)

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  2. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Dragon Mounts should be held back for a later episode, but I really want mounts in general. And I imagine variations of different looking mounts could drive revenue in the add on store.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. lemonkey

lemonkey Avatar

If there are tesla towers I want a helicopter.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I want to fight in the air, I want to fight in the sea, I want to fight on the ground. I want mounts everywhere. I want mounted combat in all the colors of the spectrum. I want a rainbow of death.

Time Lord and acrylic_300 like this.
  5. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

Convert one of the wind turbines from the hills. ;)

Time Lord and lemonkey like this.
  6. Tommyguns

Tommyguns Avatar

I think UO had it right with the mount/pet system they had. One thing i always disliked in WOW and other mmo's was the mounts, how they could just appear out of thin air. I remember playing UO and people cared about their mounts. When your mount is able to be killed it tends to make you think more about what your doing.

majoria70, Mishri and Time Lord like this.
  7. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

They have to give us ostriches we can joust on at some point.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

A system that allows players to control the breeding would be more sandbox style. Average mounts could be found, but exceptional mounts could only be created through selective breeding.

A game that out sandboxes its predecessors might generate more revenue than the online store. I prefer my spending to be over with when I purchase a game but if they need to sell stuff to keep the servers running that's cool, as long as it doesn't destroy the games integrity.

9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

So, you think it's going to take us all only the time it takes to get to Public Release #1 to Public Release #2 to be able to train a very large reptile?

I was actually hoping that it would take a bit longer, as we are talking about the difference between training a horse as being the same as a creature that wants to bite your head off as if you're a bag of potato chips o_O

This just makes me wonder;
    If we are thinking about the subject with our Ultima Online brains, where GM skills come easy and top out fast.
    Or are we looking forward to those fast learned skills, that made running around killing everything so easy. <--- shameless redundant from the first question*
    Are we saying we all want to become dragon mounted mages and bards that deal with the same. <---also redundant but more carefully concealed*
    Or are we saying that we all will want horses, as if there were stables full of them for everyone. <--- much more believably redundant but now qua-redundant*

Which brings me to my final ponderous inquiry and back round to the first;
    Are we inadvertently recreating the mistakes of Ultima Online.
    Or are our brains now stuck, in using such UO skills trained logic...

Are we now the trained pets who think that they're thinking?
    It's a Honest Asked Wonder o_O
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

10. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Shades of FF7, but it would be cool. We could even have mount racing, where you could train and test your mounts (against other players instead of a cheating NPC Black Chocobo??!), maybe something like 80% of the combined entry fees goes to the winner? A gold sink, an in game competition for in game money, which would be a nice diversion from the main story but would also be of benefit to the main story, as a champion racing mount WOULD get you through the game faster? (not to mention it's application as a combat pet...) We could also have pet arenas, where YOU don't get to fight, but you field your favorite combat pets in non-lethal bouts to train them up... gotta chatch 'em all?

It could be a significant and entertaining subset of the game, and I have to say, if you play a game like this long enough, and reach any kind of effective cap on character growth (even if it's just the soft cap of endgame slowdown, or the phantom cap of having done ALL the current content and waiting for the next release package), mini-games can provide a crucial pressure release valve that keeps the population entertained. If it ALSO provides bonuses leading back to main character and story, such that, when the soft/phantom cap is raised and I can proceed, my character actually feels some benefit from all that time I spent in the racetrack/arena...

All in all I'd say it's a worthwhile set of concepts to pursue.

acrylic_300 and Time Lord like this.
  11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    MalakBrightpalm

There's a man that's thinking within the brave new world of SotA!
    But now just look at what it took him to rid himself from all of his UO corrupted thinking :(
    Someone get that man a Red Bull so he keeps talking to us o_O

Father Guido Sarducci and Jambo like this.
  12. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

o_O Amusing.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

My favorite breeding system is Dragon Quest monsters. I'd like to see something like that implemented.

No mounts, no breeding system at launch for episode 1... I think they want to try to get mounts in before episode 2 though.. I guess we'll see what we get. By Episode 3 launch I think we'll see most of the systems we've been asking for. I don't even know how they'll have time to squeeze in the remaining systems we are expecting for launch.. very tight schedule.

I enjoyed mounts in UO, they were interesting, useful(nightmare), felt real. I don't like mounts in any other game I've ever played. Might as well be magic running boots for the depth they add.

MalakBrightpalm and Time Lord like this.
  14. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

I've only seen one mount set that I actually LIKED, which I felt added something to the character other than speed. That was the WoW DRUID's formshifting. They weren't as powerful as premium purchased mounts, they lagged a little behind. They weren't able to benefit from things like the carrot on a stick trinket that granted extra speed. They were limited in every way that mounts were limited, with the exception that they were the CHARACTER making the change, and benefited from the passive formshift bonus.

This meant, amongst other things, that I could break an immobilization by shifting out of those forms, and they rendered me immune to polymorphs. I felt like my flight form was every so slightly extra cool, and my ability to transform into flight form while falling to my death (and out of combat) was entertaining and cool.

Naturally, the new Blizzard team nerfed each and every one of those advantages, so that druid formshifts became PRECISELY as boring and uninteresting as every other mount in the game. They still made slightly more sense, as there was no need to explain where my mount CAME FROM (magickal bag of barnyard animals? Extradimensional portal only usable by NPC species?).

If SotA's mounts not only had a good rationale for where they came from, where they went, and what happened to them when I wasn't riding them, but were able to give individualized benefits that fit with that rationale, and had to actually obey certain laws pertaining to their nature, instead of just being magickal boots of running/flying with a pretty graphic... that would be very cool.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I was thinking of manure piles :( and maybe using them as fertilizer... I'm so out of my depth here...

But maybe there's a way so that these mounts could have such a place to go? Too overpopulated maybe? That's why I was thinking that if you had to keep your own mount, then even if you lived in some gypsy tent, that this could be where you would have to keep them. If your dragon didn't like your neighbors, that may cause some problems. But he's tame right? So what if he doesn't get grumpy when he's not fed or never dies of starvation, those things are less of an immersion to me than keeping my animal where I live, or tied up outside the Inn where I'm staying. This gives rise to horse thief's, "which is a good thing"! Because the first real form of theft, has always been your car or your horse (aka your mount). It's natural and we have to find meaningful realistic ways of adapting our world into something they too can live in and do what they do, in a realistic fashion. In this way, just as it was in the western days of the USA, to stable your horse was a very pricy option, with limited space.
    What do you ask or pay a newby or a kid on the street for, "watch the horses, we'll be right back". :cool:
    "Think About It" o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.