One account, one character. Are you cool with that?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Canterbury, Apr 11, 2014.

?

One account, one character. Are you cool with that?

Poll closed Apr 18, 2014.
  1. Yes

78.4%
  2. No

13.8%
  3. Unsure

7.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

SotA is one account, one character. Given some of the questions I see people ask about the game, it's clear that a lot of people dived straight in and bought a package without realising a number of things and I'd wager good money that, "one account, one character" is one of them.

So, the question begs, whether you knew that or not, are you cool with the concept?

Personally, I think it's awesome; I think it's super ballsy. In an era where MMORPGs are about character slots, character slots and more character slots, to go against the grain and hammer home to players that this is a different kind of game where you have one character is awesome.

Over to you.

Jivalax Azon, Sid, lemonkey and 2 others like this.
  2. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I like the idea of a commitment to a character. Add to that those that want to dual box or play multiple characters have to further fund the game by getting another account. So there is the intention to focus, but a reasonable way to diversify if you want too.

3. Mitch [MGT]

Mitch [MGT] Avatar

I've been around since early Kickstarter and they were VERY clear about that from the get go so I'm not only "cool with it" I'm excited for it. If people REALLY want to have an alt then they'll have to have 2 accounts, simple.

4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Yes I am cool with that. As I plan to play SotA the single player way I only need one character.

Jivalax Azon and docdoom77 like this.
  5. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

It's not *really* one character, though. That's sort of the idea behind decks, from what I gathered out of the Combat, Skills, and Magic Deep Dive. It seems to me that decks will be used sort of like "specializations" in other games, only you don't have to visit a town or trainer to switch. This sort of makes sense, seeing as they made it quite clear that their deck system should eliminate the problem of "not having a healer" and such because most everyone should have access to some healing skills. It also makes sense in that we've been told the current thinking is to keep crafting skill leveling (or crafting decks) independent of combat skill leveling (combat decks).

This is of course speculation until we see how decks really work in R6, but the main point is that backers now should realize we're backing a model, not a product. When we see how things are really implemented, we can give relevant feedback (and it stands a chance of actually being changed), but since we don't really know how things are implemented yet, there's not much point starting a fuss.

Jivalax Azon and Time Lord like this.
  6. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I was not aware of it when I backed the KS on day one.

I'm not happy with the decision, but I want to see RG and crew make a new game. I've upped my pledge after learning about this decision. So even while I don't care for it, I'm still excited about the game on the whole.

7. fumblefingers

fumblefingers Avatar

Yes it rather cool actually, don't have to lvl up all different characters . Also kinda nice to get to know people as they are,always hated to find out the person you thought was awesome, turns out to be a jerk with there other 7 characters lol. Other then the fact i'm still on the fence about playing as a woman, It still makes me sick to look at that female avatar as they are now.Yes i know its a game, and some say they look just fine. But to me, i still want to look good when i leave the house . Or give me the opt. to make a short fat woman , with a beard and long hair , i'll be a dwarf .

Time Lord, majoria70 and OrionSnake like this.
  8. Curt

Curt Avatar

Could possible have more than one char in offline mode, so when a friend visit you can let them make a char and look around a bit in offline mode.

9. enderandrew

They've said one character in either mode, but I don't know how they can police or enforce that in offline mode.

I'm sure you could manually move your save folder and swap it around for multiple offline characters if you wanted, so they should just lift the restriction in offline mode, period.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

11. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

I do sometimes wish we were getting more then one character slot. However I do think that only one char will be good for the game. Your actions will matter more then if you had a bunch of other characters on your account you could change to. That being said some people will have multiple accounts so allowing only one character slot won't prevent everyone from having multiple characters. But a lot of people won't be able to or won't want to buy multiple copies of the game for multiple accounts.

12. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

It could work. Lineage, for example, was such an impossibly hard grind that you really didn't make alts. But you did have subclasses, so the same character could get reconfigured for vastly different roles. (SotA could accomplish the same thing by ditching skill caps and limiting people's builds instead.)

If there are multiple characters, I'm still happy to see them as different aspects of the same player. (This is where the notion of "Avatar" comes from. The same god is taking the most appropriate form.) So I'd still be "me." I just happen to me taking the form of a mouse atm.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Heh, what makes you think the player is the Avatar?

Time Lord likes this.
  14. enderandrew

There are multiple Avatars in NB, but they are still called Avatars.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

What is NB?

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

I'm fine with it. If I wanted/needed another toon I'd just buy another account.

Time Lord and Sir Stile Teckel like this.
  17. enderandrew

New Brittannia.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

New Brittania

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

There can be only one!

Milzer78 likes this.
  20. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Oh, right. The word Avatar in the title could refer to something other than the player character though. Maybe whatever crisis is unfolding in the world relates to a mysterious avatar of a kind. We don't know. But Garriott has made it pretty clear that he wants player characters to never reach a more-than-human point, like the godly powers most RPGs let you achieve. I don't think each player being a manifestation of a god is really what they're going for here.

Time Lord and Numa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.