Dont forget about RARES! RARES! RARES!

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Ron_Silverbeard, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

I love rares, they are fun to collect and look cool (usually) as well as make you feel warm and fuzzy inside.

I only hope that rares aren't going to be things that should have been in the game to begin with, but instead are millions of gold pieces and really hard to find. Point in case, in UO, a bookcase with books in it was rare as unicorn ****. They were 'server birth' rares or bugged items or some such nonsense, in effect, what it meant was that there were a few dozen on a server and they cost millions upon millions; everyone else had empty book shelves in their house. That was stupid and ruined the game somewhat.
    Another item was a 'broken chair'. It looked cool and really helped you bring a certain ambiance to a room, however again, it was millions of gold and only several existed [on my server at least].

I think rares should be things that would be rare in a common sense world. A special statue? A golden monocle? An ancient pirate looking glass? How about a rare painting or tapestry or cloak with unique embroidery? Stained glass windows? All these things and more should be rare.... a potted sunflower should not.

and yes, please, no neon crap.

ShrineSeeker and Vermine like this.
  2. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

I think that if there was a way to benefit two people of different professions with a rare it would be pretty cool. Perhaps through something like finding a blueprint. The blueprint, when completed would create two of the same item and then be destroyed. Some examples would be like if a warrior type killed a mob and found the blueprint for a sword. The warrior would need a blacksmith to create the sword. A treasure hunter finds a blueprint in a chest for a tunic and they would need to seek out a tailor. A thief steals a blueprint for table out of a dungeon and now needs a carpenter. Both parties get a copy of the rare item to sell or use as they wish. The items could be crafted by players and found on mobs at the same time. Everyone wins....i guess.

Adiun Tesserande likes this.
  3. Burnden

Burnden Avatar

A dirty frying pan! I will grab anything not locked down at server up. Mugs, pewter jars, I want it all.

Time Lord, Burnden Park and Derium like this.
  4. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

[​IMG]

5. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

[​IMG]

tradyblix likes this.
  6. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Glow /= Neon

With the current system, Magic item "glow" would be more particle based than "bright color" based.

Each game had to work within the graphical limits of the time. The animated "glows" of U7 would be particle effects in a newer engine. The Neon glare of certain UO items were mainly due to the limit of the hue system used at the time, and would be much more subtle (unless specifically made not so subtle) in SotA. Case in point, SotA can do a reasonably convincing shiny gold trim on a cloak. UO could not (I believe it has gotten better recently though in that regard).

7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

The game was also designed to operate as a offline game. This poses problems when people say all gear in the game should come from crafting.

I think there needs to be a fine percentage of where things come from etc....things like those rare blueprints could help also perhaps different percentages depending on online or offline.

8. Floors

Floors Avatar

Actually did you watch the deep dives ? I don't remember which one, but they addressed this, they have some kind of system that will work where they'll seed the player created items from MPO into SP games (SPO) and update them

from time to time. Actually was quite ingenious. But I don't know how it will actually work in practice, of course.

Magic Glow. I'm in favor. Yes. I want glowing blue swords. I actually felt that Ultima VII was the pinnacle of how these things looked.

I'll never forget the rush of raiding that pirate island and getting all those magic armors the first time. Such a good feeling.

Paper doll that stuff too ! We need Ultima paper dolls like U7. Was really good.

ShrineSeeker likes this.
  9. Rezulm

Rezulm Avatar

I vote no OP/unrealistic immersion damaging rewards such as...

Ethereal horses you can pop from your backpack. (they were nice... I admit. But bleah)

Well I'm drawing a blank on more examples but you get the idea.

10. Rezulm

Rezulm Avatar

Sorry, keep asking you for stuff. :) Where can I find the deep dives?

11. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

Here you go:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?cat=10

Edit: If you ever need to find it, they are located on the front page of the website, go to Media, and then click on Dev Hangouts.

Time Lord, Rezulm and tradyblix like this.
  12. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

When I played UO (1997 - 1999), Magic items did not glow, nor were they hued any differently than non-magic items, back in 1997-1999 the difference between 'a magic viking sword' and 'a viking sword' was zero excepting the differing text, both items looked identical unless clicked on and the description read. When the 'a magic viking sword' was identified it might say 'a surpassingly accurate viking sword of vanquishing', the text remained the only difference. I'd just prefer the U7 style as opposed to the UO style. The graphical limitations of UO were far more limiting than SOTA. In SOTA it will be more than possible to have an ice weapon glow blue or white, or having a fire weapon glow with fire etc.

13. Rezulm

Rezulm Avatar

Ah, I checked media, but only looked down to videos and thought I was in the wrong place. Thanks

14. Floors

Floors Avatar

Yeah what Sir Bradley said. But I'll save you some time..... the Combat and PvP deep dives are more interesting than the crafting and fishing ones.

Unless you are into crafting hardcore.

mikeaw1101 and Rezulm like this.
  15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

SPO (single player online) I have no worries about since it is still part of the online world...

Single Player Offline...however is not.

16. Rezulm

Rezulm Avatar

Crafting hardcore, sometimes. As long as its 2 girls 1 guy.

mikeaw1101 and tradyblix like this.
  17. Floors

Floors Avatar

Okay. So let's not do it like UO.

We should have weapons with different effects tho, for absolute sure.

You should know just by looking at someone how good their weapon is.

You know who had the coolest magic weapon designs back in the day ? Warhammer Fantasy Battle.

They had things like Chainswords and Out of Phase Chaos weapons and a lot of great ideas.

I know the whole thing was just a marketing tool to sell kids expensive resin scale models and paints, but they really had great art and design back when D&D

had some pretty tame ideas (a flaming sword !!! oooooh!!!) by comparison.

mikeaw1101 and Razimus like this.
  18. redfish

redfish Avatar

:) I'm a fan of more subtle effects. Like Bilbo's sword, Sting, only glowing when goblins or orcs were present :> Flaming sword would ideally only be flaming when you're actually wielding it in battle. Otherwise, you'd burn a hole through your scabbard. :>

Its also fun to make it so you can only find out a weapon is magic later when you start to use it.. so you don't necessarily know what you're picking up unless you have a Lore skill.

Arcanoxer, Ceal Astra and rune_74 like this.
  19. Floors

Floors Avatar

Lol I feel like every discussion I wade into there's already 2 entrenched sides that I end up on the other side of !!! :(

I give up. Make a toggle so those that hate effects can turn them off.

I dunno. I might end up playing SP offline myself at this rate :confused:

20. redfish

redfish Avatar

@tradyblix,

Just offering my pov, not taking sides in a war :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.