GDC sesssion about controlling toxic player behavior -- (Dev) Replied

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Silent Strider, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

It's not completely applicable to SotA, as this focus on how Riot Games handled the problem with toxic player behavior in LoL, but nevertheless it might be interesting. Also, the problem of toxic player behavior, as far as I can tell, was a real one for UO as well, and if not tackled might rear it's ugly head in SotA too.

http://gdcvault.com/play/1017940/The-Science-Behind-Shaping-Player

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Roxnee

Roxnee Avatar

I totally agree that this is something that SOTA needs to consider. I do believe this will make a much happier community .
    Thank you Silent Strider for this suggestion.

3. Jonathon.Doran

Jonathon.Doran Avatar

Thank you for posting that link. As a researcher, I have often felt that industry has ignored our work. I've seen people working on AAA games spend months working on a problem that had a known solution. Had they merely asked, we could have provided (at no cost) references to literature discussing the problem and providing solutions. I feel dismayed at this.

So I am very happy to see the folks at Riot Games doing this research, and doing a good job of it. The success of a game like SotA depends as much on psychology than it does on nice graphics. Maybe even more. And developers should not take a blind stab at getting things right, but instead they should set about to mold player experience and behavior.

(I would have written this in a green-blue font, but it looks like I'm stuck with white) :)

4. Evil Superhero

Evil Superhero Avatar

This is brilliant. I loved playing Halo 2 on X-box live, but eventually quit, because the gameplay was not fun enough to overcome the harassment I received, generally at the hands of 10 year olds that fling racial slurs like a monkey flings poo. It even got to be tiring muting half the players in the game lobby before play.

I hope the devs look at this heavily. I would be much more likely to pvp if bad behavior was limited and punished. Of course, the gameplay has to be fun, too, but this kind of system would remove a huge barrier for me.

5. Bzus

Bzus Design Lord SOTA Developer

Good talk. A lot of our desire to have different games modes comes from ideas discussed here. I would say that "Shield Players from Negative Behavior" is a primary goal with the different play modes. A negative reaction often arises from not properly balancing and communicating risk-reward.

6. Reigner

Reigner Avatar

@SilentStrider: Thank you for sharing this presentation! (Primal conditioning is a fascinating topic.)

@Portalarium: These are gems. If you haven't already, please watch the video and consider incorporating Riot's findings into SotA. Their PHd scientists have quantified the effects of toxic behavior within their game and provided valuable insights on what works and what doesn't work in dealing with it. The results may surprise you, and help advance the social design aspects of SotA.

7. Guerrilla

Guerrilla Avatar

Toxic players, and being able to never take any risks are two totally different ballgames.

I can't tell you how many times I died in UO, but it continues to top any other game I've ever played, and its 2013.

8. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Give me a free speech zone.
    http://a4.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/17/e5d094bbd6364d9da06e61cf802c30d9/l.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/MagnoliaBlsm92/ima98g.jpg
    http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/MagnoliaBlsm92/ima98h.jpg

I do support different levels of chat but yea some of us would like free open chat.

9. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

I try to keep up on all the latest research on Community Management and Social Media, and this presentation has some great stuff in it. Good share! For those of you who are curious, I also have 10+ years of training and experience in group dynamics and emergent social behaviors as a former Science teacher. You would be surprised how that prepares someone for a role like this one. :D

10. Alayth

Alayth Avatar

I finally got around to watching this. It's really good, thanks for posting.

I wonder if something like the tribunal could work for SotA. Unfortunately there will be far more player interactions than there are in LoL, and I don't know how all that data is being stored in order to be reviewed. But, assuming you could create a short log of interactions between the reporter and reportee, it would be neat and potentially really helpful to the game to have a court that players could go to and make judgements on these sorts of things. Punishments could include being temporarily or permanent banned from OPO. And then make the judgement info available to the convicted, like in LoL.

11. Monkus

Monkus Avatar

@Alayth

Wow yeah that is smart! Punishments are really easy in SotA for any infraction you could just get banned from OPO and FPO and be required to play SPO for the length of the ban.

12. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

I encourage you all to go out and read Lord of the Flies as well as review the Stanford Prison Experiment. The Tribunal often results to nothing more than League of Legends Idol with votes pushed off reddit and other social media campaigns.

I can get behind priming though, that is solid. Only one issue, I usually don't see loading screens long enough to read most content on them lol.

Btw, mentioning toxic player behavior... Increases toxic player behavior, well done Strider! /me looks for other forum topics now in a rage.

13. Alayth

Alayth Avatar

@InsaneMembrane - The Stanford Prison Experiment is only very tangentially related. They have lots of checks to make sure tribunal judgements aren't just whims or fancies of judges. The LoL team has lots and lots of direct data showing the tribunal works. Do you have evidence to the contrary?

14. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Would a system like this work?

levels
    G
    PG
    PG-13
    R
    NC17
    X
    Hate Speach

Hearing what others say:
    So you can set your chat up to what level you want to see.
    So say I set it at PG-13
    I then can see anything from G through PG-13 in chat.
    R through Hate Speach I cannot see.

How your words in chat works:
    At the beginning of the game we can all start out with a G level chat setting. (Everyone will see your chat)
    But if you get reported enough you move to the next level. No going back a level.
    If you continue to be reported you will end up on a higher rating.
    Say your words got you up to a R rating.
    Then anyone from G-PG13 will no longer be able to hear your words anymore.
    Continue to use words that gets you reported, soon only a few people in the game will be able to hear you, and they will be using the same kind of conversation you are.

15. AndiZ275

AndiZ275 Avatar

thanks a lot for sharing this video; never would've thought, that something positive could come out of all this hate speeches in LoL =p

(btw. one of the main reasons, I never tried this game out (I only played the only Warcraft mods) is, that I heard terrible things of the community there; so every measure to keep toxic players away from the normal crowd, would be highly welcome)

@jondavis: I like your idea (if it's possible to prevent wrong accusations)

16. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

This was a good lecture but some of it was worrying. What age is your player base? primary school?

Banning someone who says * is really stupid. If I stub my toe I say * so why would it be any different if I get killed by some boss monster. Its part of the vocabulary now

Banning someone for spewing homophobia or racist attitudes on the other hand is compleatly different, this is harassing for other players and so SHOULD be kept out of the game

* edited for language - Koldar

17. Alayth

Alayth Avatar

Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember them talking about banning anyone for just swearing. I think people who swore AT others in a harassing manner were punished.

18. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

It is important that we as players can filter undesirables out, especially as there is a filter mechanism in place that pairs us with other players due to the whole mini-sharding system. Given the limited number of players per "instance", it is important those people are generally a positive experience for all involved, rather than a negative one.

For example if I can't filter out the misogynist/racist/homophobic idiots, then I'm not going to stick around for long.

19. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

@Sir Asguard - Very well done my friend, you continue to show the maturity that has been so well displayed by your fellow members recently also. MGT470 is certainly a special guild...

@Alayth - SPE was brought up as peer justice is total joke and several studies now reflect the same results. Since I haven't nor will ever play LoL I have no direct evidence which I can present from my own experience. But I do know of instances where social media campaigns have been launched to weight those Tribunal cases.

20. G Din

G Din Avatar

Gets out popcorn ....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.