To Be Or Not To Be: The Map

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Apr 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Eh. We don't know what we'll be getting yet. While I understand I'm in the minority thinking this, my experience in the software industry gives me the distinct impression that the map we saw in R4 is a placeholder. I'm very confident the developers understand there is absolutely no point to a map that does nothing at all but waste the players' time, and I wholly expect for some pretty sweeping changes to be made to the aesthetic and for new features to be added. This map is not at all in the spirit of Ultima (or any other RPG for that matter), and the people in charge would have to be a pretty special kind of special to approve that for release. I have faith that's not what they're planning.

What they are planning, I don't know. I would absolutely love a map like what what Dom John showed us or what the KS concept showed us. Imagine Ultima 4 with a map that beautiful. And I don't at all agree with the people that say that the 3d aspect of the map has no place in an Ultima-esque game. It's still a map--a 2d map, with a fluff z-axis that's only used to make things pretty and add spice to the aesthetic.

And please, for the love of all that is wonderful about RPG worlds, let us rotate the camera. Please please please please please! Put a compass on the screen if you're worried about people getting lost.

2. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Your points make a lot of sense. I, however, prefer to remain hopeful that they will return to the bird's eye view ;)

3. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

For my part (speaking strictly for myself), I keep coming back to the fact that there is (currently) a disconnect between the main gameplay and the map. When I looked at the early vids, I thought the game was being constructed on two levels:
    1. The "main" 3D view.
    2. An "overland view", which to me was a super zoomed out overhead (or slightly isometric) ABSTRACTION of the world ...wherein you can only see a few hexes in either direction and thus, despite the "map" misnomer, was a different gameplay layer, NOT a map (despite continued incorrect references as such, even by RG/Port). The way it was presented was less that of a "map" and more of a second-level of game PLAY.
    Given that the above was my pre-R4 understanding, I frankly took for granted there would be in addition some sort of whole-world map...something which would show the entire world at once (or darn near). And this all made sense to me as an overland view was, in my estimation, the only way to make what is undeniably a completely fragmented world "feel" like a cohesive whole.

When I saw an actual map "merged" in function with the overland view, for me it created a huge disconnect. Instead of making me feel like all those little, independent, disconnected hexes were a cohesive world, for me it actually drives home the fact that each hex is separate, instanced, and all that jazz.

With R5 2 days out I will refrain from discussing it further until we see this next iteration.

4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I think people now fear that the devs put too much time into the paper map and at the end of the day many fans still won't like it and then there is no turning back anymore. Chris said that they want to give the paper map more love for R5 before considering to return to the 3D view. The fear now is that there won't ever be a return to the 3D view as the devs now put more love into the paper map not for R5 only but for R6, R7, alpha, beta and then there is no way back anymore.

So if the R5 map still looks the same or very similar to the R4 map how are we to find out if we like it better than the 3D world view?

5. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

@Lord_Darkmoon
    To paraphrase what Chris has said about combat, if it isn't fun they have enough time built into their schedule to rework the combat system. I would expect the same to be true for the map. These guys are industry veterans and know what they are doing. They want the game to be a fun experience for everyone. However that begs the statement, you can't please everyone all of the time. True story.

Siriustar, Margard and NRaas like this.
  6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I think you have possibly got to the point that no matter what they do with that map you have made up your mind. Every post you make goes back to the map at this point, no matter what thread.

I think we do need to give the new map a bit more time to adjust and see...if it doesn't work like they want it is a matter of changing out the graphics with 3d versions.

Siriustar, Margard and NRaas like this.
  7. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I hope you are right and it is as simple as exchanging the graphics...

8. DNA Cowboy

DNA Cowboy Avatar

Something similar to the first few minutes in this game:

Instead of what we've been dumped with.

9. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

I think they got the cloth map idea from the video made by one of the space bards, right?

10. Margard

Margard Avatar

Yes I think so

11. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

So we just willbe bombared with multiple threadsof the same topic?

nofare, Cir and Eriador like this.
  12. mrsanders

mrsanders Avatar

Well, since there were a few threads about PVP which essentially circled around the same few arguments, i suppose so... :(

Cir and Eriador like this.
  13. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Cloth map FTW! I like the new cloth map.

14. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Hey a new thread in which I haven't stated yet that I hate the cloth map and want a 3D living world map instead :)

Lord Baldrith, Retro, Joviex and 3 others like this.
  15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I don't really care how they do the map as long as it has a lot more functionality. Which at the end of the day has very little to do with graphics.

nofare, Ned888, NRaas and 1 other person like this.
  16. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

They should really tell us how they plan to improve the map and its functionality. But I fear that what we see now is all we get with no animals, dragons, monsters, weather, day night cycle... and no extra functionality.
    After all it has been said that they see the map as a means of transportation only.

Lord Baldrith, Joviex and Margard like this.
  17. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

I guess we should blame the community for giving them ideas... LOL! Community! Stop giving them ideas you won't like... ^_^

18. Margard

Margard Avatar

LOL :D

19. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

They should go back to the old 3D map where open pvp and free looting will be totally enabled. :p

mrsanders likes this.
  20. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

They should do another Kickstarter for a gorgeous looking, high-detailed, lush and living 3D overworld map with more functionality, roaming monsters and animals etc.

If they can fund it, then they would definitely know that there is a huge demand for such a map.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.