What PvP Players can look forward to

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by enderandrew, Feb 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

If your thread was for the staff maybe you should have specified.

If you think auto targeting, macros, character view, gear, and leveling have no relevance on skill base then I doubt they will take you seriously. Add to that personal attacks like jerk and ignorant and they may block your account.

I'll give it another bump and then leave it to the staff to keep alive. I imagine they will make it a sticky so all can admire its infinite wisdom and learn from it.

Silent Strider and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  2. jamiesan

jamiesan Avatar

Guys I merely posted my opinion and was met with several negative responses that didn't even pertain to what I was saying. You may not have thought so, but the first several responses to my post were smart-ass and defensive. I get that you people with many post (apparently that's relevant) have been arguing with pvpers whom wish to have a playstyle forced upon you. However I was never doing that, I wasn't asking for anything at all to be changed. I merely mentioned that it'd be nice if the pvp which is currently in development would turn out to be skill based. In response I get a bunch of automated "this isn't UO mannnn" comments. I get it guys, this isn't UO. Thank you. I'm excited to try this new game and I'm not trying to change it. There will be pvp, that's known, so let's make it good. Objections? No, of course not.

Anyway I have access to the alpha since I pledged like a good little sota fan. When the combat testing phase takes place we'll just see what happens. Apparently talking about it is off-limits. Maybe one day I'll be good enough to associate with those of many post. Fair well forum warriors, may your post counts never cease ascending!

Phredicon and rune_74 like this.
  3. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I understood what you meant and had no problem with it.

Phredicon and jamiesan like this.
  4. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

Maybe you should re-read your own OP, and look at it from a 3rd person's POV, and then you'll realize that it looks like yet another "I want SotA to be FFA PvP just like original UO so please make me a UO-clone"-thread...

Your OP was poorly worded if you wanted to bring constructive suggestions to the team and community to begin with. Reacting like that what you accuse the community of being does not further your case. If I misinterpreted your post, I am sorry for suggesting you were beating an animal corpse, but from where I am, even with your follow up posts, my opinion of the OP is not changed.

Time Lord and Canterbury like this.
  5. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Ahem... you also got a response, from me, to look up how combat, skill decks, etc, actually work as you kept repeating a baseless comment that PvP needs to be skill-based, even though you don't seem to know how combat in the game works in general. Indeed, you still haven't responded to me mentioning this to you. Again, look up how combat in SotA works, then come and tell us if you think it's still not skill-based and why you think that is, and we can discuss further.

6. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

Early UO did not have auto targeting, though there was plenty of 3rd party programs that would give you that ability and all of them were illegal for quite sometime before UO Assist was allowed.

acrylic_300 likes this.
  7. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Speed hacks, and other cheats are how I won when I first started playing. I think it was Sept '99 before they finally fixed most of those.

It still did come down to macro's and timing and running programs to automatically do things for you (like blocking players in with chests). It's what I hated about PVP in UO, it's why I was glad to see trammel. That and I was finally able to place a house.

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  8. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Wow, not many people say they liked Trammel...I would have liked it better too I think.

Eriador and Time Lord like this.
  9. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

I am hopeful that the combat system as the devs have proposed will allow for not only skill based PvP, but a skill based PvP that is not solely based on twitch, gear or "build". I, like you, look forward to trying it!

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

I am Bodhbh Dearg, and I want to share that I liked Trammel as well... :)

11. killdonkey

killdonkey Avatar

This is a good video showcasing pvp

12. Senusret

Senusret Avatar

When people say "skill based" pvp what they really mean is button mashing pvp.. At least thats my impression. Your actual real life skill in horse riding for example does not translate to a video game. You're just mashing buttons faster than the other guy and jumping around, its not exactly what I call fun.

I used to be in favor of full loot open world PvP until I played this game called Mortal Online. It had a lot of promise but quickly devolved into a random kill fest. There was never enough content so people just roam around looking for someone to kill randomly, because they can, because they're bored.

I only want to PvP if there is some purpose behind it. We declare war on these people because they are encroaching on our territory or we have some philosophical or religious differences. I think the developers should be very careful to avoid mechanics that result in "random PvP" that has no rp value or in game purpose other than just being competitive and enjoying the killing of other players. This was a problem in UO that resulted in Trammel. I enjoyed UO and the PvP but it was not perfect and hopefully SotA has a better solution.

I don't like instanced PvP though, I would prefer to have a flagging system to instanced.

Bodhbh Dearg and Jambot like this.
  13. Seneth

Seneth Avatar

He ganked a guy who was busy fighting a wyrm. Wheee PvP. So much skill.

When people talk about how skill-based UO was, I have to wonder whether the most important skill was being in an area that had broadband in 1999 and dominating people on dial-up.

14. killdonkey

killdonkey Avatar

He was only soloing how did he gank anyone? lol
    So much skill? How about u try and do what he does? UO is hard to master.

15. Seneth

Seneth Avatar

He jumped a guy who was distracted and already more than half dead. Sorry, not impressed.

Bodhbh Dearg and Silent Strider like this.
  16. Floors

Floors Avatar

Yeah...... Goodbye 1997.

I dunno yet, but I think the PVP zone areas are a good idea.

There just has to be a reason to go into them for non-Pvp players but players that are not totally PvE,

which should make for some dynamic battles, and inexperienced vs experienced battles for PvP only people.

I'm hoping turf battles will provide the fun, if you can own some hexes and get advantage from it

Already in the basic combat we have now, skill (and cards) enters into it.

Eriador likes this.
  17. algumacoisaqq

algumacoisaqq Avatar

I would add that it is very hard to make a skill-based game to work on unstable internet connection. This is probably why the card system is getting in - it forces you to make smart decisions, but gives you some time to do it, so that the connection isn't so important to decide who the winner will be. Maybe these days it is possible to have a MMO where the server can handle a lot of players doing precision based things, but the cost for this would still be very high I think.

What I would agree on is that it would be crazy to make PvP be gear-based - I'm not saying that gear should be meaningless, but if it is the deciding factor, i fear it would become a giant grind fest. But I don't think anyone ever asked for a gear-based PvP anyway.

tradyblix likes this.
  18. Talmanes

Talmanes Avatar

Sounds like restricted PVP is going to be a part of SOTA, which reminds me of Trammel and most UO Vets can agree that was the beginning of the end. Running from town to town dodging highwaymen or running across a player run village that was protected by it's members was freedom. UO set an amazing standard for freedom in online games and the industry has been running from it ever since. We the people are tired of shackles, we want freedom. If player killers are a problem, let players create quests to finish them off. Be creative not restrictive. Let players play as the monsters at the cost of owning houses. Also, full loot! Losing items is natural, makes you think. Do you equip yourself for maximum survivability and risk losing it all? Also, makes crafting crucial. I just thought I would remind everyone that being able to move and interact with your surroundings was only half the freedom that we enjoyed. I was very close to pledging... Restrictions to PVP is the only reason I haven't.

Trammel: limitation to freedom: something that limits a person's freedom

19. Robby

Robby Avatar

I hear ya man.
    But were gonna have to be happy with what we got. SotA is selective multiplayer and it looks like theres going to be some exciting PvP quests. Did you read about the contraband quests yet? Also if you read the PvP megapost you'll see that the plan on having lawless zones like where meteors have landed or volcanoes have erupted and there are rare spawns and resources where PvP will be activated.
    Check out UO private servers there all pretty much dedicated to the old school UO.

20. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Talmanes, we already have (more than) a thread about this. I think there is the correct place to write about this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.