Do I HAVE to kill bears, wolves, and the like?

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Sunsanvil, Apr 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

Call me a wuss, or whatever other derogatory term you please, but I really don't like killing what I call "wildlife" creatures in games. Undead litches, wraiths, skeletons, giant spiders, gelatinous cubes, evil peeps in general, I have no problem with, but for once in a game I'd like to be able to walk past a bear, wolf, lynx etc and not have to slaughter them. I would gladly put points into a "friend of nature" skill or something in order to avoid having to constantly skirt them.

But thats just me....

2. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

hehe, yeah actually I always wish I didn't have to kill the local wildlife too. Especially the cute deer and "kitties" like Lynx's and such. I love the idea of a "friend of nature" skill. That's something I would definitely want to put a lot of points into. :)

Siili and Time Lord like this.
  3. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

They should be neutral creatures and not attack you needlessly.

4. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Is not that hard to skip them.

5. Margard

Margard Avatar

This sounds cool

6. mrsanders

mrsanders Avatar

Hippies....

ShrineSeeker and Hops099 like this.
  7. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

In most games, things are pretty realistic in this regard. I deer doesn't attack until you do or might be social with other deer. A bear had a very small aggro range so that again, you're fighting it if you get in it's face / cave. Inevitably resources end up near bear caves. And ofc, skinning for leather pushed you to fight wildlife.

8. Kaynith Stormcaster

Kaynith Stormcaster Avatar

This should be simple enough to code and flag. Simply make them non-hostile unless attacked. Or have them growl and take an aggressive stance towards you for say, 10 - 15 seconds before attacking.

If creatures are wanted to attack no matter what, make a separate kind. Call them 'Aggressive Bear' or 'Rabid/Starving Wolf' or whatever.

Alexander, Sunsanvil and rschultzy80 like this.
  9. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

I've always wanted to be say friends with say skeletons, and they wouldn't attack me. I would have to have good karma/rep with them and build it up over time, but i could walk among them with no aggro.
    This could maybe be done with wild animals, if your percentage of say wildlife kills to overall kills is within a very low small amount you might naturally get this 'friend of nature' skill. It could be a natural skill, no points needed to be placed, but based on your actions.

10. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

11. redfish

redfish Avatar

As I understand, in real life, bears are not necessarily aggressive when you cross them in the wild. They'll be aggressive if they feel provoked, are startled, or are being defensive of their cubs or their food. Other times, they might run away. It depends on the type of bear. Brown bears are more aggressive than black bears. Polar bears are particularly aggressive. Wolves tend to be more aggressive, but are more likely to attack than avoid you if they're in a pack rather than solitary.

It would be really cool if the devs tried to model realistic behavior; not just for the sake of realism, but because it makes encounters more interesting and complex and makes the game more fun. And yes, it would also be cool, if some characters could have a skill that helped them mitigate whatever tendencies towards aggressive behavior they do happen to have.

I'd personally also wish for all animals to be a little more difficult to find in the release game. Right now they're just hanging around the road, waiting for people to kill them.

smack, Rampage202, Phredicon and 5 others like this.
  12. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

As someone who helped define the hippie movement, it pains me to see the label used as an offhand pejorative.

Phredicon, Alexander and Dame Lori like this.
  13. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

A what? :eek:

Doppelganger likes this.
  14. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Please dont kill skeletons, they were people, even if they are not real. :p And yes, Im sure that wolves and bears can be enough aggresive to be dangerous in the real world.

15. Net

Net Avatar

Well, I was actually outrunning them all the time. I wish they were more neutral, but they left me alone after I run about ten or twenty metres from them... I would also prefer them to avoid me unles they are attacked/hungry/protecting their territory/cubs, that would be more realistic imho.

16. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

If we do not kill them now, then we will never be able to stop these wild creatures from all flying away!

Just think about what perverted things Santa has been doing with his deer! And to ever think to have flying bears?
    This would be outrageous and needs to be stopped immediately before they too take flight, so kill them all!
    Can you imagine cleaning your windshield ..err..umm.. Helmet from one of them flying overhead?o_O
    Save a critter, kill a Mombat ;)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

17. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Perjorative, a negative term intended to express derisive attitudes.

I think the original hippie line above was a joke. The joke was that anyone who doesn't want to needlessly kill animals is somehow in the wrong. Hippies aren't the butt of that joke. People who do want to needlessly kill animals are.

So while the term hippie has been a pejorative to at least some since the movement started, I don't believe it was in this thread.

18. redfish

redfish Avatar

The discussion also reminds me of bard skills in UO

Time Lord and Eriador like this.
  19. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

I was thinking in taming since we start. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Sorry for the joke, but I must do it: Why have we to kill the mimics? They kiss very well!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.