Do I HAVE to kill bears, wolves, and the like?

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Sunsanvil, Apr 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

If the devs ever want to put in more aggressive varieties of wolves, in addition to the standard ones, there could possibly be dire wolves, which would be larger and stronger, or also barghests, which would be more supernatural.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  2. Margard

Margard Avatar

Agree with this completely

I would like to add - being a Zelda fan - it would be cool if spiders could "ambush us" or outflank us by "jumping over us and block our path" ... possibly "rooting us"

While the game has to have a good balance of fun / engaging / challenging ... unique "intelligence/strategies/moves" from creatures would help the game

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

Did you see my spiders thread, :) https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/spider-suggestions.10307/

But yea, one of the things I liked about the first Diablo game -- even though I typically don't care for ARPGs -- is that the monsters acted pretty intelligently, instead of just acting like mindless hack-and-slash enemies.

4. Kaynith Stormcaster

Kaynith Stormcaster Avatar

I did appreciate the deer in the housing instances. Free leather! :) (Yes, we have housing instances, they're just bigger. If you are in MP Online, and someone is in SP Online, you won't see each other, but you are both in the same 'instance' in a different layer.)

I'd like to see the deer drop meat as well. I'm sure they will in later revisions. Meat, hide, and horns. Nothing wasted. Maybe even make a generic 'animal bones' item as well that can just be a pile of bones used for all critters, and then have said 'animal bones' be uses in crafting somehow. Bone handled knives, bone armor, etc. Oh, and hey! Bonemeal! :)

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  5. Net

Net Avatar

Deers shoud drop antlers, not horns:) They could be used as house decoration.

6. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Radaghast-the-Brown is my hero! I want to join his order! Save the cute fuzzies! Slogan: Have you hugged a tree (or bear) today?

hehe, ok so I'm an incurable softie, and this is a slight exaggeration of how I really feel. But I do like warm, fuzzy feelings (at least a little itty bitty bit) in games I play to break up the same old kill-everything routine. What can I say. :)

edit: I haven't had a chance to read up on everything yet. I like some of the ideas here, even the ones about affinities for spiders or skeletons. Maybe those could be an option as well, for those so inclined.

Time Lord and Jivalax Azon like this.
  7. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

That worked a release ago, I think will come back.

Time Lord and Jivalax Azon like this.
  8. Kaynith Stormcaster

9. redfish

redfish Avatar

Commented in the R5 forums that it would be nice to have a "bear hide" so you could make a bearskin rug and perhaps a "wolf hide" for a wolf cloak. The generic "animal hide" they drop limits the possibilities :)

10. Santa Clause

Santa Clause Avatar

Should I be offended by this?

11. Kaynith Stormcaster

Perhaps eventually each particular critter will have a specific item attached to it in that regard. Maybe each critter will drop an additional item, randomly, to be added to the crafting to make it a certain produced end-item.

For example, keep the animal hide drops as-is, but add semi-rare additional drops. Wolf fur, for example, to make a wolf cloak or rug. Bear Fur, to make a bear cloak or rug, etc.

You'd then ADD these items to your tailoring table along with the requisite other items to make a cloak, rug, fuzzy fur-lined armguards, whatever.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  12. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Actually they were in R5, just a rare drop. I ended getting a pair that I mounted and put in my house.

13. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

The Deer have had it in R6 thanks to you!

Jivalax Azon and Eriador like this.
  14. Net

Net Avatar

Not really. Antlers are just dead bone. Well, when they are fully developed they are dead bone, of course there is living tissue surrounding them, when they are growing. Horns are like nails, claws, or hairs - they are made of keratin and it is projection of skin (on the head) surrounding live bone.
    Well, I was trying not to kill animals, so I missed rare loots.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  15. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

Deers dropped (rar-ish) a Stag Head this go round for making the mounted deer head thing.

Eriador, enderandrew and Jivalax Azon like this.
  16. Alpha Omega

Alpha Omega Avatar

In my opinion a Rare Dire wolf Pelt should be worth money. Special Rares, Regular skins, Horns, Crafting Items. Should be avail.

Depending on if the animals are hunted in that town or not should Pre-determine if the animals are nice and let you walk by or Attack you/ Run from you.

17. Shortina

Shortina Avatar

After playing R6, It would be hard not to kill bears and wolves, specially for gatherers since they spawn right next to trees that can be chopped down or bushes that can be harvested.
    What I miss is being able to use a dagger or axe in any tree outside the city to get resources, but it was nice to see the tree falling to the ground.

enderandrew likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.