Healing

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Poor game design, Apr 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr X

Mr X Avatar

re: illnesses, that could be extended to create a 'plague' across certain parts of New Brit. where you are more likely to get the illness and require the appropriate elixir.

2. redfish

redfish Avatar

This discussion also reminds me of regeneration rings [​IMG], which were in some of the single player Ultimas.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Ooooo ALL sorts of shameless plugging to go on on the subject of healing.. let me tell you!

There was a lot of discussion on the subject of healing, food, rest, herbs etc last summer. A lot of which started by redfish and a couple from myself. So shameless plugs for reference.. here we go..

Benefits of Rest
    Herbs, Alchemy & Healing
    Healing Effects & Durations

The first 3 I think are the most relevant while the last 3 are more of a side topics of interest. I'm pretty sure there are more posts by redfish but I only did a quick search on "healing". The 4th and last links are a bit more hard core.

Wounds, injuries, impediments
    Magical, medicinal, and culinary herbs & ingredients
    Diseases, Poisons and Infections

Needless to say I'm a fan of non-magical healing skills.
    X

4. redfish

redfish Avatar

Was thinking about the suggestions for auto-heal of light wounds but requirements for healing heavy wounds, that's what Darklands did. It came up in a thread on the effects of blunt weapons vs sharp weapons, which is linked to in the Wounds, injuries, and impediments thread.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Yes, I think reagents are the key. If you're not using a skill, then you need to have reagents to "cast" natural auto heal.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

EATING AND DRINKING TO EXCESS SHOULD LEAD TO DEBUFFS:
    Something new I would like to see for SotA.. People getting full by eating too much food. So there are no more buffs/heals that food can provide for a person (even if they were small heals). If you are totally stuffed, and you continue to eat after a certain point then it should actually Debuff you.

THIS SHOULD INCLUDE IMMORTALITY FRUIT!!! Sorry if you bought 20 accounts at immortal adventurer... don't use all 20 immortality fruits in one PvP encounter, because you should get too full for it to help you. If you can't digest it, then you can't absorb it!

Same thing with potions. Healing potions, curing potions, night sight potions... ANY POTION should have immediate limitations by too much consumption. Potion vials might be smaller than a glass of milk but still you should get filled up and you're body needs time to filter out all that liquid. You get full, and cannot absorb anymore.

THAT BEING SAID
    I'm sure you've heard this same type of thing said before "I really liked how healing worked in UO".

If you used bandages in UO you could heal damage to yourself or others. However when you healed yourself it took longer to apply a bandage, and it gave greater opportunity for interruptions to occur that hindered the healing process. Of course self-healing with magic could be interrupted by being hit before the caster fished the spell.

It was helpful to be able to travel alone and stay alive. If this is a solo player game it would be nice to have this ability, but in PvP it is very necessary to be able to manage yourself too.

Time Lord and Numa like this.
  7. redfish

redfish Avatar

I personally just like the game stopping you from eating if you're full. "Urp. I can't eat anymore."

Potion vials probably should not only be smaller than a glass of milk they should be really small. Ever seen antique pharmacy bottles? Yea, in theory, if you drank enough, it could fill you up. But how many? I don't know.. +20? Just a guess.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I am all for auto-heal and at a decent rate. Healing spells are still important in combat and in dungeons where it's hard to get a breather between encounters. I do not want healing to be a giant chore.

I notice a lot of the reasoning for abandoning self-heal are related to multi-player roles and roleplaying. This game is not just another mmo. It's an rpg with selective multi-player and I feel like a lot of these suggestions screw over single-players, just to add flavor to multi-player. I want a better compromise.

Time Lord and redfish like this.
  9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I like 20 potions an hour personally. Keep in mind some drinks don't go well with others. Liquor before beer you're in the clear, beer before liquor never sicker.

Shots of liquor can have A POWERFUL affect on a person. ALSO drugs can have negative interactions and synergies. So there should be some kind of knowledge about potions. I propose that drinking two potions with herbs that negatively interact with one another should cause adverse effects.

So 20 potions might be too much. Imagine if you took 20 viles of 80 proof liquor in one hour? Notice i said vials (bigger than a shot). YOU WOULD BE TOTALLY DESTROYED BY ALCOHOL, and the next day would be even worse.

POTIONS ARE DRUGS

Numa likes this.
  10. redfish

redfish Avatar

@docdoom77,

True, but hopefully we'll have hirelings and companions and that will make up for any imbalance between single player and multi-player.

Personally, I tend to be against self-heal, or at least, complete self-heal and without a cost, but not for the multi-player reasons. Its something I think worked well in the early Ultima games.

Time Lord and Kaisa like this.
  11. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

That potions thing could lead to some interesting twists. Like having to take antidotes for side effects etc. THAT'S A GOOD NON-GRIND way to cause people to need healers.

12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'm a firm believer in non-magical skills. I once pushed for an answer in regards to a non-magical healing skill to which RG replied there would be one.

That said I'm also a firm believer healing over time. I'm not sure how I feel about the term auto-heal but I don't think my thinking has changed much since last summer. That skills, potions, bandages etc should modify healing rates as opposed to providing instant healing. (Note this is starting with a very slow base healing rate).

I don't particularly care for the idea of sacrificing the soloist for the sake of the group. If I have the skills and preparation to maximize my own healing rate then I should be able to do that just as effectively as any other healer. That is of course, assuming I AM a healer myself. I see absolutely no reason for any system to give preference. Either you've invested in that ability or you haven't. That should be enough for both group and solo scenarios. In all cases, it's up to the player(s) to be prepared and prioritize their skill set as best suits them.

Time Lord and docdoom77 like this.
  13. Fredrick FlameGrinder

Fredrick FlameGrinder Avatar

My thoughts on Healing, mostly touched on so far:
    Potions in combat if enough distance/time is obtained while fleeing, and please not like skyrim eating food while in battle and heal lol.

Category:
    Poisons Healer or potion fighting against decaying timed damage, greater poisons have a higher damage so chance of death before finding a healer could be immediate or very soon.
    Bruise/Scrape/Cut Self heal fighting against decaying timed damage.
    Severe Wound Healer ...Or Partially heal depending on category of infliction(limb maimed still need healer, but cuts may heal, but your hand cut off will need healer to regain limb?
    Sprained Decaying timed damage, bandaging can start the short term healing process.
    Broken Bone Requires Healer or Long term healing with bandage.
    Virus Decaying timed damage, heal depending on category, healer immediate, but others have chance to catch within % depending on their Constitution(if we had something like that).

14. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, if not by getting companions, a solo player could make up for his lack of skills through other ways. Healing potions instead of healing spells. Flaming swords instead of a fireball spell. An armor skin spell instead of a suit of plate armor. This is how solo gaming typically works.

I typically play solo, myself, and I don't mind restrictions.

Time Lord and Kaisa like this.
  15. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

I love this idea... Heal potion + cure potion to close together and oh oh..

Time Lord and Isaiah like this.
  16. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

In combat you cannot fight at the same time and if you get hit while:

Bandaging - You need to start over, the bandages have no effect and you take damage from being hit. Takes 2 or 3 turns to apply a bandage.
    Potions - The potion breaks and is lost for good. Damage is taken from the hit. Takes 2 turns minimum to drink it.
    Spell - Spell is interrupted and mana lost, damage is taken from the hit. Need to start the spell over. Takes 2 or 3 turns to cast a heal spell.

I also like Bowen Bloodgoods idea:

Time Lord and Mercyful Fate like this.
  17. redfish

redfish Avatar

I mentioned this suggestion in a post, but it might have gotten lost in there.. bandages could be used to stop bleeding, if there's ever bleeding in the game.

Also, it might work if you didn't finish a whole potion in one drink. So you could have a vial with 3 possible portions, and it would be empty when you drink it three times. People have gotten used to the 1 vial = 1 drink formula, and I'm not sure why nobody has thought about changing it.

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  18. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I think the reason is that it's easier to mesure dosing. Usually you drink one dose. That seems to make sense. Medicine is usually packaged in a form that you can measure the doses precisely.

This is another reason why we should watch out for how much we consume. These potions are made with powerful reagents. Too much of a good thing is a bad thing. For example Tylenol is a good thing, but if you take a whole bottle full you need to contact poison control. Acetaminophen is really hard on the liver. Why should these potions be any different?

I would hate to see people popping potions like they did in UO, or other games.

rschultzy80 and Mercyful Fate like this.
  19. redfish

redfish Avatar

Well, in real life, they'd be often consumed by spoonfuls; pouring the liquid from the vial into the spoon.

In the game, there could be different sizes of vials, small ones and large ones, and having a large one in your sack would potentially offer more healing, but if you weren't forced to drink all the doses at once, you wouldn't be forced to give up your entire large vial in one drink. It would give more flexibility to the players, and let them carry around less objects in their pack.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. rschultzy80

rschultzy80 Avatar

I completely agree. I want as many things as possible driving the economy.

What if one of the crafters could make a "campfire" type device that you could cook meat, rest, relax for a couple of minutes and would recuperate life and energy? It would shorten the "grind" and give back to the economy. Carpentry perhaps? Even alchemy, could add some special "reagents/powders" to add healing properties to the flames?

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.