Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Overland Map Changes

Discussion in 'Release 5 Feedback' started by Browncoat Jayson, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blitz101

Blitz101 Avatar

I just started playing with this release so I may be ignorant on a few subjects here.

Ultima Online was the first MMO I ever played I was involved in the glory days before the direction of the game shifted it into something completely different. I still think this game, the dev team, and Richard Garriott have more to add and contribute to the gaming market. I am very happy to be here.

It's actually kind of funny how I found out about Shroud of the Avatar. I recently started playing An Corp, a player run server reminiscent of the T2A days. One evening after searching for any kind sign of an Ultima Online remake I stumbled across Shroud of the Avatar and although I know this isn't a remake still found myself pledging that very day. I share this game as much as I can.

Anyways, I know this is Pre-Alpha and things will change before the release. One of the advantages of having the game open to the public this early in development is that you get to hear feed back before the game is released and the community gets a chance to share ideas. This is both a blessing and a curse because people can easily forget in their minds the word "pre-alpha" and forget that all content is subject to change.

I am not sure what the end result is for the overland map however I believe that using the overland map strictly as a means of transportation and random encounters is missing out on a HUGE portion of untapped potential in not only user experience but also in nostalgia. One of the staples of the Ultima series was its overhead view. I really think the dev's need to consider using the overland map area as an area to allow old school overhead view pvp, gathering, and monster encounters. It would be more work because essentially you'd need two models for each unit but the over all experience would be more seamless. I'd like to be able to buy a pack horse, wonder out into the wilderness and start chopping down trees. Encounter a ratman that kills my pack horse and steals my logs.

In all honesty I'm a little concerned that the current Overland map could evolve into "instances" separated by a map. Maybe I'm just getting a little bit of that Pre-Alpha syndrome I was talking about before but i figured I would share my idea anyways.

On another note Kickstarter and Richard have provided us with a rare opportunity to cut out the middle man and design the game we are looking for. I stumbled across this article and laughed a little.

http://techland.time.com/2013/03/11/before-you-drop-money-on-richard-garriotts-shroud-of-the-avatar/

They are terrified that we might not need large distribution companies to create a successful game. Let's prove them right.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Blitz

2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I fear that you are right and that the map will be nothing more than travelling from hex to hex...

3. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Yes...very strange...hahah what?

4. Numa

Numa Avatar

No we aren't a bunch of kids - most of us are probably way on the wrong side of 40. That brings up the question though of who exactly is SOTA targetted for & how many people are needed to support it so that it's sustainable ? I *think* , given the right combination of circumstances and timing, the current 34k backers can reach ~100k. We"d get to that mark faster though if SOTA brings in young , mature & old alike.

Time Lord and Margard like this.
  5. selbie

selbie Avatar

From the videos I've seen from RG, there is a local map that has not been implemented yet.
    So as far as I can tell there will be:
    1. The actual game instances we move around in.
    2. Local hex / dungeon map (ie. pull this up and you can see your position within the hex, town or dungeon)
    3. Overland Map

2 and 3 are what I believe they are referring to as the dual scale map. This is because each hex is handled as an instance and there cannot be a single map covering both. It is a result of what RG was referring to in the anniversary video regarding single scale maps.

6. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

If they do add this capability to the overland map, then I think we should be able to "add in known items" by typing them in. So if I know I am in Kingsport but the Town Crier has not told me I could add that in to my map myself.

7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:rolleyes: Wow DNA Cowboy, I live right next to that most northern mountain range on that map :rolleyes:

"I'll bet if I go outside and shake a tree, you can see it move aye?":D
    ~Time Lord~:p

8. DNA Cowboy

DNA Cowboy Avatar

Nice!

pics pics!

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

In todays 'Standup Corner':

Bill Kirkman: Castle Arena Basement & New map
    Jason Yenawine: Bag functionality for maps and NPCs & Hot bar data save/load
    Stephen Daniele: Overland (<-- map?)

I think they are listening and know it's an issue. Lets see what they come up with.

foobard, Cir and Margard like this.
  10. Margard

Margard Avatar

They have been listening for a while now - I'm waiting to see what they come up with next ...

Mishri, LoneStranger and Joviex like this.
  11. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

We've merged most of the map threads in this forum to try to keep things clean and together without having 400 of the same thread topics. Please keep further map discussion in this thread rather than starting a new one. Thank you.

12. Aegis159

Aegis159 Avatar

LOL ok THAT'S why it seemed like I had missed a bunch of posts with pics and everything in them!! Craziness!!

13. Blitz101

Blitz101 Avatar

I should have posted mine here. Thanks for clearing up the forum Mystic.

14. Crag

Crag Avatar

They just need to link the hexes together so they match the map and each other, also need multiple entrances and exits. If you leave from the north side of a hex you should enter the south side of the next hex. you could fast travel on the cloth map or move hex to hex for immersion

Senash Kasigal, Lyran and Ravenclaw like this.
  15. Telavar

Telavar Avatar

Of course this would contradict all earlier statement regarding a 'dual scale world' - it's basically just several single scale maps that will be connected with each other (or not). The 'overland map' serves only as a means for transportation and general navigation. This, along with randomly generated hexes will break immersion with the game, no doubt.

16. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

As I said before, with linking the hexes together to walk from scene to scene without an overland map would mean that you would have to walk through the exact same hexes over and over again as not every hex has a unique area. I doubt that it would be fun walking through the exact same areas when you want to travel without an overland map through the world.

Also the overland map was not always just "move your flag from hex to hex". In an interview Richard Garriott said that there would be monsters roaming around on the map which you could either engage or flee. Also surprise attacks were planned as well as a day/night cycle that had an effect on the scenes. A weather system was planned for the map as well as dynamic NPC encounters like the gypsy wagons. There would have been much to make travel on the overland map interesting and add to the immersion.
    But it seems all of this was scrapped for "move your flag from hex to hex on a cloth map".

Valice_Belgraham likes this.
  17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I think it was planned to have all those features, but still be a similar movement scheme as the current map.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.