1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

SotA Limited Edition Art Print!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by caravaggiosWolf (Dev), Apr 10, 2014.

?

Which image would you like as a limited edition art print?

Poll closed Apr 30, 2014.
  1. Option 1: The Forest of Ardor

24.3%
  2. Option 2: The Smuggler's Cove

7.5%
  3. Option 3: The Obsidian Ruins

9.8%
  4. Option 4: The Song of Daedelus

44.5%
  5. Option 5: The Pillars of Night

13.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master Kush

Master Kush Avatar

Well, cut the future capitalists thing... What is the problem is someone speculate on one rare piece of art which is included in game's history? The things is that you cannot control the demand unless you are a social engineer like those Dictators... The fact is simple, they selling the piece of art have to put up a price on it and people will buy them, and if the thing is exceptional and catches other people's attention as a rare piece of work, which is worth let's say i don't know... 1000 times the original payed value... Well let it be. The most precious things made by humans were done from the heart and with a true will to show something, that is why they are worth monetarily huge amounts...

Same thing goes one for everything. If you in-game craft a very rare weaponry or if you have a very rare good, and someone wants to buy it and someone thinks it is worth that or this amount of money or any other good.. what is the problem on that?

People might say, oh... Chinese, Korean gold farmers and all and all... Well, the gold farmers are putting time on doing that boring stuff and the most factual thing is that if they get their hands on that unique golden sword, they can sell it for the amount that someone is willing to pay, it can be also that nobody would pay for that... may it be real world money or goods, in-game money or goods, etc.

People has got to lay back a little bit and stop controlling all aspects of every f* thing in reality... It will NOT work, it will deteriorate things and eventually bring everything down, as always.

caravaggiosWolf (Dev) likes this.
  2. Master Kush

Master Kush Avatar

Did not mean to be rude, at all, please do not take it in a bad way, that is how i expressed my opinion.

3. Sundagger

Sundagger Avatar

Was not offended and you have your own opinion... I do not personally have a problem with people buying things 'for profit' value... but it is, to say the least, very annoying, when you desparately wish to buy/own something, but find it has sold out in the blink of an eye, with half of those for sale going to a handful of speculators, who do not have any personal desire to own the item, simply wishing to elevate the price for resale... concert tickets anyone?

4. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

I seriously doubt 500 of any of the prints at the suggested price would sell out quickly. I think it would take months. (I actually think 500 is too many)

Wanting something for its beauty or because you are a fan and wanting something because it is rare and valuable are not mutually exclusive, and one can own something valuable and appreciate its value without having intentions of ever selling it. Rarity is one of the factors and reasons antiques and art are purchased. Otherwise everyone would just go for the $3 "made in china" version. ;)

I doubt any noticeable amount of prints will be scooped up by people who are looking to turn a profit... I don't see these as increasing in value much in the foreseeable future.

5. Maximus Katse

Maximus Katse Avatar

Nice to see The Song of Daedalus still crushing it. There is much love for Stephen deGrasse Daniele!

caravaggiosWolf (Dev) and rild like this.
  6. stile

stile Avatar

I think 500 would sell, but agree with you Lori. It would take some time. :)

I dont think were going to see this happen, but ill keep hoping!

7. cs2501x

cs2501x Avatar

Well, if they do go on sale, I look forward to seeing them in the store. :)

I'm really glad this was put up. Thanks, Stephen.

8. caravaggiosWolf (Dev)

caravaggiosWolf (Dev) Developer Emeritus

Thank you to everyone who participated and voted for their favorite print! Your kind words and constructive criticism are invaluable to me and the success of the SotA. :)

Unfortunately we don't have enough interest right now in a limited edition print to justify the time/cost and return of having one printed. :(

Sooooo what we are going to do is make all FIVE images available on zazzle.com or a similar site so you can pick and choose which prints you would like to own and how much you would like to spend. I'll be working with the team to set this up and we will announce it in the weekly update and here on the forums once we have all the details worked out.

Thank you again for all your support!

Stephen

9. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

Boo, but yay for giving us an alternate channel.

Thanks Stephen, look forward to the Pota in a short bit :)

10. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

:( I was really looking forward to a signed print. Guess I'll just need to go to Austin and crash the studio with pen in hand. ;)

But, yay for making all available, at least! Can I once again ask you to add VALLEY OF BOBS! :cool:

11. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Better than nothing.

I think the other thing to consider is that only a small handful of backers visit the forums or vote in polls. You guys might have better luck advertising potential promotions like this in a newsletter.

12. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

I know I'd jump on a hardcover art book KS if SotA/Stephen did it :)

13. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

*nods* Agreed- I've been requesting an art book since last year. :)

14. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

I'm sure that sales of signed copies of such a art book could definitely generate increased interest in the game o_O In addition to the online store, the team could always bring some copies with them to major conventions where they would be making an appearance, like DragonCon. (Just an example! Obviously, they wouldn't be ready in time for that particular convention :D)

Jambo, Mishri, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  15. smack

smack Avatar

An art book would also be great! And I agree with enderandrew that you'd get more visibility if it were advertised in the Weekly Update so it gets emailed out and posted on the front page. To gauge interest, it could be a pre-order type thing where it would only be made if a certain # of pre-orders were purchased otherwise everyone gets refunded.

16. Rustic Dragon

Rustic Dragon Proprietor of the Hearth

Just a quick clarification, we will not be using Zazzle. We have a something in the works with regard to merch. ;)

17. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

They could do a Kickstarter for that.

I think people would be upset over them doing another Kickstarter for the game itself, but if they did a Kickstarter for a limited art prints (if we can raise $x number of dollars, then everyone backers of the art print KS gets a signed limited print) that might work.

edit: corrected poor word choice

18. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

This is something I wouldn't mind backing. If votes can't pull it in, then maybe something larger and more noticeable then a forum poll could. It isn't directly related to the building the game, so no bad press about that. No, "OMG, THEY ARE RUNNING OUT OF MONEY," stuff. Just something that is more noticeable to see if interest is there.

And hey, it can also have the effect of people seeing the art and wonder just what Shroud of the Avatar is if they don't know. :D

19. Dhimmi

Dhimmi Avatar

good idea

20. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

We finally do this?? I am interested in purchasing prints. Please pm me a link.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.