What PvP Players can look forward to

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by enderandrew, Feb 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Depends on the enhancement, I would imagine. If the enhancements are simply +1's to the PvP skills then the enhancements have little impact.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

Pretty much like @Ristra mentioned. I made a general example. If the enhancements are to something like +1 to PvP skills, then that wouldn't really matter for PvE, and couldn't rightly be labeled a regular enhancement. We don't know what they mean when they say 'PvP Specific'. We really don't know what enhancements they want to bring to the table as far as any of them go.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

^ Well, I can guarantee you this much. As far as I'm concerned, if there are PvP specific enhancements and skills like that, I will be sure to have PvP disabled. I want no part of that and will just enjoy the Role Playing Game without the occasional rumble in the wilderness.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

This is New Britannia , not the Old Britannia. Part of the New Britannia Empire with the capital being Brittany. Isn't it?

Keira Of CODB, The One and Time Lord like this.
  5. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I'm just speculating here(based off what we were told), but crafting has different stages.

1st, refine raw materials (ore to ingots)
    2nd turn materials into items used for crafting (ingots to plates or blades)
    3rd using items to craft items (blades to swords, plates to armor)
    4th there will be a success check here, (damaged item, normal quality, superior quality)
    5th enhance/repair item. (optional)
    6th Alchemists can then further enchant items. (optional)

At what point materials earned during pvp or gathered in pvp areas will enter in the crafting can be at any point in those 6 steps.

My assumption is that it would be just like crafting a regular pve item, but now you need the addition of pvp materials to this to add on a pvp effect.

From the description earlier on these enhancements, they'll be things that improve stealth vs players, reduced damage to equipment from players. things like that. Not damage improvements.

Time Lord and rild like this.
  6. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

WOW CHECK THIS OUT!!!

I still think PvP should be optional in SotA because that's what they promised from the beginning, but take a look at this quick article from Pathfinder Online's Open PvP sandbox world. These guys are right on when they talk about PvP philosophy. They aren't afraid of people not using their best gear etc. This is how a PvP system should be developed!!!

Check it out:

Let PvP into your hearts -- Pathfinder Online

Caska DiFumarate likes this.
  7. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

That PvP philosophy is fundamentally in conflict with a story driven game. Unless the story is centered around PvP, which in SotA's case it is not, PvP must be restricted so that PvP does not break the story.

That does not say that one philosophy is better than the other. It simply says which part of the game is protected, the story over the sandbox vs the sandbox over the story.

Mishri and Time Lord like this.
  8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Choices We Have to Make or Be Imprisoned By;

Fluid or Fixed Boundaries;
    Here we have a very good example of how a changing system of boundaries would operate. No matter if we choose this system as an ever changing boundary for the PK, or PvP or anything, these same principals of interaction will be present within many other ways throughout our new Britannia whether or not they are programed in or not, because similar things in all of life take on the patterns of what we see here. This applies to thing like personal interactions and flows of any system, because all this video represents, is a system that has rules that are followed. Thus by changing any of the rules that govern it's behavior, a new set of moving patters evolves.
    All of the Map, of All of new Britannia belongs to All of it's people.
    Without such a fluid constantly changing boundary used within our map... "We are then stuck like chuck by using fences by fixed boundaries"

An Open World System of Free Range of Movement and Thus Free Exploration For All; (Industrialization & The PK)...
    In a world of choice, Timmons would be alive with only those things in his backpack... and the mules, with the wagon, would belong to those that could take it.
    Anything requiring the use of pack animal or additional transport, should be considered "industrial" by it's nature and should only be safe if there is a PvP to defend it.

Here we see Timmons the PvE with no PvP intent, yet having a "boon of industrial merchandise" and as such must be carried by industrial means, which draws the PK to take it. If the PK is allowed to roam free with no boundaries, then Timmons should have known that what he could not carry on his body or in his backpack could never have been safeguarded because he is not a combatant to be able to defend it.
    Anything that could be considered industrial, should take more than one person, or at least a PvP ready player to defend it.
    The full benefit and map of New Britannia, should be able to be shared by all.

Just some easy suggestions,
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

9. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

The problem with having an EFFECTIVE justice system in a video game such as the one you describe is that it won't be FUN. In order to work as a punishment, the punishment must be sufficiently NOT-FUN to make people not want to do the FUN thing they are being punished FOR. However, people play these games exclusively for FUN. So if a punishment exists that is EFFECTIVE, it will by necessity put the punished players into a profoundly NOT-FUN experience. This will lead to diminished player base. You might think that's ok, but actually, as it costs the game company players and cash, and depopulates the game world, it spreads its NOT-FUN around, hitting all of us. Furthermore, those who were punished could legitimately claim that their play style is being oppressed.

Now, when you consider the consequences of this from the perspective of a game developer who does NOT favor one play style over another, punishing up to half of their player base with endless waves of NOT-FUN until they agree to give up the FUN that motivated them to play in the first place is a great way to end up out of business.

It DOES complicate matters that letting the aforementioned group run rampant would constitute exactly this kind of punishment to the OTHER HALF of the player base, which is why the selective multiplayer system is being developed, and it is why PvP has a TOGGLE. The tiny minority of players who actively NEED everyone else to be forced to PvP whether they like it or not are exposed to a half-assed, and quite possibly ineffective punishment in that their fervent wish to grief is denied. Those few who choose to leave simply because they cannot bully every character in the game won't be missed, and those PvP enthusiasts who stay will find themselves embroiled in a long and bitter battle against other PvP enthusiasts, periodically visited by "on the fence" players, plot development events, and gerbils.

Does that make sense?

10. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

ONE thing is FOR sure it dosen't MAKE more SENSE to TOGGLE caps lock oN noFF RanDomlY :p

Nice post time lord, really... thats exactly how I think... we shouldn't focus on the freakin griefers but rather on the clever thief who passed by all this action with an ingot he got off the wagon before the bandits chimed in, and most importantly before the miner realised... haha.

No kidding, some of you sound like broken records...

Malak, even you in a way... the guy comes with a crude example, and you'll give him intention and jury ? I can think of dozens of ways to make fun punitions for bandits... and I'm not really digging...

Time Lord likes this.
  11. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

We can ask the same question of the PVE in this game! Why do you have so much more and still complain about PVP, when you can totally avoid it all together????[/quote]

Time Lord likes this.
  12. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Statements like that is contradictory of the reason SoTA went backer sponsored! Instead of company only investment! They said they want to build a game all of us want with things all of of us propose, they had a guide line at the start but things have changed since the very first guide lines, we can jump now! I as PVP asked for it as well as alot of PVE and we got it from saying hey this would be fun, the avatars were not going to be able to run or swim, now they do from input of all of us that backed SoTA. I really hate seeing statements like this when the facts are right there in plain site! This is what chases most people away saying :It Doesn't matter what you think! (Thats the "Rocks" saying by the way in WWE)
    In reality it does matter what all of us want! Not just you or me but US as a whole we all paid into this game and we all are just as passionate no matter what side of the fence we are on Yes it does matter!

Ahuaeynkgkxs and Time Lord like this.
  13. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

ALL of a sudden blaquerogue appears out of the woodwork! "hold up now!"

Time Lord likes this.
  14. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

When I played in UO, and i played from start to just recently per/mo. As a PVPr we had other PVPr's attack us! Pvpers have no problem attacking each other, its actually invited, being PVP. Just that the difference between us and ones that complain about it, is we fought back, sometimes in numbers sometimes alone. those people, most of the PVE in here call Pkrs and grievers! We had roll play, one guild was good the other evil the evil guild did bad things we hunted them, they hunted us and tried to ruin stuff for us. But the difference between us and Most PVE pn here is we didn't let what they said or do effect our game play, or make us quit. We simply went back and got revenge you win some and you lose some, but over all we had fun doing that while all you PVE stayed in Trammel, most people left UO for bigger and better games, but after 17 to 20 some years, they had an excellent sandbox. we could create and we didn't have to follow the story if we didn't want too. some of us never did any quest lines because we were having fun without them, and could still play without them. Most quest lines were for crafters anyhow, not what interested me, but i did have crafter friends in fel that i would go with to protect, they were not fighters and depended on me and my friends to guard them, in turn we depended on them to make stuff for us. That is a typical example of PVE and PVP working together so it is possible!

15. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Werent you a Dreadlord because you used poison? and Fencing or was a rogue or warlock?

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Sounds like restricted PVP is going to be a part of SOTA, which reminds me of Trammel and most UO Vets can agree that was the beginning of the end. Running from town to town dodging highwaymen or running across a player run village that was protected by it's members was freedom. UO set an amazing standard for freedom in online games and the industry has been running from it ever since. We the people are tired of shackles, we want freedom. If player killers are a problem, let players create quests to finish them off. Be creative not restrictive. Let players play as the monsters at the cost of owning houses. Also, full loot! Loosing items is natural, makes you think. Do you equip yourself for maximum survivability and risk loosing it all? Also, makes crafting crucial. I just thought I would remind everyone that being able to move and interact with your surroundings was only half the freedom that we enjoyed. I was very close to pledging... Restrictions to PVP is the only reason I haven't.

Trammel: limitation to freedom: something that limits a person's freedom
    Talmanes, May 2, 2014
    Well? What else is there to say Sir blaquerogue? o_O
    "Time Lord the Prophet";)!
    That same person now has many likes and of his 49 posts now 39 of which are right here in this thread, he's "brilliant"!
    ~Time Lord~:D

17. digitallyjinxed

digitallyjinxed Avatar

Personally the reason I am not a fan of being able to toggle off PVP is, it takes all risk out of the game. I have seen it time and time again and with the ability to toggle off pvp it will happen in this game as well. Players will simply toggle off PVP then develop a bot that will AFK mine for them. before you know it the market of whatever they are mining is totally flooded. In UO i used to seek out these type of players. If i saw somebody mining i would talk to them, I would inform them that I suspect them of AFK mining and if they still didn't respond, I would kill them.

18. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

What if your PVP family and friends get attacked? what will you do being PVE? That doesnt seem like playing together, and it wouldnt be fair if you could heal him, and pvp couldnt attack you back. Thats the only issues i see with being either or. Its also one reason why i pick PVP so i can go after them if they do attack my friends with my friends!

19. digitallyjinxed

digitallyjinxed Avatar

That is a simple fix honestly. If you heal/bless/assist a player that is flagged PVP.... it would autoflag you PVP

20. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

In an Open and Free World of Choice; Or in PK Specific Areas; (*note: those areas should move around for very good reasons of free access for all)

If a PK (criminal) come to a place where there is a PvE who has a pack animal, there's nothing the PvE should be able to do about the PK killing his pack animal and taking the industrial boon. Thus if weight limits are applied, then all within the dead pack animal becomes not only the prize, but now the PK is also faced with the consequence of trying to transport the boon back to wherever he does his commerce. Thus this also provides the chance of the PvP/PK hunter to try and engage the PK who is also now encumbered by the needed transport. Too many times have we seen that the pack animal is only an automated wheel barrel, where it can magically "Recall" with the player. In this world's example of instance, there is no way to recall with a pack animal or pack burdened animal or any piece of non attached property. Thus Taming is effected by way of any combat animal being able to carry anything. Fighting animals and those used for beasts of burden therefore become different and no longer a dual functional animal. After all, you can't expect any animal carrying anything to be in any real combative assistance. Even the War Elephant has a dismal history of failure and could carry very little but a couple/2 passengers very slowly for only short distances. Thus those fighting animals should have a "very tiny backpack" ;)

If not a free and open world where all of these things can happen, then the areas of the PK should move around because surely the King's Men or the PvP could easily wipe such a place out of existence. Thus is proposed within this system of PK fenced or enclosed areas, they should move from one side of a road to the other. This allows the road to become cut off and also the NPC informant group to be able to better attract all players into their use. "The Black Hills are dangerous now" or "The Meadow or road is not safe" etcetera... Thereby every area becomes accessible to all, and the NPC becomes the focal point of information and news and everyone has a chance in access to all the map, just not all the time without some risk. That goes for whether or not a pack animal can be recalled with or not, because the spirit of this thread is finding ways to have everyone, get everything, they want... but maybe baring some risks involved, if you want everything all the time, or wish to ignore the advice of the NPC. o_O

PvP should be able to have free range of wherever, with no restrictions because they are not PK. Because whether or not the PK is in or out of a PK area, the PK and PvP have every privilege to engage each other, without any restriction or rules mentioned above applying to them. :D

But if a PvE is within the PK area it becomes;
    (very unlike the situation of poor Timmons mentioned in previous post, in this case, he would just walk away with what he has inside his backpack)o_O
    Thus the following example of;

"Stand and Deliver"

This has been a public service message is brought to you by;
    "The PK Preservation Society of New Britannia"
    (Bringing People Together)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.