Oh Look! Someone's Doing a Justice System!

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Fireangel, May 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

Why can't we (Shroud of the Avatar) - ?

Exploring ArcheAge - E3 Trailer (0:44)

2. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Player drive justice.... I dont know. XD >:)

Time Lord likes this.
  3. 3devious

3devious Avatar

It will probably be a kangaroo court but I bet it will be entertaining.

4. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Any of you can spend 10 mins downloading Space Station 13, logging on to any RP server (like Baystation 12) and attending to a court meeting...oh, they don't do them anymore on Baystation 12. Why? Cause it's a waste of time and a kangaroo court, as someone mentioned above.
    Courts are good if the participants feel like it, but by no means on a regular basis in a MMORPG.

*BUT*
    If it's somehow present in the game mechanics, that could be a bit different...
    for example someone betrays his guildmaster. People gather, the judge opens the Justice Menu, selects the option Court, then choses the people who will be participating and assigns roles.
    Then after they are done, Judge selects the type of punishment from the menu, the other people click "Agree" and it's done.

For example "Public disgrace" - the criminal gets a debuff to stats upon entering a city, NPCs set higher prices for him, some NPCs don't talk to him, etc.

Sounds good, but it depends a lot on the implementation...if it's done wrong it will be a burdensome system disliked by even the most hardcore players.

Ravenclaw [BEAR] and Time Lord like this.
  5. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

@TemplarAssassin - Honestly, I do not think that I want a Player driven Justice System at all. I want a game mechanics Justice System, done right. I was just tickled pink that some game Devs are attempting some kind of Justice System! I sure wish that we (Shroud) would, and that we would get it right.

Why? So many reasons. These have been laid out in other long, detailed Threads.

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

7. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

Have we heard we're NOT getting some sort of a justice system at some point?

Bodhbh Dearg and Time Lord like this.
  8. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

Personally I'm not huge on a complex justice system in an RPG and like the way Skyrim did it. If you kill a commoner or attack guards, you get approached and have to pay a big fine or your a$$ is thrown in jail. End of story lol

Heradite, Lana Rhiane and Time Lord like this.
  9. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

@Phredicon - I hope so! All I see so far is the 'Current PvP Thinking Thread', which isn't really innovative. I still hold out hope for something great eventually. :)

10. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Yes, that approach works well in a single-player game. I remember getting thrown in jail in both Oblivion and Skyrim, and they were quite entertaining experiences.

However, I recall they also had the ability to simply "serve your time" by accelerating time and bypassing any rather boring "waiting around while twiddling your thumbs" time. Such a mechanic would be rather difficult to manage in a multi-player environment.

There was also that wonderful ability to reload from your last save point if you accidentally broke the law, and had not intentionally meant to get thrown in jail. I can see naive players being goaded/tricked into breaking the law by the less reputable of our community, and souring the experience.

----

It's pretty difficult to make a decent justice system that actually works and is enjoyable.

Archeage has put considerable effort into their system, even setting aside an entire portion of their game-play for those who want pursue such.

There is a nice write up on how the system works in the Korean version of the game here, if anyone is interested : http://archeagesource.com/topic/1123-archeage-the-criminal-system-crime-court-prison-pirate-cbt5/

11. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

^ Good points on the Skyrim justice system. I didn't get into much detail, but you also had the third option to fight them and if you won, you could escape from the town or area scott free. The downside there, is there would be a bounty on your head, so returning to that town was not an option for a long while. Also, sometimes you'd get the occasional bounty hunter tracking you down in the wild trying to collect on the bounty. I was randomly attacked a few times from such an ordeal!

I just thought Skyrim implemented a simple but fun system that provided entertainment and was not too over the top. No need for courts, judges and different sentences etc etc, this is not Judge Judy, its an RPG ;)

Time Lord and NRaas like this.
  12. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Dang, I never tried that approach. I'll have to go back one of these days and replay that game. :)

13. 3devious

3devious Avatar

OMG, my mental image of her yelling at someone for being upset about getting ganked and then dry looted would be hilarious. She probably would be all over the whole consent issue and yelling at both sides until she finished telling those who wanted open PvP were sick and then mention that videogames are a waste of time... goodbyeeeeeeeee!

I don't think they'll be able to cause anything meaningful in behavior mindfulness because everyone is coming at it from a different place and for different reasons. I am excited to see what possibilities they explore and I hope that it is more than detailing out your prison gang/seedy network.

Bodhbh Dearg and Time Lord like this.
  14. Dhimmi

Dhimmi Avatar

while i like their system i still think a basic system works the best. you kill someone you get a bounty on your head if you keep killing unjustly the bounty increase making the game incremental harder ( as you need to be more careful)

Celestial Knight and Time Lord like this.
  15. Andrew Knightowl

Andrew Knightowl Avatar

I am with Lord British (Justice be served off with there head ()Bounty Hunter :)

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

17. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

Why can't we? Because people like me will pretend to be quite reasonable, and when it is time to hand out justice we won't use the feather boa to whip you with we will use the right hand of god.

Fair and balanced terror you can believe in? Yes we can.

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  18. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I think a justice system in a traditional Open PvP game like Archage is fine. I think having a choice to opt out puts PvP more in line with a war or a competition and less in line with a crime.

Good to see you back InsaneMembrane!

I'm pretty sure someone from Archage has been reading our forums. It may be a coincidence but I saw something I described over a year ago in a post on ships and epic sea monsters.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  19. wmidgard

wmidgard Avatar

that woud be so broken.
    big guilds ( or guild alliances )woud be abel to do watever thy wantid.
    thy have the numbers to swing the vote whitchever way thy want .
    its olso broken a bit but i woud rather see the LoL system used for someting like that .
    every day you where abel to judge 10 cases that where pettitiond .
    coud go from griefing/trashtalking/sabotaging your own team/....
    you where abel to see the players thyr kill/death/assist and the gear thy bought and olso the chat logg of the game .

biggest advantidge was that it was random so you coud not go vote not guilty if your guildleader got pettitiond.

20. Minchi

Minchi Avatar

I rather have lord British and dark Starr as the guardians of justice than player justice system because they can be corrupted so easy with gm powers o.o

Efilnikufesin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.