What PvP Players can look forward to

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by enderandrew, Feb 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Under the "Current Thinking", parties will inherit the PvP flagging of their leader. One can therefore party with PvP and non-PvP players, but you will be forced to play under the Leader's ruleset for the duration (Leader is PvP enabled, all party members are automatically PvP enabled as well).

Personally, I find this approach quite enticing. Allowing me to engage in PvP combat by partying with PvP enabled players on some days, and then playing non-PvP on other days. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  2. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Thats when the others chime in and tell ya that even just seeing you guys have PVP during their wonderfully peaceful PvE adventure will ruin their fun.

If they only hear mention of it, they will quit the game and it will be like...

it will be like they never were here...

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Got a link to one person saying they wish to never see a person flagged for PvP?

Ned888, Time Lord and Silent Strider like this.
  4. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Never saw this.

Unless you mean PvE players saying that if they can ever be attacked by another player they will leave the game. I'm one of those, if I can ever be attacked by a player without having opted to it, I'm out.

I've seen the opposite plenty of times, though. PvPers that say that, if they can see anyone they can't attack, it will ruin their experience. Part of why I actually defend that players "flagged" for PvP should only see other players flagged for PvP, and vice versa.

5. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I believe that is quite clear to anyone that's read even a small portion of the available information with the least bit of comprehension.

I have no problem with having PvP players in game, or in my presence, or even fighting a pitched battle around me, and may even enjoy witnessing such, on my consistent and single condition that I not be forced to particilate. I've certainly never asked to be completely segregated from the PvP players, though many of the PvP players wish to never see an unflagged player.
    In brief, I think you have it backwards... the PvP enthusiasts are the ones petitioning for complete segregation.

6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Just a dash of cynism as I usually have... but yea thanks guys its reassuring...

:(

I'm not petitioning btw, and I know what you mean but thats the problem...

PvE says they don't care, they'll play offline if necessary, and not in response to a question they're asked... in response to ideas that might maybe only be considered in the far future.

PvP says they care alot, cause they don't wanna work on their character and then end the story mode and end up with only trophies and points and finally noone around cares who you are.

You have to see the imbalance here before we can argue !

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I've never said I would play offline. I enjoy the sense of community in playing with other people, and having the ability to, and possibility of making new friends and building new communities of them. Which isn't possible in Offline, or Friends Only Online, which has been a common suggestion from the PvP enthusiasts for PvE players.
    I've also never expressed an opinion on what the details of how PvP should exist in SotA beyond my one requirement that I be able to opt out.
    I've also never expressed any desire to have PvP removed from my sight, another common request of the PvP community in reference to the PvE community.
    I've always supported the inclusion of PvP in SotA and think it would be a lesser game without it.

Yet I'm accused of being unreasonable and imbalanced.

Ned888, Noctiflora and Time Lord like this.
  8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

9. Talmanes

Talmanes Avatar

I think it also helps to keep in mind that we will have instances of each hex with only 60 people (possibly more), so we will not see everyone anyway and a key component like open pvp is a natural filter.

Thanks for the link TL.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Um no. I'm the one who told you it was that way from the start over and over.

Ned888, Silent Strider and Time Lord like this.
  11. redfish

redfish Avatar

I'm not a PvE player.

12. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Are we considered a PVE player if we will occasionally play the pvp instances? I think that was some way to discredit what we are saying or shed us in some different light....not sure why he said that to be honest.

I had to tell him that was how it worked over and over.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

We all PvE. You are not PvE-Only. I think that there are only a few on each side of the "Only" fence.

14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"Remember the Alamo"!

They may be out dated terms from what I'm taking from those vids... unless you are an offline player only.

The more I think about it, young Richard Garriott grew up in Texas, so I know his culture and what he and every other child "had to learn" about Texas History. One of my own Uncles worked for NASA with the trajectories for the Mercury Mission and I too went through my schooling there in Texas and "every Texan" was taught all about the Alamo. Then there are those references he makes to contraband making it from one point to another in our world and sieges on castles....

So, being from where he came from.... and knowing the Alamo and the boarder with Texas shares with Mexico... we could see quite a ride that has very little differences between a PvP and PvE player... because as with the Alamo and Texas, lines of combatants and non-combatants were "Very Blured" o_O

I think there's no surrender here...
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

15. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Not even me... I'm open to the possibility of Occasionally playing PvP, but will reserve judgement until I see what the Devs and the PvP community come up with and then decide what parts, if any, I wish to participate in.

Noctiflora, acrylic_300 and Time Lord like this.
  16. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

For my part, I tend to use PvE player to mean those players that want to have control over when they engage in PvP, regardless of how often they do it; and PvPer to mean those that want to always be open to PvP.

I do this as a parallel to how PvP and PvE servers typically work in other MMOs; PvP servers are those where the player has no control over when he engages in PvP, while PvE servers give players that control.

(And the different nomenclature — PvE players versus PvPers — is just because, while PvPer sounds cool to my ear, PvEer sounds ridiculous.)

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Talmanes

Talmanes Avatar

No disrespect intended, judging by words (ie, Redfish #542, rune #543) as actions have yet to come.

Time Lord, when I hear RG's plans I don't worry about the quality of this game. My question is will other devs/backers try to keep him from designing the game he wants to design. When you hear what is laid out in the forums and the "promises" set in stone it (No "Don't Lawyer me, Bro"?) sounds like a different game then what he describes in interviews. RG isn't a Game Maker he is a World Creator, let him make his world cause his legacy is on the line (and the only reason this game stands a chance at success). I'd like to be able to give advice on specific ideas to try to make them work, like what he described in uo about the time spent on the grass, goats and wolves. Was that idea bad? NO, IT IS GOLD. Did it work? No, but the industry has decided the fix is to have spawns that appear out of nowhere at set times. I would have approached the fix by throttling the wolf AI to make the struggle for resources more realistic (roaming fast moving packs with assault and retreat tactics). The reason developers have so many balancing issues is due to the complexity of nature and how difficult it is to incorporate that into a game world. Starvation makes predators more aggressive and changes there tactics to allow for more risk than if food was in abundance. If you noticed in UO, there was also a fleeing tactics when low life which AI can now improve upon. Killing AI shouldn't be a cake walk, take the AI's gloves off. I wonder how much of the grief was due to low quality AI that reduced player dependency on each other, if AI was a threat outside of civilized areas more would have to play in those areas and follow the rules. We need to hear RG's ideas and possibly give advice to see if they can be tweaked and work. He might want to hire some teenagers cause no one will find a weakness in a design faster.

18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

19. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

It amazes me how this empty chair can be intimidating for you guys, maybe I should really stay hidden. Maybe this pseudo-success ; parabolic half-fame is all there is to it.

Noone really feels like asking old Ahu anymore : what he thinks then is "unrestricted PvP" but "meaningful PvP"... well for starters to stay on topic whilst still discussing forum-style I'll just say that to apply any of my future ideas for SotA we would need a brand new siege-perilous type server, so don't get on your high horse yet (obviously) cause I'm just laying down one seed right here, just to fairly show and share what I received albeit indirectly from our Great Lord and King Gariott, who then in turn received it from...

For those of you who say thou shall not cast your pearl before swine, well I've warned you and this is no pearl and you've had plenty, I mean plenty of time to prevent me from talking, thence agreed upon silence I prod forward with thine own intense fulfilled agony as a make-up shield for my own recursive woes. My dreams be broken if I lie from thence on, for this is the age of honor where brothers stand together to uncover the truths of our purpose in new britannia.

The zodiac represents the archetypal laws that shape our life here on Earth. Whenever the Sun is in a sign, we pay conscious attention to that aspect of life. When the Moon is in a sign, our emotions are engaged with the activities of that sign. At a Full Moon, opposite signs and their issues are brought together for us to reflect on their meaning and their effect on us.

In my view, the new perilous-type shard should present a "magically" super-charged Avatar everyday, but with significant consequence on death that last until the next real earth day. The penalty should be very unfair and unforgiving, especially for mages and also wielding magic weapons and armor... the character should become weak and only be useful for ordinary jobs and minor adventuring.

This is really the only way to prevent ugly anti-roleplay type scenarios where friends use ICQ :p to create a recalling scheme allowing them return to battle ground under a minute, type aberations. You would still be able to play other portions, and thus really learn to value life and consequences for your actions. Of course a long term boost in luck and other semi-intangible benefits to those who have been in harms way and survived for a long time, especially in easy to calculate situations such as guild warfare and other fun features :) Accordingly, griefing behavior should inversely affect luck and bestow other semi-intangible long term curses without completely removing liberty of action from any player. The curses need to include the ease to be "tracked" by advanced magical means... being identified from forensic evaluation etc... etc... I'm sure you guys can picture where I'm coming from.

So yes, I think differently, much differently... as an emissary I'd probably play both servers... since I will like to decorate my house and explore all the fine content as it unfolds too, you can guess I'm very happy with devs and the way my questions are being handled ! My pledges can only get bigger !!!

Maeryck and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.