For all the PvP players, what (if anything) would make you explore PvE?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Xi_, Apr 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

PvP players play for competition. Rules can make competition better. To a PvPer, a Civilization type game is still PvP even though many of the paths to victory aren't even combat oriented.

The frustration with PvE is generally around have only one way "right" to do something. As long as you have some competition with many different levels to outplay and outthink, there can be a large number of PvE elements within the competition.

Fighting some random dual for no reason is no more interesting than fighting a mob for no reason.

2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Not sure how it would be possible to be more condescending.

3. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Usually I'm more diplomatic, but I keep a serpent's tongue handy.

Unconstructive sentiment such as 'good riddance' for a differing viewpoint is unwelcome and warrants such condescension.

Sent from my EVA Unit-01 using Tapatalk

4. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

It would only be condescending IF you are the type of player that can only enjoy the game if you are allowed to attack unwilling players. If you can enjoy PvP without that then the point of the good riddance is not directed to you.

5. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Care for a game of Dwarf Fortress? Don't Starve? Battletoads or Megaman 2, if you are feeling old school? :p
    Or perhaps you are more a fan of Team Fortress 2, or Planetside 2, or perhaps Super Smash Bros or Super Street Fighter IV?
    I have no issues with difficulty. In fact, if the game can't kill me from time to time, I tend to find it boring. I also have no issues with fully consensual PvP. My issue is merely with non-consensual PvP, which I will simply not engage in at all.

When it comes to avoiding non-consensual PvP, yeah, I'm intransigent nowadays. Never hidden it or downplayed it.
    About new experiences: I've been experimenting with different genres and play styles since Pong and the Atari. Any genre or play style I say I don't like, it's very likely because I've experienced it first hand and disliked it.

BTW:
    This exactly. If someone wants to engage in PvP all the time, and is happy playing PvP with and against other players that also want to engage in PvP, I want him to find what he wants and be happy with the game.

The ones that I would prefer gone are the ones that can only be happy attacking players that don't want to engage in PvP, and from the fact the devs have been saying from the start that PvP is by consent only, I guess the devs also don't want to cater to that kind of player.

Xandra7, rune_74 and MalakBrightpalm like this.
  6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Buy did you ever miss the point of his post. Posts like this make me want to avoid players with these types of views. It comes across really bad, sorry if that's not how you meant to be.

7. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

Not sure? :) But hey, I did contribute slightly didn't I. Didn't come here to just troll like some...

blaquerogue likes this.
  8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    "New Britannia's Got it All"
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

9. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Its not something for you to worry about, since you dont like PVP! ') We can deal with that! Since we are PVP, not everyone is a good PVPr, at least i can respect other peoples play style with out criticism! He wants to be a murderer of noobs, fine i want to be a hunter of people like him, so here in PVP land we are good with that its nothing new! Like i said, and SoTA says, you dont have to worry about it if you dont want to flag PVP!

10. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

And if you Silentstrider, Duke Gréagóir and Noctiflora teamed up in PVP, he probably wouldn't be able to beat you guys! You would also be able to make him eat those words/threats!

11. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Personally i hated all the Ultimas! I loved UO! Sure thats my opinion, I was playing Phantasy Star on the Sega I think that's what it was on? it was much better In my opinion!

12. Artariel

Artariel Avatar

Too sad people still think that open PvP supporters are fighters, duellers, griefers. Pfff.

blaquerogue likes this.
  13. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

UO Actually DID have a story line!

in fact it had many in the form of quests you would pick up from Quest Givers (sometimes I wonder if people just heard one person say it wasnt good and thats all they needed to hear,to come to a conclusion on it! It is obvious that alot of people never played it at all or past getting ganked the first time!) Its a shame but there are people out there that missed a good experience, sometimes you need to team up with other people or explore more, but i also understand that its much easier to just quit! :) As much as i want to quit this game right now i will play it and see what i can find in it that caters to me personally.

14. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I think to entice a PvP lover i think the PvE must be part of the PvP Mission.

The PvP player needs comparison - skill, points, land , people who admire him , fame

These comparisons can be combined wiht PvE

PvP --> PVE Idea 1.

PvP player PrimeRip wins the duel in the Arena of New Britannia.

To become part of the legendary Arena Fighters he now may place the skulls, ears on the shrine of Battle in New Britannia - this will wake up the Demon God of War in the Mountains of Doom.
    He has lived a live of boredom and the only joy that is left is a fight eye to eye.

After PrimeRip has placed enough body parts of the PvP players he has killed on the shrine the Demon God of War will show up .

The PvP player has to leave town to challenge him on the mountain of Doom.
    As this will extremly hard he may take some friends with him. Up to 7.

This final PvE battle will grant him the chance to get him one part of the Demons of Doom armor and also his name written on the wall of the Arena.

The PvE players who assist him will also have a chance to get special rare loots, but not from the armor of the Demon of War.

PK --> PvE Idea

I think Predator needs to jump in for that.

A PK may find himself in a strange situation. The more famous he becomes the more he becomes himself a target of a Hunter Race .. but not from this planet.

He will notice that the more Murders he has done the more he will find himself in battles with these very suprising and sneaky aliens. He feels hunted himself.

He will PvE against them and successfully kill them.. he is good PK afterall.

But the more fame he gets as an evil PK on new Britannia, and the more times he achieves to defend himself in PvE against those Hunter Predator Aliens the harder it gets.

Until one day either he defeats the last final Hunter of the most famous Predators or becomes fudder and another trophy of them.

So he PK´s but also has PvE. :)

Ok. Thats it.

Maybe i fail completly about what all mean with PvP to PvE interaction. But i think it all ends up about how to create a quest or mission about it.
    Else we can all keep the boring MagicPvPSlider , if creativty fails.

15. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Here's the thing: I've done both, and I prefer the freedom to engage whenever I wish.

So, no, I don't think that I've missed his point. Both conditions apply to me. I enjoy attacking people at random. Hence, I was wished, 'Good riddance.'

[quote="Silent Strider, post: 179642, member: 14367] Unless you mean you can't roleplay an "evil" character without being able to attack an unwilling player. In which case I will have to say, good riddance.[/quote]

In UO and Eve (as a modern example), attacking anyone is fair game. I did it often. I still do.

I'm not convinced that there's such a thing as 'non-consensual PvP' in an open PvP game. I think that a lot of people use that term as a crutch for a variety of reasons. If you install and subscribe to an online game that has open PvP... you've consented. You are willing.

Therefore, Silent Strider's especially negative comment applies to me.
    Why? What did I do? Enjoy the game within the boundaries of its mechanics? Steal a boat or twelve? Stick a trapped crate on a dragon's corpse? Countless others have done the same.

[quote="Silent Strider, post: 179642, member: 14367] If a player's enjoyment of the game depends on hurting the experience for others — which is what I always assume to be the case when a player says he can't enjoy the game if he can't attack unwilling victims ...[/quote]

There's a reason that these aged shards have been preserved via UOGateway amd Razor: people enjoy that element of the game. There are players who enjoy being killed because it gives them something to talk about. It gives them another goal to work toward.

Individuals are tantalized by the thought of encountering pirates on the high seas, half-orc shaman outside of Cive, and all the footpads inbetween. If someone jumps them and loots their muffins, so be it.

The kicker? Where there's no disrespect, these players sometimes even get along.

No matter the playstyle, what people don't enjoy is being ostracized for playing the game creatively. It's sad that a large portion of this community allows blatant insults like 'Good riddance' and numerous backhanded ones fly so long as they're directed against someone who promotes open PvP.

[quote="Silent Strider, post: 179642, member: 14367] — then I sincerely think that the game as a whole will be better without that aggressive player.[/quote]

'Love it or leave it'? 'Good riddance'?

That sentiment, especially in a crowdfunded, crowd-driven game, is intolerable. The devs asked everyone what they expect from PvP. I voiced my opinion: that I would love full world, mandatory open PvP. I'll vouch for it because I think that it can be made in such a way that it works well for all.

Still, I'll settle for a filter. Flags are out.

blaquerogue likes this.
  16. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

I dig the thought behind these ideas. Not a fan of aliens, so much... Bounty hunters, bandits, and other unsavory types? Yeh! Cool.

17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

This isn't an every in open pvp game...so you can't attack the unwilling so your very long explanation is moot.

Silent Strider likes this.
  18. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

OPO is such a confusing term. Does it mean that I'm supposed to play SotA like Morrowind/Oblivion or like Ultima Online? Should I fight for a purpose like we did in UO, or should I fight for the joy of battle like people do in Super Smash Bros Melee. Perhaps I'm not supposed to commit to combat at all and should instead focus on crafting and merchanting?

Maybe it means all of those playstyles are welcome?

On a side note, "fossilized" would be more accurate a term than "preserved" when discussing the role of freeservers in maintaining UO as we remember it.

19. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Hah! Yes!!

It could the official fossil of New Brittania!

20. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Who says I'm complaining? You consistantly apply attributes like that where they really have no reason to be there. I'm perfectly happy with the system the way it is. It seems a lot of open world PVP players are not.

I was responding to that long explanation that didn't pertain to the way the game is setup here, you may have missed the few page long posts.

Honestly, it gets really tiring this back and forth when it is already setup to play that way.

Obviously we have different tastes...I mean REALLY different tastes if you hated the old ultimas and thought UO had a great storyline.

Ned888 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.