1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

PVP & Death: Current Thinking Megapost

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Hard core = less people participating = the opposite of what you want in a system with positive network effects, like PvP.
    Which is why most games have much lower death penalties for PvP than PvE.

2. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

2 servers plz !

One Full Open Savage Wild PvP + Full Loot

One PvE whit restricted PvP

Everyone HAPPYYYYYYY !

3. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

You already know it won't be two servers...they have been over and over this...

Time Lord likes this.
  4. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Contrary to what certain people think, I still feel that this community is too small to be glad that anyone is gone. That monk who seems to think someone should be kissing their feet for us to let them back in our little treehouse is really the root of the problem. Really? We need them! Keep pushing everyone away and no one will want to play with half of you. It's fine that you want your own little cubby holes in a networked world (you claim to want friends but most of what you describe are bots that behave how you want them to but seem to have some other player's name attached to them.) Then you have the nerve to talk about consent!

Go ahead and say we're better off but we'll see who's lonely come February. (I'm going to have a collection of my husband's character's trophies to keep me warm, have fun only interacting with other characters in ways that can never hurt your feelings.) It's kind of funny that we're potentially paying someone to break our hearts with a well crafted story yet we're afraid to expose our hearts in any other way.

Time Lord and blaquerogue like this.
  5. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I don't want anyone to leave. I won't however say they can get their way 100% if it goes against what they are trying to do here just so they will stay. If they are unwilling to try or experience what they are trying to do here and are only willing to except being able to attack and kill 100% of the people all the time regardless of what they want, they aren't in line with what the devs planned from the start. I don't think we should change the way the game is being made to make them stay. It was never the plan for it to be that way.

Now, that's not to say they can't have all that in open pvp...I don't really care what they do there. I won't be playing that way. However, I do think people like me and others do have a say in the pvp zones because we want to play there. I mean, you do want us to get involved so let us have our say as well in those zones since those obviously aren't the "hardcore" pvp crowd anyways.

These people rage quiting aren't defensless angels that were chased off...I commend those that stay and try and find a solution instead of taking the easy route.

6. Eli Fox

Eli Fox Avatar

It won't offend me if BIG rewards are given to these PVP Zones. Its not like I'm being told I can't participate-- the choice is mine.

I'm trying to catch up on old interviews. I recently saw where "certain" guilds may be given whole cities.

THERE'S a Reward™ --I will never get!!!

Time Lord and blaquerogue like this.
  7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

IF full loot PvP, then I think we get about the same number of people participating in PvP, but we add the hard core PvPers that would otherwise not play this game. Also those who are compromising to play under this PvP system would be less likely to take off when another game does PvP better.

So I think it will attract more players total for the game, but only about the same number of PvPers (because some of the middle of the road people who were thinking about PvP might just opt out). Then again maybe those middle of the road players might give in, and try it out anyway (which is what usually happens when you play a game a long time, you try all it's features).

Regardless the middle of the road players will be less likely to boycot the game if there was full loot PvP. I'm making that assumption based upon how important PvP is as a feature for certain types of players. Middle of the road players likely don't rate PvP as the top reason for playing SotA, but more hard core PvPers do. Ultimately the goal is to get more players for SotA, not to get more PvPers for SotA. More cash that way. Also if you please the PvPers then they won't be as likely to run off to some other game because it has a better PvP option.

Those are my reasons I think we should tend toward a more "hardcore" style of PvP.

blaquerogue and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  8. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I think the whole game should be "hardcore".

The average player age is around 35-40 years old and started out playing PONG when they were 3 years old, and has hacked a 5 inch floppy or two.

Make a game for the customers you have...not the ones you wish you could have or end up having nothing.

They will eventually follow...that's all they know how to do. Lead them to here, without a yellow exclamation mark. If they can't find it ...they never would have lasted.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  9. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

My definition of hardcore is someone that plays 22 hours a day (2 hours for bio and beer) Guess it's all that perspective thing again.

10. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Ever heard that old saying...Be careful what you wish for, you may just get it? :) I'd be willing to take bets on what the majority of backers' play styles are and I don't think it will be hard core, full loot, pvp.

I don't see why this thread has to turn to so much hostility. It's gotten downright unhealthy.

11. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I'm talking about difficulty level and learning curve. I've played several foreign games lately for the thrill of knowing nothing about the game mechanics. The thrill of learning how to play instead of knowing.

I've never doubted the card combat system...and most of the things I want have only to do with learning.

12. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I don't consider promoting learning unhealthy. I'm willing to bet casual gamers do not want to learn.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Well you added that last paragraph after I posted so no fair. Without that, your post read quite differently and I thought you were agreeing with those saying that everybody and all their friends and relatives and pets will leave the game if the devs don't give in. :)

I agree about the learning part, and no exclamation marks or arrows. Actually having to use our brains. hehe. That's one of the things I love about this game.

Time Lord and Acrylic 300 like this.
  14. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

Maybe we can have a sit at the bar and play a game against each other one day :)

Time Lord and Noctiflora like this.
  15. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

I accept. :)

Time Lord and Acrylic 300 like this.
  16. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I will toss my name into that hat. The game should be challenging across the board. The more detail the more variance in play styles and less cookie cutter.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I definately want a challenging game. There is no reason any of the game can't be challenging.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Challenging in a fair way. That is what I look for in any game I play, to the point I will often add my own personal rules to the games I play (such as pretending, in the Arkham games, that I have no life bar and any hit taken is a life lost).

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Stealthy

Stealthy Avatar

Please give us the ability to PVP in Release 6! Or allow us to kill NPCS for gold like we did on the shore of Skara Brae in UO! Also I have been
    Wondering if you are going to use the "Moonstone" to enter RISKY LANDS OR PLAYER VS. PLAYER living areas? lands like Fel? I remember as a newbie blue players I would always get that eerie feeling and pain in my stomach when I dropped a Fel Stone no matter where I was. The music would change into this hellish evil melody! Everything was rotten and dead including the landscape. In some areas I could not enter my home because it was swarming with packs of monsters or blue players who were camping/hunting me.

Give us that gut feeling Lord Brit! Give us the risk and the potential loss of life and expensive items! It is fine if the reds can’t enter the blue areas. The blues will come for us and hunt us down! This is there adventure! This is how they feel Nobile! Don’t let the blues fool you Lord Brit long live PVP!
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    WW

Ahuaeynjgkxs and blaquerogue like this.
  20. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

First off, way to snip out a quote. That is not even a full sentence. ;)

That is not what I meant. There are people that no longer "post", and for many reasons: not just PVPers. Whether it is because they are upset over PVP (on both sides), combat, lack of single player information, etc. Specifically the "worst offenders" I mentioned were abusive and would most likely still be posted here if they were allowed.

I personally know several people that are inactive on the forums just because of the negative posts in these threads. It is not that they are not happy with the game or sit on a specific side of this issue. It not about being glad about someone people left, but it is good that abusive people no longer post.

My point, in the full post you reference, was we needed to be bigger than perpetuating the negative attitudes. i.e. PVPers need to play a different game or PVEr need to play single player. Otherwise even more people will leave or stop joining just to avoid the toxicity of the environment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.