Match Making mega-thread (Request)

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Ristra, May 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Again, start with the stuff that matters, then worry about the other things.

Given an objective, e.g. a castle, who owns that? A person, a guild, a faction? Why do they want that? How do the mechanics work? Who defends that and who can siege that? Why might I want to defend someone else's castle? Is it siegable all the time, once a week, something more complicated?

Given a hex of land, is it owned by some group? Are there factions with that and is it banded like some faction game: friendly, contested, hostile, etc. Can it change hands? Does the hex load up with some sense of "sides?"

Once the big pieces have been solved, then you can figure out what happens in a hex with no special objective in no special location. tbh, I don't care one way or the other if there's PvP in these places because there's nothing worth fighting over. But I understand that some people do.

Time Lord and Mercyful Fate like this.
  2. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Well, it's still all kinda nebulous, and some things have been taken a few different ways. My own take on it was that there won't be any non-pvp zones for flagged players. So 100% of the map. I'm pretty sure RG said in at least one place that you can even attack other flagged players in towns if you choose to but that the guards "might" react. I kinda took that to mean like maybe they have to actually see you and won't just port across town if a tavern brawl breaks out unless the bartender calls them. Maybe? dunno.

Anyway, the strictly pvp hexes, are the ones where just entering will flag you for pvp, so definitely a pvp-only hex. The way I understood the 5% was that there would always be at least that much of the map that is strictly pvp and there will never be anyone unflagged in that area. It's still freedom city on the rest of the map though with other flagged players. At least that's the interpretation I came away with. I guess we could all be wrong. lol.

For the sorting, yeah, I would think that flag status would be fairly high up on the priority list. I'm really curious though how that's going to work alongside the friends list. Since my impression is that people will be able to put others on their own friends list without the other person having to ok it, I can see where that could cause some potential problems down the road.

Also, for people like me who have friends who pvp-only and pve-only and some who do both at different times. I do think the flag status is important on the list for the pvpers who just don't want to see any non-flagged people, but on the other hand, I think friends should still be higher on the list.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Talmanes

Talmanes Avatar

It doesn't fit into what they are saying. Why even have a Telsa Tower projecting protection if it applies to 95% of the world. If this is the case then there is no balance in pvp/pve and the PVP flag would have to be moved up in the filter priority to balance the 95% of the world not having it.

Open PVP 100% of the map only exists if there are no non PVP players in the instance for flagged players.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Good point. I forgot about the tesla towers and have no idea how those would fit in then. I think you're right that they may not have decided on anything for sure with all this. Otherwise I'm sure they'd have told us by now. Til then we're just all taking our best guesses. :)

Time Lord and Talmanes like this.
  5. Margard

Margard Avatar

The Telsa tower only cover towns/villages/cities

- 5% of dynamic PvP content at all times

- Open PvP 100% everywhere under the following conditions - IF you are in a guild and are at war with another guild ... at some point it may be possible to set your own loop rules (ie full loot)

- There may be a way to flag yourself for open PvP at all times as a single player / but there may be a quest and its a bit unclear what this actually entails or means

That's what we know

Time Lord and rschultzy80 like this.
  6. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

From my perspective I believe that Tesla Towers are protection from mobs being able to invade towns and aren't embedded into PvP. If they are embedded into the background for PvP conflict then the ability for flagged players to attack other flagged players in town wouldn't exist. So Tesla Towers and similar town protection devices are relevant when it comes to where people can PvP.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Margard

Margard Avatar

The Telsa towers are there to set up PvP - if they go down, the city is open to attack and a dynamic instance can start ... not much beyond that at this point

Time Lord likes this.
  8. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I thought the towers weren't about PvP per se but invasions period. I've really been trying not to get into the lore until the book is complete.

Time Lord and NRaas like this.
  9. Margard

Margard Avatar

Its not just about PvP - but its technically - how in the world a town could not be easily attacked / or invaded ... some towns won't have tesla towers which would allow them to be attacked more frequently

Time Lord and Caska DiFumarate like this.
  10. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

What I would hope is a bit different:

- The "real" PvP flag is in the instance. In a PvP instance every player can attack each other, in a PvE instance no player can attack other player.
    - Hexes that are forced PvP only have PvP instances. All others have both PvP and PvE instances, with the player entering the instance that corresponds to his PvP flag.
    - To leave (or enter) PvP mode the player not only has to change his flag somehow, but also leave the hex and enter it again. Since, as far as we know, escaping the hex would mean escaping combat anyway, even if not changing the PvP flag, this would prevent any exploit that uses changing the flag to get out of an ongoing battle.
    - With different instances for PvP and PvE it allows them to be tuned differently. For example, when a meteor strike turns a hex into PvP, the player could get the option to enter the version with the increased resources but forced PvP, or the normal version without the increased resources but also without PvP. It would also allow the PvE version to be tuned harder, to even out the potential difficulty or progression disparity between PvP and PvE.
    - Players with different flags could meet by going somewhere that forces PvP (or that forces no PvP, if such an area exists) or by using other ways (such as the friend list) to assemble groups.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

@Silent Strider what you describe sounds like segregation. Which I believe is not what they want.

Seems to me they want that contested area stuff to impact everyone until it is contained.

12. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Point of order... You're piling speculation on top of speculation on a foundation of rumor based on information that is sketchy at best.

Not that I think it is going to change anything, but I would suggest you all step back and let it rest until you have something solid to work with.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Where's the fun in that.

The point here is what is important to each of us in a Match Making filter.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. rschultzy80

rschultzy80 Avatar

For those of you that actually pay attention to what is going on you know RG wants us all to play together. There is going to be a lot of testing to work through with different ideas. Personally, I'm really looking forward to a lot of what they are talking about. Whether or not it works is a different story and highly reliant on this community being open to trying things that might take them out of their comfort zone. I hope people are at least willing to try it.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

People flagged for open pvp can pvp with others set that way throughout the map.

People not flagged for open pvp can only pvp in the scattered pvp zones which will be scattered throughout the map.

Not sure why this is confusing.

16. Talmanes

Talmanes Avatar

Rschultzy, you'd also notice that there can only be 60 players in a hex instance in the system they have designed. I'm looking forward to what RG and crew has in mind as well, at this point I think we have seen the bare bone don't lawyer me bro version.

Rune, when you put it that way all of our question magically became clear! Thank you for the insight. I know you realize there is more to it than that over simplification.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Hmmm another sarcastic response?

Sure there is more to how it will show who in each hex...but at the end of the day that is the basics of it. You either flag for full open pvp or you don't.

If you don't you can still pvp in hexes that are temporarily pvp....now how will that affect the open pvp guys? unknown at this time....how will the towers affect the open pvp guys? unknown at this time.

We will have to wait and see.

Time Lord and Rufus D`Asperdi like this.
  18. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Actually, I'm not sure allowing PvE players and PvP players to see each other in the same instance is a good idea at all.

The whole thing about going ghost and having what the ghost sees filtered, so he can't tell where the players are, was to prevent ghosts being used as invulnerable spies. This is basically thrown away if PvE players can see PvP players, at least for any hexes that aren't marked as exclusively PvP.

In other words, this kind of temporary segregation might be actually required to avoid some behavior the devs see as exploitive.

I really need to see how it plays out. But I will rather leave the online game and resort to playing exclusively offline than engage in PvP with this kind of motivation, so I really hope that "impact" is not meaningful. To put it bluntly, if playing offline is more interesting and less restricting than playing online while completely avoiding PvP, there is a good chance I won't bother playing online.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I hadn't thought about team speak and placing PvE spies. That would be a definite exploit IF they already consider ghosting to be cheating.

Good call!

Time Lord and Caska DiFumarate like this.
  20. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

That would only be an issue in open PvP as the PvP hexes are PvP only. What is the purpose of open PvP and where would there be a need for spies?

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.