PaxLair Player Town

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Winfield, May 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

[​IMG]
    This is the "discussion home page" for PaxLair in Shroud of the Avatar as the town is developed.
    PaxLair also exists as a Player City (established on January 19, 1998) and Statehood of several cities in Chesapeake, Ultima Online.​

Name: PaxLair
    • SotAWiki Page: PaxLair - this is the main information source now about PaxLair in SotA
    • Land Size: Player Owned Metropolis and Holdfast
    • Type: A Player Town
    Leader: Governor Winfield
    Important Threads:
    About PaxLair in New Britannia:

(( During the SotA pre-game-release period in 2014, PaxLair citizens, friends, and new acquaintances are building a player town in each pre-alpha Release. Anyone can join in the fun. We place houses in a common location, hold gatherings, create some events, and put on some festivals using as much as the Release will allow. ))

PaxLair ("Peace Place") is a Player Town -- not a guild! It is a community of many people, guilds, and establishments tied together by a physical town location in New Britannia. PaxLair is open to treaties, alliances, establishments, guilds, and many people! After all... it's a town! Live there, visit there, be there.​

PaxLair is based on the tenets of Peace, Neutrality, and Role-playing. It is accustomed to living in times of peace and war (( PvP )). PaxLair promotes companionship, crafting, combat, mysticism, lore and legends, libraries, diplomacy, warfare, strategy, and much more. It is led by a governor (Governor Winfield) and a good number of very trusted people who have lived in PaxLair for many years.​

PaxLair is:
    • a town of many people and guilds
    • a vibrant cross-roads on the landscape
    • a market of great taverns, halls, and establishments
    • a cornerstone of prosperity and opportunity
    • a crafting center for products and goods
    • a pathway to culture and knowledge
    • a place to be defended and to launch the offensive
    • a chorus of actors, writers, librarians, and story-tellers
    • a band of adventurers and questers
    • a great group of friends
    • and of course a place anyone can call home!
    PaxLair History - founded in 1998:

PaxLair has a long history before New Britannia. It was founded in Old Britannia (Ultima Online) on January 19, 1998 and quickly became a unique Player Town of more than 300 people across 15+ guilds. It is still very active in Old Britannia with a large alliance, 4 cities (PaxLair grew to a Statehood in Old Britannia), weekly meetings, and many events.​

Get Involved:

Building PaxLair in New Britannia is a great new adventure leveraging 16+ years of player-town experience in Old Britannia PLUS ideas from many people in other realms and communities. PaxLair welcomes all who wish to become citizens, allies, and friends. Existing guilds and establishments are more than welcome! Remember, PaxLair is a town, not a guild.​

Reach PaxLair through the PaxLair Portal or directly contact Winfield or other people of PaxLair. Look for PaxLair in the pre-alpha Releases and become friends!​

While PaxLair in Old Britannia is based on Eastern U.S. Time because it is on and East Coast server (Chesapeake), PaxLair in New Britannia will likely be based on Greenwich Mean Time catering to a "world-wide" citizenship.​

Welcome to PaxLair! Dragonspeed!

2. Winfield

[​IMG]
    Release 5 – Valemark Upper Meadow – Entering the Meadow​

PaxLair and others built a small player town for a few days in Release 5. It was great fun! We want to build a town in each Release and see what can be done.

We enjoyed having a big party at the end of Release 5 with Lord British and many friends.

[​IMG]
    Lord British and many home owners and guests in Valemark Upper Meadow (R5)​

See everyone in Release 6 real soon!

Please reply with any questions and ideas.

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

PaxLair is one of the many things that will make Shroud of the Avatar a special place.

4. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

I didn't realize that PaxLair was not a guild in and of itself. What is that word, 'PaxLair'? I mean, I see your definition as 'Peace Place', but who put the word together in the first place? I'm just wondering.

5. Winfield

PaxLair = Peace Place was coined by one of our founding members in 1998. Thelorn, who was our guild master of "The Band" in Ultima Online, invented the name during one of our town meetings. But the name was not created on Day 1 of our town.

When PaxLair was founded on January 19, 1998 (when the first few buildings were placed in a meadow), the town did not have a name. It was just a group of buildings initially created by a guild called "The Band". Yet within days, several other guilds and people placed houses and the whole area became multi-guild by nature. Our original "The Band" guild continued to have people live in this town while others also joined the town. Most people did not join "The Band" guild and did not leave their own guilds. In fact, the Sillyhood Guild House was placed inside the town too. Within a few months, so many new people showed up because people were just hanging out there. It was also a place to defend against the nasty murderers of those days. So soon people of the town wanted to call the town something.

By that time, we started to discover our own town culture -- to be a crossroads where anyone could come "in peace" without killing each other on sight. It was amazing to see dire enemies sit across a table in the pub having an ale shooting the breeze and not weapons. Some of these enemies had never talked to one another face to face before except through exclamations on the battlefield.

So around March or April 1998, Thelorn came up with the name PaxLair and it stuck. That's how PaxLair got its name.

6. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

Nice. Thanks. A lot of face to face peaceful talks went on inside Kazola's Tavern on the Great Lakes Shard. Many members of our guild, The Burning Heart, met up with our enemies of the 'Bane' guild in a RL gathering. I didn't make it there, but they took pictures, eating and goofing off, and sitting around. It looked like they had great fun.

7. Winfield

For those wanting to see a little bit what PaxLair City looks like in Ultima Online, I made a short video. I only go through some of the areas and buildings quickly, which is why I named the video Tour 1. I plan to create some more details videos. I think our experiences in Ultima Online in such a player town can be useful in SotA.

hegpetz, RDouglas, Waxillium and 15 others like this.
  8. Father Aquila

Father Aquila Avatar

That video is great!!

Time Lord, Noctiflora and Winfield like this.
  9. Father Aquila

Father Aquila Avatar

I would like to live here. Been mulling over my story for the player town fiction thread for a while so I best get to work :)

10. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

The video is amazing. Truly a special moment in gaming history and a great accomplishment in roleplaying.

11. Net

Net Avatar

Are you mainly US based not-a-guild? I noticed that most of your meetings are rather late (or quite early) for European player.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Aleister Aurum

Aleister Aurum Avatar

Yep I experienced that too.
    I would have been rather early early in the morning for me to take part in this meeting (like 2-3 a. m. !).

The town itself was pretty.
    It misses some little streams and maybe a pond, but all in all I would like to settle there, simply to get away from the overcrowded capital.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Net

Net Avatar

Yeah, I like it and I see that a lot of great people are either in PaxLair or supporters. So if I get package with two lots Ii might want to have secondary lot in PaxLair. I want my primary lot to be in one of bigger cities, I quite like Owl's Head, but I do not know what the other cities will be like yet. However PaxLair seems like a great city for interaction with other players.

14. Winfield

We have traditionally been based on the U.S. East Coast time zone since the PaxLair in UO is on the Chesapeake Shard (a U.S. East Coast server). So Eastern U.S. Time became the standard that everyone knew in our city. But we've had citizens from all over the world and we also spent time with friends on Europa. During the busiest years, PaxLair was nearly 24/7 and people were from around the globe.

PaxLair in New Britannia will likely be based on Greenwich Mean Time (GMT), which does not change with the seasons, so everyone can know what time events are in PaxLair. It's inevitable some events and meetings will be tied to the Eastern U.S. time zone, but there's plenty of room for more events and meetings for people in other time zones. After all, PaxLair will be built and hopefully last for a long time.

15. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

With the new player town options revealed, do you have plans to purchase a player town in game? Will PaxLair have someone purchase this ahead of time, or will you be trying to raise in game funds later?

Burnden Park and Time Lord like this.
  16. Father Aquila

Father Aquila Avatar

I would like to know the answer to this also please. I bet all the communities are currently discussing this - its a hot topic over at the Bear Tavern for sure :)

17. Winfield

PaxLair has a Player Owned City land area. We are very excited about the many possibilities this will be bring for the PaxLair player town and hopefully other player towns too! City planning and ideas from citizens, friends, guilds, establishments, enemies, and more ... are underway of course! We also want to work with many other towns too (embassies, trade agreements, library exchanges, roving festivals, etc.). I think there's a lot of time to figure things out. We will try some ideas in each of the pre-alpha releases as best we can and involve as many people as possible.

18. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Paxlair has an enviable and well earned reputation. Despite proposing an alternative city for people to live in, I know that players would do well to live in Paxlair. Naturally, it would be great to build bridges between the communities. Shared festivals and library exchanges sounds perfect. :)

RDouglas, Soleidad, Brian and 7 others like this.
  19. Aleister Aurum

Aleister Aurum Avatar

Yeah, I think so too.
    I might not be into the interacting RPG part, but it will be funny to gather some "neighbours" for a jolly adventure there.
    Also gardening and other activities are lots of more fun together, then just doing all the things you might be able to do alone.

I prefer one location to settle down.
    Apart from RL monetary reasons, it would be too confusing for me and my friends, since we would share the house for our purposes.
    Currently I am trying to decide what kind of lot and house I should purchase.

20. stile

stile Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.